To those who say Johnson is stupid for not taking the Dillashaw fight.

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The angle that is continuously pushed is, he would have made more money than he usually does, it would have been his biggest purse ever, he would have got PPV points, TJ has to cut down so why is he scared?

Demetrious Johnson's last 3 fight purses have been 440k, 350k, 255k - that is a total of just over $1.04 mil.

You tell me now, how much more do you reckon he gets to fight TJ? His base rate for his last two fights has been 350k, would it be the same? Possibly. Let's just say it was higher, let's say 500k.

These are all rumours, but it was said that Conor McGregor made anywhere between 7-8 million from the Diaz fight at UFC 202. He was given 3 million to show, which means that he took home 5 million or so from PPV, and that event did a reported 1.65 million buys. Simple math would show that he would then have taken home 5% of the overall PPV revenue. 1.65 million x $60 is 99 million, 5 million of 99 million is 5.05%.

Let's just say the numbers above are roughly true. That would mean that Demetrious at a MAXIMUM would be entitled to 5% of the PPV. TJ would also be taking home some PPV, I have no doubt in that. I also have a very hard time believing that Demetrious would be taking home the same % as Conor, so with that said how much would he really be getting? 2%?

2% of what is the better question lol. You think a card headlined by DJ/TJ sells PPV? The card would struggle to do anything more than 250k buys, it would be a miracle of promotion if they were to do anything upward of 300k.

So again going back to the maths. $60 PPV x 250k potential buys = $15 million - that is a horrible turnover. 2% of 15 million is 300k. Demetrious could make that fighting Ray Borg or Sergio Pettis.

My point is, why on earth are we using money as a tool to criticize Johnson? He doesn't want to face a bigger, tougher fighter, for marginally more money - why is that a bad business move? People are making threads left, right and center about how he's demoted to the co-main event and they are acting like he blew it somehow.

As I said before, it's the long game. Why risk a loss to Dillashaw? Lose your belt, lose your clout as champion and therefore earn less. If Dillashaw knocked Johnson out, you really think Johnson is making 350k to show in a non-title fight!? If Dillashaw was a non-title fight I think he'd take the fight with PPV points in a heartbeat, but why risk your future cheque, that would be silly.

I would have thought that you'd all know how corrupt the UFC are by this stage. They would feel no way about demoting Demetrious to a 150k payday if he lost that title to Dillashaw.

MMA fans are never happy. It's really that simple.

<Fedor23>

Blah, blah, blah.

He's beaten nobody of note. He finally had a chance to and cement his legacy but bitched out for some no name that cant make weight.

Fuck the Mouse.

People don't realise fighters are in this for the money.

OMG your title..Do you even English brah?

tenor.gif

He waa finally given an opportunity to prove how great he is and establish himself as a new star. Instead, he choose to fight a nobody in order to set the record that nobody cares about.

They who dick are dumb for not stealing the snake battle

That long ass post and you couldn't even get the first sentence in the thread title right.

"Those who Johnson"

<36>

I'm not sure what the title means but the correct response is ''bout tree fiddy''

It gives him more credibility as a champ since Dillashaw is not the usual green fighter that MM beats. He'll never be a big sell, but beating TJ helps

Guy has beaten every Flyweight of note

Who? The legendary Joseph Benevidez? Top p4p GOAT Henry Cejudo? The unbeatable Wilson Reis?

Haha

He had a chance to beat a champion, a guy that is widely respected in the MMA community and ran from the chance. And lets not fuck around, MM is a multi millionaire, if he retired tommorow he'd have no issues and could certainly send his kids to the finest colleges. He's not some poor 35 year old with one chance at a decent paycheck. What a disingenuous argument.

I didnt read all that but im sorry mm would make more money if not now than in the long run if he faced and beat tj over some cans. the fans know when you are facing cans and when you are facing good fighters.

The smaller you are the bigger the risks you have to take to be popular with the casual fan, and that's not even considering that if DJ is the least popular champ, other fighters in his division are less popular than the contenders from other divisions. The math isn't how much DJ would have made from a TJ fight, the math is how much of a risk does he have to take in fighting to be as marketable as other, non-dwarfish fighters. And the biggest benefit of him fighting TJ wouldn't be a one-time money pull, it would be in raising his profile and visibility and potentially getting people interested in his streak and future fights. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Back