TJ vs Cejudo seems pointless

It's definitely the UFC throwing a bone to TJ and their play to get rid of the FLW division

TJ has several viable contenders in his own division, he shouldn't be moving weight classes. Moraes, Cruz II, Assucao III to name a few. If the fight was for the Bantamweight title, it would even make more sense since they're dissolving the Flyweight division. Makes sense to give that champion a chance at the other belt.

UFC has been making lots of bizarre decisions lately, I wish it would go back to how it used to be. Champions fight the top contenders and only when they've cleaned out a division should they give a chance at a second belt. Nowadays, everybody is going to be a double champion, ruining the value of it. Before recently, there had only ever been one champion vs. champion fight. Now we'll have had 4 more in just over 2 years. I like a champion vs. champion match, but only if it makes sense. None of the recent ones really have.

DC vs Stipe made sense, but I agree otherwise.

But....but....but........sherdoggers wanted a champ vs champ fight when DJ was the champ. Shertards claimed it made perfect sense for TJ to get an instant title shot outside his division with only 1 title defense.

How is it any different now?

It's respect for the Flyweight division and allows the UFC to end it with a bang, rather than unceremoniously. Big gift from Dana to the fighters and the hardcore fans.
How is this a gift to hardcore fans ? Cejudo has very little chance, non of us are clamouring for the fight

I agree with TS, this is pointless and about as far from super a superfight can get, especially with TJ going down

They can’t close the division without having the champions fight each other.

Duh.

Dana's putting the nail in the coffin by having company-guy TJ defeat the last 125 champ

That's what it looks like but it's weird after they made him fight Cody again, they can't seem to make up their mind if they don't like TJ or they do.

They don't like him as much as Cody or Cruz. That much is clear.

This seems to be about Dana's ego. He's doing what he wanted to do with 125 last year before being denied by MM despite the fact that it doesn't even make sense from a promotional standpoint.

Challenging for a 2nd belt has become a gimmick. Before it was challenging the toughest guy since you already beat the best at your weight, or even if a champ had no real top contenders waiting, like with Penn/Hughes, Penn/GSP and Randy moving up and down to take on the best, when they could've had easier fights at other weights.

While a lot of fans wanted dominant champs facing each other, like Anderson vs GSP/Jones, and those were lost.

So we get this shitty unforeseen middle deal with non-dominant champs facing each other. This was never the point.

I guess their market research has shown that casuals are intrigued by champ vs champ fights and double champs and all that. Personally I agree with TS, this fight doesn't really interest me. There are much better fights for TJ at the weightclass that he's champ of. I guess it's a good send off for the FLW division if nothing else but I don't know....I just have a bad taste in my mouth about the whole way that went down with MM leaving and everything.

He looked great in that fight but he hasn't performed like that before or since and TJ is way better than Wilson Reis and TJ fights nothing like Reis who Cejudo was a terrible match up for considering Reis is a grappler that doesn't have very good striking or speed.

True, but Joseph Benavidez is a great striker.

True, but Joseph Benavidez is a great striker.

Not on the same level as TJ though and he's smaller and doesn't hit as hard and while that was a good fight it wasn't a dominant performance, it was very close.

I don't think Benavidez does anything better than TJ either.

If you think this fight is pointless, look whom Cruz is fighting.

The fight at 125 is pointless but I don’t understand why so many expect TJ to dominate and destroy the champion at a weight class he has never fought in before.

If you think this fight is pointless, look whom Cruz is fighting.

I agree 100% both of those match ups suck and they could have made much more compelling and competitive match ups.

But....but....but........sherdoggers wanted a champ vs champ fight when DJ was the champ. Shertards claimed it made perfect sense for TJ to get an instant title shot outside his division with only 1 title defense.

How is it any different now?

The difference is that the division and the title are being removed. They are fighting for a title that will cease to exist afterwards.

The more logical thing would instead be to reward Cejudo for being the last champ with a title shot in his forced new weightclass (unless he chooses to leave, I guess).

If indeed it is at 125 I’m actually interested.
I suppose TJ is interested in having the last 125 belt ever.

Challenging for a 2nd belt has become a gimmick. Before it was challenging the toughest guy since you already beat the best at your weight, or even if a champ had no real top contenders waiting, like with Penn/Hughes, Penn/GSP and Randy moving up and down to take on the best, when they could've had easier fights at other weights.

While a lot of fans wanted dominant champs facing each other, like Anderson vs GSP/Jones, and those were lost.

So we get this shitty unforeseen middle deal with non-dominant champs facing each other. This was never the point.

Yeah and it diminishes past 2 weight champions because in the past you had to earn the opportunity way way more.

It's not outlandish at all.

Mighty Mouse was the biggest win any fighter from 125 or 135 to get could get. Cejudo got it, that means he can jump the queue.

I get that champion vs champion fights might sell more than the same fight but with only one being champion but why not promote an exciting BW like Moraes?

High level strikers that deliver brutal KOs have always sold well all the way back to the early days of the UFC and Moraes has been on a head kick KO streak yet he's not being promoted, and Cejudo is mostly a decision fighter that isn't very entertaining.(they don't seem to have learned from their failures to promote contenders at FLY).

TJ vs Cejudo seems like a one sided beatdown in TJ's favor and the fact that the UFC is dropping the flyweight division and they traded the best drawing Flyweight discredits the whole champion vs champoin thing if the UFC doesn't even think it's worth keeping the division Cejudo is champion of. Lastly many people thought Cejudo lost to MM the second time and he just became champion.

TJ vs Cejudo doesn't interest me, I expect TJ to dominate him till he gets the TKO. TJ vs Moraes is the best fight that can be made at BW.
Yep, Cejudo fucked everything up for the UFC winning that fight.

DJ may not have been the ultimate needle mover but he vs the 135 champ was a true champ vs champ fight and would have been one for the ages.

Now they got this pointless shit instead, unless it's at 125 which I think I just read somewhere, in which case it still won't draw even half the numbers DJ vs would have

Back