To the OG’s... Pride FC, All day - All day!

Rampage was one of the most unique fighters we have ever seen.

He had four years experience in wrestling during which time he also exchanged his knowledge of the sport for Karate and striking techniques with another future MMA fighter.

After being expelled from community college wrestling, Jackson turned his eyes to prizefighting. Rampage was very raw and green in his first few fights in King of the Cage yet still showed flashes of amazing potential.

Once he hit PRIDE Slampage became a thing.

I remember Quadros screaming "Oh! Ishikawa getting rocked! Ishikawa getting rocked!"

He was also getting ragdolled quite effortlessly.

vimut3.jpg

I thought he broke Satake's back with these slams. Satake actually could not continue after a horrendous landing.

264l4rt.jpg

Poor old past his prime Igor had no chance of stopping the slams. He too lost by injury due to a slam.

dvj8rt.jpg

Quinton-Jackson-vs.-Igor-Vovchanchyn.gif

Sorry @DaPunkMinowaMan but these counters to the Kimura were quite effective

30uwv81.jpg

And when Page got somebody down you better have the ambulance waiting outside and the stretcher already at ringside. He is one of the most underrated Ground and Pound artists in the history of the game.

Poor Punk ate this knee as flush as you can get.

ftkjed.jpg

I like how Mikhail protects that side of his head from the knees with his forearms but Rampage adjusts by altering the angle with the infamous Skyscraper Knees.

rvj190.jpg

Quinton is one of the funniest dudes in MMA but I think the most angry I have ever seen him was when the referee gave both him and Randleman a yellow card for stalling/inactivity. Rampage loved his money more than anything and he was extremely mad about that percentage being cut from his paycheck. He sure took it out on poor Kev.

iz598j.jpg

I know Rampage had a lot of wrestling and MMA training by this point but you could tell the man was an experienced and skilled street fighter. That was literally his style. (He called it "whoop dat ass style" but it was basically a mix of wrestling, boxing and street fighting.)

I will never forget that first beat down he served up for Chuck. The commentary was unforgettable in that fight with Dana White being forced to watch his boy get wrecked.

Rampage's striking was rapidly evolving around this time. He was no longer just Slampage. He was hurting everybody on the feet.

f1ighu.jpg

It's a little difficult to watch Chuck get violently stopped like that. He took a lot of damage and appeared fatigued. He also later said he had a torn quadricep in that fight. Regardless, Dana White was out a quarter million dollars for his arrogance. (If the bet was indeed real.) Those punches to the ribs and then the elbows to the body were extremely brutal. I really felt bad for Chuck that night. It really disappointed me because i wanted to see Liddell vs Wanderlei but Rampage absolutely earned his spot in the finals.

4hsdxv_th.jpg

Rampage never looked better than he did in his first two fights in the UFC. The way he KO'ed Chuck in the Octagon like it was nothing and then the all out back and forth WAR with Dan Henderson showed me that the 2007 version of Rampage has a shot at beating anyone. His wrestling and boxing and all around game was at its climax when he edged out Hendo.

Unfortunately, the man went on a downward spiral in his personal life and he did not bring his A game to the Forrest fight.

The man had a great career in PRIDE full of ups and downs and he absolutely peaked his first year in the UFC. It is a shame he went so steeply downhill after capturing UFC gold but we can never forget how damn good he was for a while there.

Last edited:
1inyud.jpg

so many good events, so many good fighters and fights.

Pride FC is my one and only true mma love!

This is why old heads are depressed. Oh well. Take what you can get.

Cheers, brothers. So bummed going to Saitama Super Arena and only seeing a fraction of the people showing for MMA events.

It was a bit depressing in a way that Pride ended when it did as I think if it had carried on for another 12-18 months it would arguably have reached the end of the generation that pushed though in the early 00's. Fedor reamcthing Crocop, maybe fighting Barnett plus the potential for Shogun taking over from Wanderlei at the top at 205lbs.
Cro Cop lost very much with demise of Pride.
2007 should have been his year, after winning Grand Prix. Year for him to capitalize on all of his previous effort.

If Pride continued, he would have got another shot v Fedor to try to become no. 1, and possibly rematch with Nogueira.

