To cut, or to clean bulk. That is the question.

Dick

Gaethje BMF + LW Champ 2024
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Basically, I was off work for 9 months after getting tendonitis in 3 different tendons in my dominant arm. I ended up putting on about 30 lbs of fat but all in the mid-section (Natural ectomorph). First, i dieted down about 10 lbs and then the start of January I've been in the gym 6 days a week going hard with the weights + dieting.

My stats currently: 5'9.5 , 165 lbs at %19 BF according to my scale.

Although I have upper body definition, and visible abs if flex hard enough (lol), I carry all my excess fat in my love handles and gut and it looks unnatural for someone with a naturally thin figure.

Initially I wanted to cut to %15 BF and then bulk, but now I'm wondering if I would be better off going for the clean bulk?

Also, there's so many guides and lists on what you should do with your macros that its a bit overwhelming. Some people say cut carbs and go high fat + protein. Others are saying you can still cut with high carb intake.

I'll show you an example of my daily diet and maybe you guys can help me fine tune it.

Meal #1:

Protein shake + Large coffee - 310 cal

Meal #2:

2 eggs + 12 grain bagel + 1 tbsp olive oil - 458 cal

meal #3:

Strawberry Pure Protein bar + Smoothie made with %1 Cottage cheese, Peanut butter, vanilla protein, banana - 525 cal

meal #4:

Baked sweet potato + ground Turkey + broccoli - 504 calories

Total Calories: 2107

Carbs: 227g Fat: 67g Protein: 170g

That was yesterday. Usually I try to have 5 to 6 meals a day but yesterday was an exception.

Any help would be appreciated sherbros.

A intermittent diet will preserve muscle while it breaks down your fat for energy.
Fast for 17 hours per day, then eat a big meal in the remaining hours you have left.

For example, my last meal today was at 8:30 PM, tomorrow my fast will be completed around 1:30 pm, and I will eat one big meal of 2500 calories or a meal with 190 grams of protein, which equals to my body weight.

Last edited:
How long have you been on a cut for? If its been over 16 weeks, I recommend transitioning back up to a lean bulk and working there for maybe 1/2 a year, then do a good solid cut. You might end up going to 23% BF, but after the cut you should end up at 15ish. Being on a cut too long isn't good, the low energy level, and hard to progress in strength work isn't good.

i would say cutting and bulking is bb stuff. just eat like an adult and establish healthy food choices 90% of the time.

A intermittent diet will preserve muscle while it breaks down your fat for energy.
Fast for 17 hours per day, then eat a big meal in the remaining hours you have left.

For example, my last meal today was at 8:30 PM, tomorrow my fast will be completed around 1:30 pm, and I will eat one big meal of 2500 calories or a meal with 190 grams of protein, which equals to my body weight.
That might work for me because I've been working out fasted in the morning on an empty stomach. From what I understand, If I keep a steady dosage of BCAAS after my workout until its time for my first meal, an immediate post workout meal isn't so crucial?

How long have you been on a cut for? If its been over 16 weeks, I recommend transitioning back up to a lean bulk and working there for maybe 1/2 a year, then do a good solid cut. You might end up going to 23% BF, but after the cut you should end up at 15ish. Being on a cut too long isn't good, the low energy level, and hard to progress in strength work isn't good.

I've been "dieting" for about 3 - 4 months, but the last month or 2 I've hit a bit of a plateau in losing fat in my mid section.

i would say cutting and bulking is bb stuff. just eat like an adult and establish healthy food choices 90% of the time.
"Eat like an adult" ? WTF does that even mean. I'm getting some condescending tones from your pointless post. My goal is clearly to build muscle while losing fat, so yes I'm interested in the "bodybuilding stuff"

I've been "dieting" for about 3 - 4 months, but the last month or 2 I've hit a bit of a plateau in losing fat in my mid section.

"Eat like an adult" ? WTF does that even mean. I'm getting some condescending tones from your pointless post. My goal is clearly to build muscle while losing fat, so yes I'm interested in the "bodybuilding stuff"
That's not a good sign, if you're eating the same calories and not losing weight, your metab has dropped adjusting to the deficit. If increasing your activity level does not help, then I suggest reverse dieting back up to maintenance then eventually a lean bulk

That might work for me because I've been working out fasted in the morning on an empty stomach. From what I understand, If I keep a steady dosage of BCAAS after my workout until its time for my first meal, an immediate post workout meal isn't so crucial?

BCAAs have calories. It would beat the point. However, BCAAs does preserve muscle, and is a good alternative to the diet.

getting fat on purpose and cutting down again over and over again doesn't sound like a mature way to deal with nutrition. at least for me.
and i don't want to put you or bb down. just my opinion. anyways, i wish you success.

Given your stats, I'd be more concerned with putting on muscle before working on dropping the BF%. IMO, a larger part of the equation is going to be your training.

Ithink 170g of protein is a little bit low . How many pounds are you losing per week ? I usually cut on 2450 to lose 1lb per week .
As for what to do, you should start to bulk now imo, i'm nearly in the same situation as you, my obliques are visible but my love handles are hiding my abs. i'm about 11-12% bf @ 6'0 170 lbs i started to look skinny and yet i can't seem to get rid of my lower ab fat .

I think he means eat normal sized portions of healthy food. Chicken, fish, steak, beans, lots of veggies. Lay off the sweets and simple carbs, i.e. you can have that stuff, but not too much.

IMO bulking or cutting is an optimization that you do once you're already in good shape. Most people need to gain muscle and lose fat to get that athletic look. Based on what you said it sounds like you're in that category. If you clean up your diet and train consistently for a couple of years (yes years) you'll get a lot more out of it than the bro science you're gonna get in this thread.

Good luck.

I think he means eat normal sized portions of healthy food. Chicken, fish, steak, beans, lots of veggies. Lay off the sweets and simple carbs, i.e. you can have that stuff, but not too much.

IMO bulking or cutting is an optimization that you do once you're already in good shape. Most people need to gain muscle and lose fat to get that athletic look. Based on what you said it sounds like you're in that category. If you clean up your diet and train consistently for a couple of years (yes years) you'll get a lot more out of it than the bro science you're gonna get in this thread.

Good luck.
My diet has been on point, no junk food at all and the most processed food I've been eating has been 1 protein bar a day. As for fat loss, I've been losing about .5 lbs a week while hitting PR's almost weekly. I'm probably just being impatient. I've upped my calories to around 2500 this week from around 2100 before.

My diet has been on point, no junk food at all and the most processed food I've been eating has been 1 protein bar a day. As for fat loss, I've been losing about .5 lbs a week while hitting PR's almost weekly. I'm probably just being impatient. I've upped my calories to around 2500 this week from around 2100 before.
It sounds like you are on the right track then. If you up your calories you might not lose any more weight but your strength/muscle gains may be faster. Both tracks will probably yield tangible benefits thought.

Okay in case anyone was curious, I bumped my calories up to around 2400-2500 (clean calories) the last week and kept up my exact same routine of working out fasted first thing in the morning (with the aid of some pre-workout and BCAAS during), with 3 cardio sessions in the week. After my regular Friday post-workout weigh in ( after protein shake ) I weighed in at 163 lbs! That's down 2 lbs since last Friday and I also increased my bench by 10 lbs.

So out of curiosity, I asked one of the trainers there if i could check my BF %.... and it came to %11..... Obviously my home BF scale is broken lol. I feel leaner, stronger and just generally better atm and I think my metabolism is slowly repairing itself after 10+ years of abuse and lack of nutritional knowledge.

Home scale impedance based bodyfat percentage measurements are so inaccurate that you're better off just making up numbers.

Back