Tito Ortiz Vs Sakuraba

Sakurabas Ear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Back in the year 2000 lets say instead of fighting Yuki Kondo in December Tito fought Saku.

Ruleset: PRIDE

Rounds
1st : 10:00
2nd: 5:00
3rd: 5:00

Who takes it?

141_l.jpg

Kazushi Sakuraba

Record:11-2-1
Height: 6'0
Weight: 176-183lb's

Saku would've been coming off of a huge string of wins and what should've been a loss to Guy Mezger but we all know how that turned out. His only real loss in years was to Igor Vovchanchyn on the same night as his brutal fight with Royce Gracie which lasted like 90 minutes if I'm not wrong, maybe more? He still gave Igor a good fight mind you and had him in trouble with an armbar.

tito.jpg

Tito Ortiz

Record: 5-2
Height: 6'3
Weight: 199lb's

At the time Tito would've just beaten Wanderlei Silva to become champion after Frank Shammrock left the building, Tito wasn't as experienced as Saku obviously but was quite a bit bigger and just beat the man who would send Saku into a bad spiral. They share a common opponent in Guy Mezger and while neither man beat him without controversy, Tito beat him more convincingly and that impresses me more than Sakus bizarre win over Mezger despite The Hunntington Beach Bad Boy's previous history with Mezger.

I'm thinking that Tito has the edge due to his size and GNP, Saku obviously has the more dangerous submission game and striking is a toss up.

I've got Tito via UD/SD.

Did you see Arona vs Sakuraba? Tito would smash him on the ground.

In 2000 Tito by manhandling but as always never count Saku out

"His only real loss in years was to Igor Vovchanchyn on the same night"

you didn't watch that fight did you?Sure it was a loss but after he didn't get the decision if I remember correctly he deserved he called it a day kind of like Guy Mezger (or should I say Ken Shamrock) did vs him.

As far as the fight itself in pride it would be a toss up i'd lean Saku I think he'd get the favorable decision =/ in the UFC at that time I would go Tito.

Did you see Arona vs Sakuraba? Tito would smash him on the ground.

That was 5 yrs later Sakuraba had already gone drastically downhill and the game had evolved.

Last edited:
Tito sub defense is amazing, and he was just too big for Saku.

I love Saku, but I think Tito would maul him.

Tito would brutalize Saku. Arona styles

Too big of a weight difference between 2 primary grapplers. Tito always dominates smaller fighters easily

Saku via sub. He has no issue wrestling and subbing bigger guys like Rampage and Randleman.

so was Rampage

I know, I'm just saying it shows how good saku was that we even have him in conversations like this when the other fighter had such a significant size advantage

Back