TKD/Karate Kicks that Lunge to cover distance

Replay19

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What's the technique and explanation behind those TKD/Karate guys who sorta lunge forward and throw a lead leg roundhouse/sidekick/hook kick? Is it called a lunge kick or is it a different name in the respective arts? And how do you do it?

Basically this video @ 0:38

You’re lifting your knee high while pointing the bottom of your feet at the opponent while sliding forward on your back leg. All while trying to stay as upright as possible. Pretty advanced stuff to pull off live.

When I was taking tkd class once a week the instructor called it a sliding cut kick.
Cut = side kick
Gonna have to take tkd classes to learn that

Last edited:
That guy has great dexterity and movement too. Looks really cool to watch

Last edited:

Yes it's pretty cool to watch but it's hard to pull off in MMA or MT, without being dumped on your arse.......or your support leg from being smashed.

Yes it's pretty cool to watch but it's hard to pull off in MMA or MT, without being dumped on your arse.......or your support leg from being smashed.
Yeah the best example I can find is wonderboy and michael page. And they are a lot more based and conservative than ginger guy. But I wasn’t really touting the effectiveness of that in a real fight anyway. Just that the movement itself is pretty slick and fun to watch

Yeah the best example I can find is wonderboy and michael page. And they are a lot more based and conservative than ginger guy. But I wasn’t really touting the effectiveness of that in a real fight anyway. Just that the movement itself is pretty slick and fun to watch

The clips are heavily edited, it appears more flowing than it really is, it's very hard to pull off these moves even in light play sparring........it becomes more of a dance than anything else

The clips are heavily edited, it appears more flowing than it really is, it's very hard to pull off these moves even in light play sparring........it becomes more of a dance than anything else
Yes there are a lot of edits and cuts. Not a lot of continuous kickboxing going on.

I wonder how hard he can actually kick

We need @spacetime back for this!

P.S. These tapping side kicks are for scoring points in TKD matches.

Last edited:

ginger ninja trickster is top level, great example of what I mean in regards to how high level TKD is quite dangerous.

I only find the lead snapping roundhouse into 1+2 is applicable anything else is way to risky.

Venom is sick. I love watching how he brings his karate out in competition.

I think effectiveness is relative to the purpose. I'm new to karate (Shotokan). However, if we compare the strategy to a style such as boxing; not every punch (kick) is meant to stop a fight. The way the guy in the video throws his kicks with such ease, and in combination is amazing.

It reminded me of a jab. The jab is not meant to put anyone down, perhaps this kick isn't either? Serves as a good range finder, and disrupts the opponent's offense. Maybe he intends it to be used to measure distance, and stay busy. "Work off the jab"; work off the sidekick. This is my observation.

It's a side kick with a sliding or hop step with the based leg.

When you are able to throw a basic side kick with precision and relaxation you can use the momentum to hop forward.

The more relevant kick to full contact sparing I see is at 0:44. The side kick is used to disrupt the opponents balance and maintain distance like a teep. It's faster to the hip than a rear leg roundhouse to your head or ribs. Watch that again and see how much faster and how far he pushes her back, 2 or 3 steps from the failed roundhouse.

The hopping stuff I don't think is that relevant to MMA or full contact with punches/elbows to the head because for the most part the range is much closer. I think it's 'a guy' I've argued with here about distance control between MT Dutch KB and TKD or Venom Page Wonderboy, and I think we're saying the same thing, but MT/KB will shell and stalk you down with pressure while you are trying to move backwards and establish the distance to use that range. Watch Danials v Holzken as an example of what I'm saying. It was a bitter pill to swallow when I left TKD, but opened my eyes to the tactical differences in close range with pressure.

38202165_1885325711775052_17416341493383168_n.jpg

We call it a "slip kick" in our dojo, but as the comments in this thread indicate, you could call it a lot of things. It's popular in competitive point fighting, because it can cover a lot of distance and score a quick touch for a point. You can throw them out like a jab as part of your combinations, which tends to work fairly well if you get your opponent concerned about your kicks. That said, the mechanics of a slip kick can still benefit you at higher levels of contact, because you are developing that supporting-leg push. I've broken ribs with slip sidekicks, because that push off the supporting leg moves your whole bodyweight into the kick. It's also helped me lay into people with roundhouse kicks as they come in, too. To be honest, I only throw hook kicks when I'm goofing off.

Lunge steps, works good for defense too. great way to create lot of space fast if you need to bail out.

Back