TJ vs Dodson, premature stoppage?

Rational Poster

Actually the Best Poster
@plutonium
Reaction score
1.gif

Looking back now at that fight and TJ's performances since then, I can't help but think that this stoppage was a bit premature.

TJ was definitely hurt, but he was totally conscious and scrambling for a takedown when the fight was stopped. I don't think he was totally on queer street, just hit with a good shot while off balance.

What do you guys think?

always thought tj got wrecked by a flyweight even if he wasnt out cold incoming

I mean, yeah, everybody was saying that when it happened. Doesn't mean he wasn't about to get beat down even more, but they should have at least given him a chance.

Definitely a little early but I think Dodson was taking that fight regardless.... now hopefully we get a rematch in the form of a super fight... tuf finale fight then rematch when they are both champs ? History in the making

It wasn't "a bit premature".

It was a wrong stoppage.

it was early, as evidence by the sequence, he was getting scrambling for a leg (intelligent defense), and Dodson was not really landing more shots.

Funny, if you watch the gif TJ doesn't even get hit cleanly once. Dodson catches him behind the ear with his forearm which seems to rock him, then he lands like half a hammerfist on the ground before the ref swoops in.

Definitely premature.

TJ was getting put out if that fight went longer. He was acting on instincts and Herb saved him from being severely concussed.

Way too early. TJ got hit with one big shot, tried to take Dodson down and got stopped instantly.

Yep I noticed that when reading Jack Slack's breakdown of the Barao fight.

The one knockdown rule was apparently in effect for that fight. Sometimes I think UFC fights would be better if they implemented a 10 second count. At least BS like this wouldn't happen.

Dodson is one of the best fighters in the UFC without a belt.
And P4P, has to be one of the strongest punchers in the sport.

I would have definitely liked if Herb gave TJ a chance to show his
heart in that moment, but who knows... Dodson could have shut the
lights out.

Back