Tito claims he never got a fair shake against Chuck in the UFC

This finish always pissed me off, and I'm not sure why. I guess it seemed like a bad stoppage since there was no clear knockout blow (of course you can't blame the ref and now that I look at it Tito's arms dropped), or maybe the eye poke. Tito is and was also annoying as hell so I don't know why the fuck I care if he loses like that, but I guess somehow Chuck annoys me more than Tito.
Tito couldn't have done anything. He dropped. Had the ref not stopped it, it would just have been more of the same.

Seems pretty fair to me

Chuck-vs-Tito-1.gif

giphy.gif
The first one wasn't. That being said I don't think it would have mattered. Before the final volley against the fence in fight 1 it was a thumb to the eye that sent Tito retreating to the fence. But like I said, fairly confident chuck would have put him away eventually.

Tito couldn't have done anything. He dropped. Had the ref not stopped it, it would just have been more of the same.
Yeah it would've just been him getting hammer-domed like the first fight. I'm not sure why I hate that finish. Just looks like a bad movie scene and Chuck's mohawk somehow triggers me.

That's why I wasn't as surprised or impressed as most people were when Rampage KO'd Chuck (in the rematch). Chuck was 38, definitely past his physical prime, and had grown way too confident in his hands and chin because he could outstrike Randy (even older) and Tito. He left himself wide open and Rampage just KO'd him, like any decent striker with power would. I'd hate to see what Rumble would've done to him.
Rumble would have feasted on Chuck. Another sub 1 minute KO for Rumble.

Tito wants a payday and he is trying to talk up the fight

If Golden Boy wants to do something in MMA (I am not sure why) then they are probably looking at the Coker Bellator model. e.g. seniors tour of washed fighters who still have name recognition

Chuck was always a bad matchup for Tito and nothing has changed. Plus Tito was obviously afraid of Chuck.

the key will be if either of these guys can even make it into the cage at this point. that may count as a victory in and of itself
Dana has stated this numerous times. When he managed both Chuck and Tito, Chuck was basically better at everything in the gym when they trained together. Chuck made a similar comment in his book. Even in the second fight when Tito took him down, Chuck got up quick and started punching him again.

I was surprised in the second fight how Tito managed to look fundamentally sound at times and had what somewhat resembled a game plan. If Tito was not so fearful of Liddell he would have landed a takedown in the rematch as Tito was landing decent punches, even kicks and shit. If there was a time Tito shouldn’t have been afraid it was then because Tito had the tools if he was fully committed to a mat match yet he resorted to the “I will hit Chuck get close, and not know what to do” rinse repeat six times.

Now compare Tito’s psychological mindset to that of someone like Rampage who deliberately showed no fear and was not afraid of Liddell. In the first fight in PRIDE the way Rampage was willing to trade a big punch to get in close for a clinch or takedown really haunted Liddell.

To this day I see that fucking ending sequence and ask why the fuck didn't Chuck hit the body once.

I have never really thought about that. He literally focuses 100% on the head. Holy shit that's some calculated hate.

Not really.

Tito considered Chuck a close friend, and was reluctant to hurt him.

It’s kind of like Return of the Jedi, where Darth Vader fought back half heartedly, so his son would prevail. He even protected him against the Emperor.
Tito was like that with Chuck. He would have protected Chuck from Fedor, even after getting beat up by Chuck.

5FSN.gif

Dude is just trying to promote the fight. Can't blame him

Tito lost both fights fair but he did have his moments.

That's why I wasn't as surprised or impressed as most people were when Rampage KO'd Chuck (in the rematch). Chuck was 38, definitely past his physical prime, and had grown way too confident in his hands and chin because he could outstrike Randy (even older) and Tito. He left himself wide open and Rampage just KO'd him, like any decent striker with power would. I'd hate to see what Rumble would've done to him.

I predicted Rampage would beat him again as well. Rampage wasn't going to let chuck counter him like chuck would do to the plodding wrestlers.

When Chuck fought legit strikers, he usually lost.

This finish always pissed me off, and I'm not sure why. I guess it seemed like a bad stoppage since there was no clear knockout blow (of course you can't blame the ref and now that I look at it Tito's arms dropped), or maybe the eye poke. Tito is and was also annoying as hell so I don't know why the fuck I care if he loses like that, but I guess somehow Chuck annoys me more than Tito.
Stoppage was fine he literally punched Tito into the ground and he checked out

Rumble would have feasted on Chuck. Another sub 1 minute KO for Rumble.

I think Gus would beat Chuck, too. Tito and Randy had their moments against Chuck (Randy won their first fight), and Gus is taller/rangier than both, a much better boxer, and quite a good wrestler to boot. One reasons his TDs/wrestling are effective is you don't expect them like would from a Tito, Chuck, Cormier, etc.

If Chuck fought more strikers during his prime (instead of a steady diet of Tito, Randy, Babalu, Randleman, etc.) he may have developed a more diverse striking game. He had a kenpo background and a couple of head kick KOs early in his career. He broke Rich Franklin's arm with a kick in his final fight, and landed a big knee on Overeem. It's too bad he relied almost entirely on boxing in his later days in the UFC. He did show some striking diversity in his fight with Wand (and final win), though.

Last edited:
Back