TOMB RAIDER Reboot (49% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen TOMB RAIDER (2018), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
First Silent Hill was great second one was trash. RE series is pretty good up until like #5.

A lot of people dislike the last one, and I'm not going to argue that it's not a problematic movie, but it has some cool scenes and a lot of cool visuals as well.

I enjoyed this movie for what it is. Not a block buster or anything but a good movie for the family.

I thought Daddy's Home 2 started off badly and felt really generic for about the first 45 minutes. But then it turned a corner and improved a good bit. I ended up enjoying it overall.

A pretty fun way to kill a few hours over the holidays.

Hmm, debating as to whether or not to see this in about an hour.

Bored on a Sunday.

I'll never know why they haven't made a Metal Gear movie yet. It would be hard to screw that up.

Um..... no.

The thing about the Metal Gear series, is its storylines - both within the individual titles and the series as a whole.

It'd be VERY difficult to summarize one game's story into a 2-hour movie, and we all know Hollywood sucks with adaptations of videogames, and about every other kind of adaptation as well.

Take Star Wars for example, anyone who's familiar with the Expanded Universe and what happens after Return of the Jedi knows Disney had a wealth of material to pick and choose the absolute best parts and adapt them into a new trilogy. Instead, they've done The Force Awakens (Ep7) and The Last Jedi (Ep8). The only Star Wars fans I personally know who are looking forward to Ep9, are kids.

Hollywood can't adapt videogames into movies. Period. They've tried multiple times, and the two moderate successes (Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill) spawned two of the absolute worst sequels ever. Do I need to go into the other dozen of cinematic embarassments?

For those who are Metal Gear fans, you don't want this movie to be made. Play the games over to feel the nostalgia, and imagine what an awesome movie it would be if YOU were making it, but realise an actual Hollywood movie of Metal Gear would be absolute shit in comparison to how you imagine it should be.

Leave the shitty sequels out of it, and Silent Hill is still better than RE.

RE1 had some good moments though.

Manson doing the soundtrack was pretty awesome.

I still remember going to see Silent Hill in the theater and thinking that it was fairly boring. Some nice visuals, and pretty good acting, but not all that interesting of a film overall.

I've never argued that the RE films are great cinema or that they don't have problems, but they are at least pretty fun for the most part (sans the boring-as-shit third one). Personally, I enjoy Apocalypse the most and I'd probably put Afterlife at #2.

The first one is okay. I think the first 30 minutes or so are pretty good, and there are other "good moments," as you say, but if I were to sit down and rewatch the series right now I wouldn't put it at the top of my list for entries I was most enthused to check out again.

A lot of people dislike the last one, and I'm not going to argue that it's not a problematic movie, but it has some cool scenes and a lot of cool visuals as well.

The last two were pretty much unwatchable to me. I enjoyed the rest of the series quite a bit.

The last two were pretty much unwatchable to me. I enjoyed the rest of the series quite a bit.

The fifth wasn't great. There were some cool ideas there, but the execution left something to be desired. The first 30 minutes or so were pretty cool, though.

I think the main reason to watch the sixth was the strong visual style and a few key, cool scenes. I think it probably gets a little more hate than it should.

The biggest downfall of the series has always been the writing. Paul W.S. Anderson, I think, is a great visual director. But unfortunately he's not much of a writer.

Apparently Tomb Raider only made $24 million domestically, and in fact it got beat by Black Panther in domestic box office despite Black Panther being in its fifth week of release.

But it looks like TR made $126 million globally.

All of that is very weird to me. For one, I expected a stronger domestic take. For another, the international box office was stronger than I expected.

The original Tomb Raider was 2001 made $47 million its first weekend, and that's not even adjusted for inflation.

Why is a superhero film in its fifth week of release beating out a new film that's based on a popular property and starring an Oscar winner?

Apparently Tomb Raider only made $24 million domestically, and in fact it got beat by Black Panther in domestic box office despite Black Panther being in its fifth week of release.

But it looks like TR made $126 million globally.

All of that is very weird to me. For one, I expected a stronger domestic take. For another, the international box office was stronger than I expected.

The original Tomb Raider was 2001 made $47 million its first weekend, and that's not even adjusted for inflation.

Why is a superhero film in its fifth week of release beating out a new film that's based on a popular property and starring an Oscar winner?

I could have sworn that the budget was over 100 million according to BOM

But I just checked and its only 94 million now

Well I'm glad its lower than I thought it was

How much do you think it will end the domestic run with?

60 ish?

I would guess around $60 to $70 million.

One problem is that Pacific Rim comes out next week and then RPO the week after that, so that's going to cut into what it would make if it had a sleepy weekend or two ahead of it where it would be the most attractive option at the theater.

Back