Today's Featured Wikipedia Article: Phantasmagoria

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Wikipedia's daily feed is one of my favorite sources of news and this-day-in-history education. Today's featured article was a videogame:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasmagoria_(video_game)
Phantasmagoria_Coverart.png

Wikipedia said:
Phantasmagoria is a point-and-click adventure horror video game designed by Roberta Williams for MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows. Released by Sierra On-Line on August 24, 1995, it tells the story of Adrienne Delaney (Victoria Morsell), a writer who moves into a remote mansion and finds herself terrorized by supernatural forces. Made at the peak of popularity for interactive movie games, Phantasmagoria features live-action actors and footage, both during cinematic scenes and within the three-dimensional rendered environments of the game itself. Upon release, it was noted for its violence, and sexual content.

Williams had long planned to design a horror game, but she waited eight years for software technology to improve before doing so. More than 200 people were involved in the making of Phantasmagoria, which was based on Williams' 550-page script, about four times the length of an average Hollywood screenplay. It took more than two years to develop and four months to film. Originally budgeted for US$800,000, the game ultimately cost $4.5 million to develop, and it was filmed in a $1.5 million studio Sierra built specifically for the game.

Directed by Peter Maris, the game features a cast of 25 actors, all performing in front of a blue screen. While most games at the time featured 80 to 100 backgrounds, Phantasmagoria includes more than 1,000. A professional Hollywood special effects house worked on the game, and the musical score includes a neo-Gregorian chant performed by a 135-voice choir. Sierra stressed it was intended for adult audiences. The company willingly submitted it to a ratings system, and included a password-protected censoring option within the game to tone down the graphic content.

Released on seven discs after multiple delays, Phantasmagoria was a financial success, grossing $12 million in its opening weekend and becoming one of the best-selling games of 1995. Sierra strongly promoted the game. It received mixed reviews, earning praise for its graphics and suspenseful tone, but was criticized for its slow pacing and easy puzzles. The game drew controversy, particularly due to a rape scene. CompUSA and other retailers declined to carry it, religious organizations and politicians condemned it, and it was refused classification altogether in Australia. A sequel, Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh, was released in 1996, although Williams was not involved.

I didn't play this game, but it reminded me of a similar game that came out a year earlier called The 11th Hour that a junior high friend shared with me.

Phantasmagoria was made by one of my favorite game studios from my youth: Sierra Entertainment. This was one of the dominant PC gaming companies during the 80's and 90's, perhaps the largest, and was out of Washington (remember Seattle is the HQ for Microsoft, and the Pacific Northwest was as much a scene for computer engineers during that period as Silicon Valley).

In fact, this studio is of particular interest to me, not just because so many of my fondest memories were playing their games as a youth, but because they technically were a California startup; first in Simi Valley, then later at the base of the Sierra mountain range near the Yosemite Valley in a town called Oakhurst (east of Merced); explaining, naturally, the source of their name.

Of course, this was possibly the biggest game studio in existence in the mid-90's, bigger than EA, and yet they disappeared. In searching for the above trailer, because I couldn't remember any promotion for that game, I happened upon the following vid. As these guys mention there wasn't even a college degree targeting video games, specifically, in the late 80's, and many programmers who were trying to pay the bills started in accounting software (because Microsoft Excel wasn't a thing yet):

If you want to skip to the recounting of the company's "scandal" and downfall, skip to the 44-minute hashmark, but hands down my favorite line from this vid comes while they explain a tradition where a new member to a monthly company house party had to take 7 straight shots called the Line of Death: "We were made of magic and rubber back then."

Ironically, the downfall of Sierra and the downfall of Seagram's (the drink company) appear to have charted in parallel although that is only mentioned in passing in a single sentence. I read an interesting interview about that, separately, several few months ago-- a strange coincidence:
Charles Bronfman opens up about Seagram's demise: 'It is a disaster'

It's a fun conversation explaining the strange implosion of one of the biggest forces in VG history that ultimately lost its development identity in a series of corporate takeovers. The short of it is that ID Software ran them over with the advent of 3D gaming, while Sierra failed to adapt, and this converged with a public accounting scandal following the first takeover.

For any retro PC gamer there are a lot of reminders of little ins and outs of gaming during that period that have probably since escaped your mind (ex. early Thrustmaster joysticks, paid tip lines, PC payment plans, multi-disc games, etc). This morning has been a nostalgia quest for me. Seeing the Red Baron cover is giving me endless flight/driving sim flashbacks. In fact, it's not a Sierra Game, but from Googling around this nostalgia, I just found out that Don Mattrick, the global heel who bungled the Xbox One launch, and did just as poorly heading Zynga, was one of a 2-man team who designed one of my all-time favorite games: the racing game series Test Drive.

66-Mattrick.jpg

I likely never would have known how much joy this nerd I've scorned brought me if it wasn't for Wikipedia. Thank you, Wiki, and thank you, Don. The world ain't all bad.

Had to save up paper route money to buy that game and then got awkward first time boners from the woman.

Sierra games were the bomb back in the day.

Gabriel Knight

Hero's/King's/Police Quest

Leisure Suit Larry (not as much)

I remember finding a major bug in PQ3 where you kept driving to the burning house. But I'll never forget the scene where Marie gets stabbed or when you get into the shootout at the Golden Nugget.

GK still holds up well now. Just finished it again last year.

That game was pretty brutal, but as had as it is, there was actually a sequel that went way into weird territory.

Sierra games were the bomb back in the day.

Gabriel Knight

Hero's/King's/Police Quest

Leisure Suit Larry (not as much)

I remember finding a major bug in PQ3 where you kept driving to the burning house. But I'll never forget the scene where Marie gets stabbed or when you get into the shootout at the Golden Nugget.

GK still holds up well now. Just finished it again last year.

Man, Police Quest: Open Season creeped me out as a young lad when you corner the cross dressing serial killer and then use an improvised blowtorch, consisting of a lighter and hair spray canister, to kill them. At that age, I had no idea crossdressers existed and looking back then they probably shouldn't have sold me that game lol.

I never played the 11th Hour but the 7th Guest was the shit.

Back