TJ Dillashaw sparring Vasyl Lomachenko(+videos)

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by KillerIsBack V2, Mar 25, 2017.

1. KillerIsBack V2 Brown Belt

KillerIsBack V2
  2. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    I watched TJ's last fight against Lineker and Cody's against Cruz. This fight will be a good one, I'll be tuning in for sure. Garbrandt has some boxing ability and he can punch. TJ can box a bit too and likes to use angles a lot and different types of shifts in his footwork. Both are athletic fighters and they have a TAM rivalry. Should be a good one.

Sano likes this.
  3. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    i got garbrandt. TJ is really only effective because he's so quick and able to mix it up, but cody's technique is much cleaner. he really impressed me when he put a beating on cruz.

good to see TJ working with top level guys though. it just doesn't get any better than lomachenko.

Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.
  4. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    I've got Garbrandt as well but I may change my pick depending on what they look like at their open workouts. This will be a damn good fight and Garbrandt looked sick against Cruz. Both are really athletic and very skilled fighters. The Bantamweight division right now is probably my favorite in the UFC.

5. KillerIsBack V2 Brown Belt

KillerIsBack V2
    The thing is, I only scored scored Cruz beating TJ is cause of the the takedowns. And Cody's TDD was damn good against him nullified it. Not to mention that TJ is more of a pressure fighter than both imo.
    So, I'll agree with u and see if the work he does with Loma will sharpen him enough to duel Cody. Heard Loma's dad Anatoly are charging bank to help other camp's fighters, especially if it's another sport, so the product might show it's value soon. Though I doubt TJ would be able to disrupt Cody's rythm, though most likely Cody is not shooting TDs.

6. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    TJ started doing some nice work with low kicks at the end of the Cruz fight. They were really affecting Cruz. It was too late by then though. I just want to see what both look like during the open workouts to see what they've both worked on and how much each has improved, if I can eyeball it.

TJ has some very explosive takedowns and very good transitions but Cody can scramble and has good TDD as well as takedowns of his own, when he decides to take it to the ground in order to mix up his striking & grappling. TJ did say he plans on using a lot of lateral movement so that Garbrandt can't set his feet to punch with power. That's a good strategy and all but eventually Cody will catch him and he can slow him down with low kicks first and look to cut the cage off. It should be an interesting fight.

7. Marc A 2017 is my year

Marc A
    If DJ follows Cruz advice should be easy work for him

Look too counter Cody looks very normal when he has to lead

8. D 1 Wrestler Look up to me

D 1 Wrestler
    drone666, Sano and Bubblun like this.
  9. rvzu White Belt

rvzu
    I totally agree with this. Cody looked very good in the Cruz fight, because Cruz was pressing and coming forward while Cody was countering him.

Ive always thought that Cody was very hit able when leading. He looks to be dropping his hands a little when stringing combos together. I think he gets away with that because of his speed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Marc A likes this.
  10. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Sano, Bubblun and LNwolf87 like this.
  11. LNwolf87 Blue Belt

LNwolf87
    Well atleast he looks a lot better compared to when luke rockhold and king mo sparred at mayweathers gym.

12. wilddeuces Purple Belt

wilddeuces
    Beating a guy like Lineker doesn't really convince me that TJ has improved since his fight against Cruz. Lineker provides nowhere near the same problems that Cody does. Cody moves well and has good boxing. He is annoying whenever you put him in front of a microphone, but I've noticed that will all the top 5's in that division lol

13. senri The belt that resides inside you

senri
    You just like that Mr Dillashaw is being coated in slavic flavours. It is delicious but we have yet to find the pinnacle of the ultimate taste.

14. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Some new footage was released yesterday by Okamoto apparently. I visited Bad Left Hook earlier and it's on the homepage, fourth video down. Lomachenko is feeling him out, effortlessly landing and TJ's getting fatigued by the pace & his pressure.

15. cuban23 Black Belt

cuban23
    TJ Dillashaw will defeat Cody Garbrandt.

16. Queen B Silver Belt

Queen B
    Lets not forget, CoGar is still the more experienced amateur boxer with a 31-1 record

He may not be a world champ, but he couldve been a contender for one if he stuck with boxing only

17. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    It's possible if you're disciplined enough with the right trainer, have the chin, are a good athlete, stay focused and work your ass off. But, that doesn't just apply to Cody -- it applies to that select group.

About Cody's amateur record, do you know how difficult it is to verify most amateur records in full? They're basically always self-reported and often inflated. Lomachenko's is self-reported at 396-1 as an Am. Well, I've only been able to verify a fraction of them just like the rest. I do believe he has around that many amateur bouts because he started as soon as he could get an amateur license as a kid. Even he doesn't know how many he's had, his dad must've kept track all those years. In the US you can start boxing as an amateur at age 8. He said his first bout was in 1994 at the Hope international tournament. He would've been like 6.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  18. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Some Lomachenko-Dillashaw clips from the recently released sparring footage (full YouTube vid a few posts up). I slowed them down to half speed (exactly 50%) so that these exchanges can clearly be seen. A couple of the GIFs I had to resize and when I did that it introduced artifacts into them, which I'll correct next time.

Loma was going very light here and had several gears left that he could've kicked into. He mostly just peppered & potshotted him the whole time, dodged his punches, got inside them to land his own and continually cut the ring off. I don't see how this is going to help TJ to prepare at all against Cody. Cody is a puncher with rudimentary boxing skills that are adapted to MMA. I guess it can't hurt TJ other than him and other top MMA fighters realizing how badly they'd fair in the ring against a world class boxer (here's looking at you, Conor).

Bogotazo, ctrlaltdelete and ga_ninja like this.
  19. Keygan04 Yellow Belt

Keygan04
    Lol and people think Conor has a shot against Money. . .

Real nice to see boxing and mma champs working together though; would love to see more of this

CaulderBorn likes this.
  20. ctrlaltdelete Purple Belt

ctrlaltdelete
    This .gif is amazing