To be fair, Maia looks pretty good for his age and against bad matchups

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
Yeah he clearly lost, but other 40 year olds are often getting brutally KOed or look like they barely want to fight anymore, Maia still has his chin and spirit he just can't do it against these young leg huggers anymore. :p

Agreed. He did be better than I thought he would

What does that say about Condit...

Horse racing and cage fighting- the 2 most unforgiving sports .

Agreed.

As we all know — or should know — by now, styles make fights. And I think it is safe to say that Woodley, Covington, and Usman are clearly the worst possible matchups for Demian Maia.

Put him against someone who doesn't have elite takedown defence and just watch the referee having to save them from being choked to death.

Last edited:
And to be honest Maia was humping Usman's leg, if anything Usman wanted the fight standing

He doesn't pick fights - anyone, anytime.
Muito Hespect!

Agreed.

As we all know — or should know — by now, styles make fights. And I think it is safe to say that Woodley, Covington, and Usman are clearly the worst possible matchups for Demian Maia.

Put him against someone who doesn't have elite takedown defence and just watch the referee saving them from being choked to death.

Matt Brown a perfect example, and Masvidal couldn't stop the backpack attack either

And to be honest Maia was humping Usman's leg, if anything Usman wanted the fight standing
True but "leg huggers" is just a term for wrestlers, whose leg hugging mastery is such that Maia can't hug their legs successfully.

Ironically, Condit has a background in leg hugging (I mean, it was in high school but even so) lol

If Maia ever perfects a power double, he'll be the scariest old man in MMA.

40 year old and fighters are still so terrified to grapple with him.

Maia has no shot unless the fight goes to the ground. Tough as nails but his striking doesn't impress anybody.

He is a grand-master.

But yes, in the UFC his lack of a power base for wrestling (take-downs) is glaring.

WAR Maia!

I think you can forget a fighters age sometimes, I think fighters fighting only 2/3 times a year makes it hard to keep track compared to other sports where you see guys week in week out, christ I'm 32 and feel like a bag of shit compared to when I was 27/28.

Even if Maia worked on feinting a double and throwing a knee he would do better.

Every time he went for a take down, or even hinted it, Usman/Covington etc would dive and sprawl, perfect for a knee KO

But Maia doesn’t train stuff like that

And that’s why he’s so horriblily crippled as a Mixed martial artist

True but "leg huggers" is just a term for wrestlers, whose leg hugging mastery is such that Maia can't hug their legs successfully.

Yes i understand, I'm just saying both Colby cheese and Usman used their wrestling mainly as defense

Agreed.

Put him against someone who doesn't have elite takedown defence and just watch the referee having to save them from being choked to death.
i might be wrong but i would say that wonderboy is well rounded enough to best maia hes not a wreslter like the fighters you mentioned

Condit never had decent TDD.

Great striker ... great chin ... good power ... good not great BJJ.
No TDD

So ... anyone with good Takedowns and either great control or BJJ should beat Condit 9 out of 10 times.

The one win for Condit being him landing something vicious before being taken down since each round starts standing like he ALMOST did to GSP.

Uh. He looked like absolute shit in every possible department.

Maybe he had a very bad night.

Maybe it's time for him to retire.

Back