Title Boxing Heavy Bag Wallmount Hanger Review

vjvj

Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious
@purple
Reaction score
Questions regarding options for hanging a heavy bag inside the house/garage seem to come up every now and then, but there's never been a canonical advice thread for this topic nor any reviews for such products. So a while back I decided to drop $60 on a wallmount hanger and brave the risks of ripping my apartment walls out; all for you, the sherdog reader.

I ordered mine from Title, but Ringside/CSI and I'm sure other places sell the exact same thing:

http://store.titleboxing.com/hbhdw.html

Here is a picture of the unit installed and in place. As you can see, it also doubles as a hanger for your wraps and gloves ;)

hangerinstalled-6x4.jpg

Note that there are two models, one for bags 75lbs and lighter ($39), and one for heavier bags ($59). I knew I'd be going at least 100lbs, so I went with the heavy duty version. Note that you must also buy the hardware separately for $4.99-$7.99, with the price depending on whether you need the wood stud hardware or masonry hardware. I also highly suggest getting the heavy spring; more on this later.

http://store.titleboxing.com/hbs.html

Installation was really easy. You obviously need a stud finder (DON'T just go drilling anywhere), and a level if you want it to not look stupid. The mounting hardware comes with everything you need and the included instructions are really straightforward.

Now I will move on to the two most important questions: Practical use and bag height.

Practical use: I've been using this for over 6 months now and it is holding up extremely well. I can go full power on the thing and it is rock solid without any flex or scary noises coming from the walls :) This is one reason for getting the spring; I don't think it would be feasible to go full power on this without putting too much pressure on the wall studs.

For movement, Title advertises that you get 360 degree movement. It's true that the hanger is very long (the bag hangs 4 feet away from the wall). However, keep in mind that the two supporting bars come down at an angle and will restrict your movement if you are tall. I am 6' 4" and this is the point on the bar where my head hits it:

hangerouch-6x4.jpg

So if you are tall, you probably will not be able to work the wall side of the bag unless you are working it close. If you are shorter you might get 360 degree movement.

As for noise (I live in an apartment), it's really not bad at all. The chain and spring obviously clang around when you are hitting the bag, but again the walls (which are more important imho) are silent thanks to the spring.

Bag Height: This is probably the most important aspect of installation. On my bag (I have an Everlast bag, not sure if all other bags are like this), there is a 9" chain that attaches to the hanger, followed by a swivel chain, followed by another set of 9" chains that attach to the bag. Then add a 6" spring to that and you're basically losing 2' of height. This is a problem in some apartments/homes, as many of them only have 10' ceilings. Even if you are only using a 4' bag, hanging the bag high enough for tall guys to throw realistic head shots is a challenge.

This is how I got around it. The first thing I realized is that I really didn't need that 9" chain that attaches to the hanger. If I could just attach the swivel chain directly to the hanger, that would get me a lot of height. The problem is that the link on the swivel chain and the attach point on the hanger are both CLOSED. The solution? The heavy bag spring! If you use the heavy bag spring to hang, you can hang directly off the swivel chain and circumvent that useless 9" section of chain. In fact, because the spring is much shorter than the chain, you are actually saving a bit of height still while gaining the stability/noise benefits of the chain:

hangerspring-6x4.jpg

hangerspringchain-6x4.jpg

For many people, this should be enough to get the bag at the right height. If you want the bag higher (I did), do this: Instead of attaching the lower chains directly to the bag, loop them through the loops and attach them to the top point of the chain like so:

hangerchainloop-6x4.jpg

This will bring the bag another few inches higher. This was enough to put the top of the bag around eye level for me, so it should be enough for almost anyone except the Tim Sylvia types. The only thing you have to be careful about when cinching the chains up like this is that this may cause the cloth in your bag to start creeping up. I got around this by pulling the sand bags out of my bag and placing some of them on top to keep the cloth down.

Hope this helps. If anyone has any questions, just ask.

EDIT: Photo urls changed; updated accordingly.

Nuts, I was trying to find reviews on something like this. Good review.

Borrow someones miter saw with a steel blade and cut those extra chain links off. Reattach everything with ez-links (a dollar each from lowes) and duct tape the remaining chains to lower the noise. Science marches on.

quality review

btw how man hand wraps do you have man, jesus lol

also nice ssf's ;)

Thanks for the comments, everyone :)

Skeet: Yeah, I'm a computer programmer so I dunno wtf a miter saw or ezlink is lol. But thanks for the advice, I'll check it out and update the review accordingly.

Bizz: Haha only two pairs of wraps in that pic, but they are all crumpled up so it looks worse. And yeah, I love my SSFs :)

wow, what a detailed review... and for $60, what a deal!! and it doesnt make much noise which is a good thing, i might buy one in the future..my heavy bag is outside..and i hate working the bag outside, I freeze to death. (the reason i had it put outside, is because the people downstairs hate the noise of my footsteps and the all the noise. thx for the review :)

Great review/pics! I liked how you cinched up the chains, which I will probably have to do as well (I'm in the process of putting up a bag). I am waiting for my I-beam attachement from Balaz to arrive, but once I get it I'll have some questions to ask...

Good review. I have had one of these for 5 years now. Funny, my wraps hang from mine as well to dry out. Also I hang my jump rope over it.

I just put up my heavy bag and it's pretty much the same set up (except it hangs from a beam).

I checked inside the bag, and it is only cloth filled (it's a 100lb Everlast Nevatear).

I was wondering what else could be used to weigh down the cloth, as it is already creeping up due to looping the chains through?? Thanks.

Odd, I have the same bag and mine had cloth + sand. How far did you dig into the bag? Mine had little 5lb plastic bags of sand littered throughout the cloth. I just pulled them out (had to pull out all the cloth, unfortunately) and threw a couple on top.

Good thing, too, because a couple of the sandbags were broken and leaking sand :(

vjvj said:
Odd, I have the same bag and mine had cloth + sand. How far did you dig into the bag? Mine had little 5lb plastic bags of sand littered throughout the cloth. I just pulled them out (had to pull out all the cloth, unfortunately) and threw a couple on top.

Good thing, too, because a couple of the sandbags were broken and leaking sand :(

Ah I see, I didn't dig too deep into the bag so as not to displace the cloth too much. After looking around the house for something similar to sand bags, I found a pair of wrist/ankle weights, and rolled them out side-by-side, duct taped them together, then wrapped them in a t-shirt (which I duct taped to keep from unraveling). I placed this on top; hopefully it keeps the cloth down. Thanks again for your tips!

Cool, I hope it works out!

I love having a bag at home now :)

My wife would fucking kill me if I hung that up in the house. :icon_lol:

Nice setup you got there...thanks for the thread.

nice review vjvj, its been several months and I was wondering how this has been holding up for you? I'm moving soon and was looking into one of these and was wondering if it was worth the price after months of use.

nice review vjvj, its been several months and I was wondering how this has been holding up for you? I'm moving soon and was looking into one of these and was wondering if it was worth the price after months of use.

Definitely worth the price IMHO. It held up well for the year+ that I was using it.

Unfortunately, I ended up moving into a smaller place and no longer have room for it. However, I held on to the hanger and bag just in case I end up moving again. It's really, really nice to have a bag at home.

^Thanks, that helped alot. I had my bag hanging from the ceiling in the basement but there was no support what so ever so the tiles from upstairs starting cracking.

Back