Tito Ortiz admits Sakuraba was better than him, trashes Rickson Gracie

Those responses are surprisingly articulate for Tito Ortiz. <{titihmm}>

Also, that interview is so old, they still refer to MMA as No Holds Barred.

Yes in 2001, Titos scull had not yet cracked.

This was to promote himself and UFC in Japan what else did you expect him to say?

Tito said tamura, I think he's talking about kiyoshi tamura?

Probably. Tamura was a very solid fighter back then, with plenty of good wins, some against opponents way bigger than him:

Pat Smith
Maurice Smith
TK
Volk Han
Maeda
Valentijn Overeem
Kanehara
Menne
Renzo
Jeremy Horn
Pat Miletich

Tito would have beat up Rickson by 2001.

DDmG_f-maxage-0.gif
live 2.gif live.gif

In spring of 2000, I read an interview of his where he said he wasn't interested in Sakuraba because he could see himself out wrestle and out strike the Japanese. He said the real challenge would be (renzo) Gracie.

Saku was better than him at that time. That said this was clearly an interview to the Japanese media and it reads like Tito is kowtowing to win favor and possibly be offered a big contract.

Clearly he answered in English, translated to Japanese, and the. Translated back into English, because that’s not how he (or any English speaker) speaks.

Q: Do you like MMA competition?

Tito real answer: Sure. I love competing. I’d love to come to Japan and challenge great fighters in Pride.

Tito translated for interview: Indeed, my soul aches and burns in reverence to the Japanese people. I would like to test my super fighter powers against the warrior spirit that smoulders in the hearts of Pride’s fighters!!

Saku was better than him at that time. That said this was clearly an interview to the Japanese media and it reads like Tito is kowtowing to win favor and possibly be offered a big contract.

Clearly he answered in English, translated to Japanese, and the. Translated back into English, because that’s not how he (or any English speaker) speaks.

Q: Do you like MMA competition?

Tito real answer: Sure. I love competing. I’d love to come to Japan and challenge great fighters in Pride.

Tito translated for interview: Indeed, my soul aches and burns in reverence to the Japanese people. I would like to test my super fighter powers against the warrior spirit that smoulders in the hearts of Pride’s fighters!!
You are a most excellnt person. I got a good laugh outta that

Oh boy its 2018 and if I had to guest this interview is from about 2000 to 2002.

In spring of 2000, I read an interview of his where he said he wasn't interested in Sakuraba because he could see himself out wrestle and out strike the Japanese. He said the real challenge would be (renzo) Gracie.
Lol. his wrestling was very overrated. Imo.
his best weapon but in weak time
when he fought real wrestler.showed whos best. Old man style

Lol. his wrestling was very overrated. Imo.
his best weapon but in weak time
when he fought real wrestler.showed whos best. Old man style

Tito's wrestling was outclassed by couture and Alvarez like you say, but he fought against the best. On the other hand, the best wrestler Sakuraba ever faced was Vernon tiger White. He didn't want Tito when he was asked about hypothetical match. And he never accepted to fight Henderson or kikuta who were guaranteed to take him down at will.

Back