To those who are trying to clown Branch for tapping....

Not sure why they don't just turtle and stop moving. He could have laid flat covered up and stop moving and they would have called it.

I don't see why tapping to strikes is ridiculed by some other fighters, and especially by any fans. Refs fuck up all the time with late stoppages, so why is it surprising that a fighter could admit to being done before the ref steps in?

so you can tap to a sub, to avoid a dislocation or break, or even before being choked unconscious (which is relatively harmless), but not to avoid a concussion and possible brain damage when your head is being smashed in? ummmm, ok.

Branch looked good until that finish. Rockhold is just solid on the ground. I think Branch could take a lot of guys in the top 15 rankings at 185. Maybe Branch vs Gastelum next?

Ah, here we go with the same dumb fucking debate that comes up every several months, amongst others.

The first thing you have to understand is REGARDLESS of what "professional fighters think" of tapping to strikes; their opinion is formed under completely different merit than yours as a forum member. So, agreeing with them is taking their opinion but not really understanding why.

You'll also find quite a few fighters (that make up a lot fucking more than 0.01%) who believe in self preservation. Tapping out in an impossible, or defeated position is what it is. We aren't in the Colosseum, fighting against the thumb turn of Caesar. We are fighting for income and longevity in the fight game. Every now and then, you accept defeat then start again. Otherwise you risk a lot more than gaining "honour" in some fictional fan-boy mentality. Ask Gary Goodridge his opinion.

Also, the old-skool MMA mentality was a lot different to now, for almost every fighter. You have punch-drunk guys who might not have any back-up plan outside of throwing down in the cage, trying to tell current fighters that they should have the same attitude they had. Well, fuck your stupid ideas and fuck your call outs of current full time pro fighters. Times change. We are all individuals with different plans. If you think we should all adhere to your Neanderthal idiot thinking, then you're a fucking idiot too.

If that's the case, you should get paid less than the old school guys did.

Shogun never officially tapped because it was after the fight was over. Same thing with Big Nog/Mir 2. GSP and Branch both tapped 'during the fight'. Big difference there.
It's only a difference in terms of the official result. If we're looking at their mentality, they thought the fight was still going and tapped to avoid further punishment, which is a smart thing to do. If you think it's cowardly to tap to strikes, you can argue that what they did was worse since even though the beating had already stopped, they still wanted to tap out. In GSP or Branch's case, the beating was ongoing when they tapped out.

It's not the fans who started the whole "real fighters don't tap to strikes" shit. It was the fighters themselves. There's a reason seeing a guy tap to strikes is such a rare occurrence at the the highest levels.
Ya because the majority of mma fighters aren't athletes. They're "fighters" and by that I mean people with no exemplary physical ability, who accept that their job is getting the shit beat out of them. Prime reason why throwing in the towel is so much more prevalent in boxing.

He was done why not tap he wasn't getting out of that position.

Not sure why they don't just turtle and stop moving. He could have laid flat covered up and stop moving and they would have called it.

Branch was too panicked. Didn't have the mental strength to do what most other fighters do in that situation.

Imagine how fast a guy like Branch would have tapped out if he had been in Frank Mir's position at UFC 100, helplessly pinned under a 300 pound man mountain, getting smashed in the face with lunch boxes.

Frank Mir should be the poster boy for not tapping to strikes.

I actually agree with you. In fact, if you think about it...tapping to choke is more pussy than strikes (although I don't think anyone who steps in the cage is a pussy).

Strikes you're taking legit brain damage. Choke you'll just sleep.

By that logic, Conor is more of a pussy than Branch.

I actually agree with you. In fact, if you think about it...tapping to choke is more pussy than strikes (although I don't think anyone who steps in the cage is a pussy).

Strikes you're taking legit brain damage. Choke you'll just sleep.

By that logic, Conor is more of a pussy than Branch.

Yes, by the logic you yourself created, a fighter you don't like is even lower. Incredible point.

The only people who are trying to clown him are people who have never trained a day in their life

branch is a bitch. he claims the street and taps out to strikes.

wanna know something CM Punk stayed in there longer and took more punishment and didn't tap to strikes.

branch is a bitch. he claims the street and taps out to strikes.

wanna know something CM Punk stayed in their longer and took more punishment and didn't tap to strikes.
CM Punk iz 4 real dog

He had to tap cuz the ref was sleeping

if luke had tapped after branch hit him the first time, he would have lost. Most of you guys try to be empathetic but there is a point at which if a guy got punched once and quit, you would probably look down on him, yet he would be tapping for the same reason, to avoid damage.

Tapping to hard GnP when you don't get out should be as common as tapping to a choke.
lol @ at the fat neckbeards ITT trying to play tough on the internet

I guess he watched Luke vs The Chris before the fight.

Back