Tj Dillashaw vs James Toney (skill vs size question)

You might as well ask if TJ can take down your 90 year old grandmother.

You MMA fans really get caught up in this James Toney MMA thing. The guy was morbidly obese, nearly 15 years past his best, and even more importantly, he was so badly brain damaged that they had to use subtitles for his promo.

Now, give me early 90s James 'Lights out' Toney and he sparks all your D level athletes.

How am I the only one that likes this post which is spot on? Toney was in no condition to be in the cage physically and more so mentally and even then Couture totally took the easiest possible way out. For good reason too.

wasn't this question answered already at the first UFC??? royce choked out a bunch of top level strikers who were much bigger than him

and roger huerta beat the shit out of a 230lb A-level athlete

Your average blue belt in BJJ will absolutely fold up your average non-trained person. TJ is a blue belt and a D-1 wrestler, he'd be higher in BJJ if he spent more time in a gi. He grapplefucks an untrained opponent.

Size matters in grappling.

Where is the video of the 300 pound power lifter tossing around the 135 pound national wrestling champion? (Something along those lines anyway)

Size matters more in grappling than striking.

huh? ten years ago? The top guys in the 70s were often over 220, nevermind ten years ago.
They were not.
Ali, Norton, Holmes, Foreman at their best were 220lbs and under
Frazier at his best was 205lbs, Ali around 215lbs. Ali got as high 224lbs in the 3rd Frazier fight

Now, give me early 90s James 'Lights out' Toney and he sparks all your D level athletes.

Because Lights Out was known for that amazing takedown defense, right?

How well does Toney kick?

Nau5Dak.gif

vwcVpk9.gif

Throw in Dillashaw, DJ, Cejudo, Borg, Garbrandt, Faber, IDC

This is a massive size advantage. And this is just a dumb hypothetical thread but...

When a fighter is so unskilled in MMA like toney (lets say for the sake of argument he is in as good as shape as he was for the Couture fight) and he is much bigger and skilled in one area...(boxing)

Would Dillashaw or DJ (throw in any FLYW or BW) submit James Toney in 2 minutes?

Kinda like asking if a 240 lb sherdogger would get his ass kicked by idk say Henry Cejudo.

PS- I am 6'2 180 lbs, have been in "boxing" for years. I consider myself in good shape and am a BJJ novice.
I have a feeling any single ufc flyweight in the UFC would most likely submit me in 1 round.
Now I of course (ego in check) feel like I hopefully wouldnt get KOed. But hell... I dont know how to check leg kicks properly. So basically. Im effed in the A.

plus this would probably happen

Erick+Silva+Body+Kicks+Matt+Brown+UFC+Fight+Night+Cincinnati.gif

Never go full the r-word

Even if any of those manlets were able to take down and submit Toney I mean how proud can you be of taking advantage of a 50 year old that’s fat, out of shape and showing signs of retardation?

When I hear quotes like “Prime Toney in mma would be a better Mark Hunt imo.” Or how some noobs believe the Toney that stepped into the cage was who he’s been his whole career....It’s clear the vast majority of Sherdog is clueless about James Toney.

UFC 1 was in 1993. If Toney wasn’t busy KOing fools and earning millions (in the 90’s big deal) while becoming one of the best boxers during that time he would’ve dominated UFC for like 15 years easily. The sport of MMA is still young and constantly evolving but if you look back at old fights even 10-15 years ago you had guys that could dominate/be successful being a one trick pony or have minimal skills and just be tough/scrappy.

Watch and educate yourselves. If anything at least check out 3:15 mark.

Idk about DJ but TJ is an elite wrestler.

And if you've ever wrestled with an elite wrestler and you have 0 wrestling experience, you would know that they are getting you down.

Size doesn't matter. At all. They are definitely getting you down.
I'd consider myself a mediocre wrestler and have 'outgrappled' athletic inexperienced people that have outweighed me by 50 pounds. Someone like TJ could most certainly manhandle someone like Toney in a 'fight'

Just my opinion

I'd consider myself a mediocre wrestler and have 'outgrappled' athletic inexperienced people that have outweighed me by 50 pounds. Someone like TJ could most certainly manhandle someone like Toney in a 'fight'

Just my opinion

Exactly.

When I first transitioned into MMA from Muay Thai about 4 years ago, I was wrestling a guy who was 7 inches shorter and 70 lbs lighter and he was taking me down basically at will.

You might as well ask if TJ can take down your 90 year old grandmother.

You MMA fans really get caught up in this James Toney MMA thing. The guy was morbidly obese, nearly 15 years past his best, and even more importantly, he was so badly brain damaged that they had to use subtitles for his promo.

Boxers have scrawny legs that are ripe for the taking.

This is fantasy bullshit.

why always james toney? that fat ass has been irrelevant for years.

take at least one current HW.

Joshua would have killed both Stipe & TJ on the same night.

Wrestler vs boxer is bullshit.

and yes size matters lmao.
i almost batistabomd my sister (blue belt) with 0 exp.

mountain would have killed conor in a real fight.
Npaia0y.jpg

Bob sapp
DqUrUVw.gif

lmao @ olympic weight lifter.
in a real fight, he would have destroyed that black belt.

Your D level athletes would get timed and Knocked the fuck out when attempting the takedown.

Yeah, right! You are the guy who opened these threads.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a-boxing-fans-perspective-here-first-post.3711877/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/correct-me-if-im-wrong-but-is-it-true-that-99-of-mma-fans.3778819/

Also, you are the moron who said " A perfect example being the Groves-Eubank fight this week where all hardcores are lying to themselves in picking Groves. Eubank will destroy him. Easy money."

<This7>

PS: If you're that much into boxing, watch Mayorga's MMA fights, where he got fucked up, or Ali's fight against Inoki.

Last edited:
Not sure about Toney specifically, he was only like 5'9 and not a natural HW at all. But I think the MMA guys you mentioned would generally struggle big time with most good HW and cruiserweight boxers. The size and strength discrepancy would start to become too wide for technique to compensate.

Yeah, right! You are the guy who opened these threads.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a-boxing-fans-perspective-here-first-post.3711877/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/correct-me-if-im-wrong-but-is-it-true-that-99-of-mma-fans.3778819/

Also, you are the moron who said " A perfect example being the Groves-Eubank fight this week where all hardcores are lying to themselves in picking Groves. Eubank will destroy him. Easy money."

<This7>

PS: If you're that much into boxing, watch Mayorga's MMA fights, where he got fucked up, or Ali's fight against Inoki.

Still flabbergasted over Groves winning.

Meh, MMA is d level athletes who's most talked about stars are CM punk and McKenzie Dern lololol

Back