Insted, he had to fight a row of unknow, but young and hungry dudes in totally different rules, to draw US casual public to buy PPVs. And even winning UFC title would not have brought him anything, since UFC title didnt represent the best fighter in the world untill 2010, and he was allready 2nd.

Last edited:

He had four years of high school wrestling during which time he also exchanged his knowledge of the sport for Karate and striking techniques with another future MMA fighter.

After being expelled from community college wrestling, Jackson turned his eyes to prizefighting. Rampage was very raw and green in his first few fights in King of the Cage yet still showed flashes of amazing potential.

I remember Quadros screaming "Oh! Ishikawa getting rocked! Ishikawa getting rocked!"

He was also ragdolled quite effortlessly.

vimut3.jpg

I thought he broke Satake's back with these slams. Satake actually could not continue after a horrendous landing.

264l4rt.jpg

Poor old past his prime Igor had no chance of stopping the slams. He too lost by injury due to a slam.

dvj8rt.jpg

30uwv81.jpg

And when Page got somebody down you better have the ambulance waiting outside and the stretcher already at ringside. He is one of the most underrated Ground and Pound artists in the history of the game.

ftkjed.jpg

I like how Mikhail protects that side of his head from the knees with his forearms but Rampage adjusts by altering the angle with the infamous Skyscraper Knees.

rvj190.jpg

Quinton is one of the funniest dudes in MMA but I think the most angry I have ever seen him was when the referee gave both him and Randleman a yellow card for stalling/inactivity. Rampage loved his money more than anything and he was extremely mad about that percentage being cut from his paycheck. He sure took it out on poor Kev.

iz598j.jpg

I know Rampage had a lot of wrestling and MMA training by this point but you could tell the man was an experienced and skilled street fighter. That was literally his style. (He called it "whoop dat ass style" but it was basically a mix of wrestling, boxing and street fighting.)

I will never forget that first beat down he served up for Chuck. The commentary was unforgettable in that fight with Dana White being forced to watch his boy get wrecked.

Rampage's striking was rapidly evolving around this time. He was no longer just Slampage. He was hurting everybody on the feet.

f1ighu.jpg

It's a little difficult to watch Chuck get violently stopped like that. He took a lot of damage and appeared fatigued. He also later said he had a torn quadricep in that fight. Regardless, Dana White was out a quarter million dollars for his arrogance. (If the bet was indeed real.) Those punches to the ribs and then the elbows to the body were extremely brutal. I really felt bad for Chuck that night. It really disappointed me because i wanted to see Liddell vs Wanderlei but Rampage absolutely earned his spot in the finals.

4hsdxv_th.jpg

Rampage never looked better than he did in his first two fights in the UFC. The way he KO'ed Chuck in the Octagon like it was nothing and then the all out back and forth WAR with Dan Henderson showed me that the 2007 version of Rampage has a shot at beating anyone. His wrestling and boxing and all around game was at its climax when he edged out Hendo.

Unfortunately, the man went on a downward spiral in his personal life and he did not bring his A game to the Forrest fight.

The man had a great career in PRIDE full of ups and downs and he absolutely peaked his first year in the UFC. It is a shame he went so steeply downhill after capturing UFC gold but we can never forget how damn good he was for a while there.

"I WANT AGAIN! AGAIN!"

Minowamanpissedoff.gif

He had four years of high school wrestling during which time he also exchanged his knowledge of the sport for Karate and striking techniques with another future MMA fighter.

He was also ragdolled quite effortlessly.

vimut3.jpg

264l4rt.jpg

dvj8rt.jpg

30uwv81.jpg

ftkjed.jpg

rvj190.jpg

iz598j.jpg

f1ighu.jpg

4hsdxv_th.jpg

# "This isn't what we trained for, isn't the gameplan"

I still wonder what would have happened if Lil Nog fought Wanderlei at PRIDE 33. He was very deserving at that time. A lot of people thought he would get the next shot. I feel like Henderson was chosen because the show was in Vegas and they wanted to put an American in the main event.

Wanderlei vs Rogerio may have been a beautiful fight. A very interesting clash of styles. Nog would try to stay on the outside with his jab and Wand would try to move into close range and unleash hooks. i wonder if Nog would have had any success if he shot for a takedown. Would have been a great fight.

Rogerio really underestimated his unknown opponent that night but I feel he would have brought his A game to a title shot.

I'm still here ;)

PRIDE for life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back