To those who say Johnson is stupid for not taking the Dillashaw fight.

Well, considering that by choosing Borg he didn't make any money yet and has no guaranty that he'll show on weight next time either...
Smh, but that means nothing.

His potential payday got delayed by a month or so, so what!

Let's say Borg drops out again? The UFC will have no choice but to pay him, and he likely will fight Pettis or Cejudo next.

You say it like there was zero chance that TJ could have missed the weight. You think TJ walks around at 135lbs? It's a steady cut to 135lbs, never mind getting all the way down to 125lbs. Would he have made it? I think so, but that isn't the point here.

The smaller you are the bigger the risks you have to take to be popular with the casual fan, and that's not even considering that if DJ is the least popular champ, other fighters in his divisions are less popular than contenders from other divisions. The math isn't how much DJ would have made from a TJ fight, the math is how much of a risk does he have to take in fighting to be as marketable as other, non-dwarfish fighters. And the biggest benefit of him fighting TJ wouldn't be a one-time money pull, it would be in raising his profile and visibility and potentially getting people interested in his streak and future fights. Simple as that.
You might be right, but Stipe Miocic by your math doesn't need to take any risks to be a star.

How's that working out for him?

You might be right, but Stipe Miocic by your math doesn't need to take any risks to be a star.

How's that working out for him?
Stipe is a charisma black hole.

A KO artists, salt-of-the-earth, knocked-a-guy-out-with-a-leg-kick, golden gloves boxer, div I wrestler, still a firefighter, doesn't duck fights champion and couldn't say an interesting word to save his life. However, one could argue that the HWs are much more popular than they ever should be considering the depth of the division and the perpetual game of hot potato they keep playing with the belt. Imagine if Flyweights were all old-ass, shot fighters, taking turns holding the belt; FLW would be even less popular than it is now.

You spoke bollocks in your own explanation.

You essentially criticize how nobody knows who Demetrious' opponents are. You say that being a champion isn't enough, that you must have some element of mainstream exposure and your opponents must be known.

Then you immediately try to sell TJ as being a former champion and a top 3 BW LOL! You really think any of that translates into anyone knowing you? Dude, the guy hasn't even got 200k Twitter followers. The guy is one of the best MMA fighters in the world and he hasn't even got a fifth of a million social media followers. The guy has coached on a TV show and still has less followers than Demetrious Johnson. Yet you're criticizing Johnson purely on his widespread appeal or lack thereof.

You are hilarious!

Still doesn't mean it would not be a big win for DJ. Or do you really think any of his previous wins were more significant for him as this one could have been? If you don't see that, we have nothing more to talk about. Have a nice day.

Only difference in pay for Dillashaw fight was they were going to give him PPV points and he was concerned they werent actually worth anything since they only kicked in after 200,000 buys.

Still doesn't mean it would not be a big win for DJ. Or do you really think any of his previous wins were more significant for him as this one could have been? If you don't see that, we have nothing more to talk about. Have a nice day.
Nobody is arguing how difficult the fight would be or what it would do for his fight legacy - but if we are talking money, the fight makes no sense. I don't get this whole, "oh he would have got PPV points" argument, like this would have been some mega-fight.

TJ would've been his highest profile fight, but he'd rather fight someone no one knows or gives a fuck about to be safe.

Here is how you make this fight happen. Have TJ announce a mive to FLW. Set him up against Dodson to avenge his loss and earn a shot at DJ. If he wins then boom you have DJ v TJ. Net gain for both parties. Simple.

Nobody is arguing how difficult the fight would be or what it would do for his fight legacy - but if we are talking money, the fight makes no sense. I don't get this whole, "oh he would have got PPV points" argument, like this would have been some mega-fight.

OK, I know you stated in the OP, that money is your main point. I get that point.

1. I must admit that in my humble opinion DJ would have made more money fighting TJ than he made by fighting any of his recent oponents.
2. I don't say the number of Twitter followers means nothing. But it should not take part in matchmaking at all and mainly it does not show how many people actually know who TJ Dillashaw is. Example: I know very well who TJ is. Do I follow him on Twitter? No, I don't.
3. By not accepting the fight DJ hardly made some new fans. I think it's actually the opposite.

To me TJ Dillashaw is recently a lot bigger name than anyone DJ ever beat. With all due respect to the FLW conteders.

Again, in my opinion he should have accepted the fight against TJ. I would definitely watch the fight.

Back