Tito claims he never got a fair shake against Chuck in the UFC

I think Gus would beat Chuck, too. Tito and Randy had their moments against Chuck (Randy won their first fight), and Gus is taller/rangier than both, a much better boxer, and quite a good wrestler to boot. One reasons his TDs/wrestling are effective is you don't expect them like would from a Tito, Chuck, Cormier, etc.

If Chuck fought more strikers during his prime (instead of a steady diet of Tito, Randy, Babalu, Randleman, etc.) he may have developed a more diverse striking game. He had a kenpo background and a couple of head kick KOs early in his career. He broke Rich Franklin's arm with a kick in his final fight, and landed a big knee on Overeem. It's too bad he relied almost entirely on boxing in his later days in the UFC. He did show some striking diversity in his fight with Wand (and final win), though.
Gus would be a nightmare for Chuck. Gus would fight long, not engage in a brawl, and would make Chuck pay for rushing in ultra aggressive with his hands low.

If Chuck though could force a brawl then the scale shift in his favor. I still think Chuck carries more power than Gus.

Gus would be a nightmare for Chuck. Gus would fight long, not engage in a brawl, and would make Chuck pay for rushing in ultra aggressive with his hands low.

If Chuck though could force a brawl then the scale shift in his favor. I still think Chuck carries more power than Gus.

Yeah, and I think prime Machida would be another nightmare for Chuck. He never fought anyone remotely like that, who preyed on fighters who rushed in and tried to force their gameplan. I think it would look a lot like Machida vs. Rashad.

Dana has stated this numerous times. When he managed both Chuck and Tito, Chuck was basically better at everything in the gym when they trained together. Chuck made a similar comment in his book. Even in the second fight when Tito took him down, Chuck got up quick and started punching him again.
Makes you wonder how Chuck's career would've gone had he not been told before his UFC debut to refrain from wrestling the guy. Being able to dominate Tito means you have pretty damn good wrestling.

Those punches starting to take effect

If by saying "never got a fair shake", he means "never stood a chance" then I agree.

Back