tips/tactics on defending sweeps

Lickspittle

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I`ve been grappling for a few years now and have wrestling experience and I need some tips/tactics on defending sweeps. Mainly from top butterfly and even full guard. I seem to be fine against ppl my own level but anyone that's more experienced then me usually can sweep me to my back..... anything I should note or do to not get sweep?
Thanks

For me, guard passing is the most complex thing about BJJ to explain. In the guard you learn a guard and the techniques that are doable in that guard. For subs, you get to the position and you execute that sub.

In guard passing, you need to understand what the guy is doing to you, reset to a neutral position and attack a guard pass. There's some shortcuts but most of the time you won't be able to pass someone and you are at risk to get swept, subbed or back taken if you are fully in your opponent guard position.

So to make it simple, you first escape the guard to a neutral position like headquarters or a variation of the guard you were in but without the most threathening grips and then you work on your guard passing.

So in butterfly you don't stand there with both hooks in, you break grips to get your posture straight you weave your legs until you get only one hook under your butt and you sit back. Now you can go for a guard pass

Same thing with De la riva, you can't pass the guy when he has a collar grip, a grip on your heel, a DLR hook and he's pushing inside your thigh. You need to break every threath one by one, make sure they don't just get them back and work to a neutral position.

In closed guard it's all about standing up, open the closed guard, combat base and then work on your passing game

Find out the positions where you are comfortable to make a guard pass, working your way to that position will be your biggest way to avoid sweeps. Just trying to not get swept will get you nowhere against people better than you, they will find a way if you let them work their guard

For me, I'm comfortable in top half guard with a scoop grip on the top leg, in headquarters (sitting on one hook) and with one foot engaged standing up against a supine opponent.

Hi everyone.
I`ve been grappling for a few years now and have wrestling experience and I need some tips/tactics on defending sweeps. Mainly from top butterfly and even full guard. I seem to be fine against ppl my own level but anyone that's more experienced then me usually can sweep me to my back..... anything I should note or do to not get sweep?
Thanks
anyone that's more experienced then me usually can sweep me to my back

Do you have better takedowns than pure JJ people? Those people are just better than you at that point in time.

Those are two of the strongest positions for sweeps in JJ.

My advice is learn to sweep from there yourself and then start doing whatever people do that makes sweeping from there hard. Butterfly I sit back hard so they can't get under me and look to body lock or do a modified over pass after clearing one hook. Closed guard I stand up and try and work from there to break the legs open and then move into my passing from there. That's before we even cover those positions in a gi.

For me, guard passing is the most complex thing about BJJ to explain. In the guard you learn a guard and the techniques that are doable in that guard. For subs, you get to the position and you execute that sub.

In guard passing, you need to understand what the guy is doing to you, reset to a neutral position and attack a guard pass. There's some shortcuts but most of the time you won't be able to pass someone and you are at risk to get swept, subbed or back taken if you are fully in your opponent guard position.

So to make it simple, you first escape the guard to a neutral position like headquarters or a variation of the guard you were in but without the most threathening grips and then you work on your guard passing.

So in butterfly you don't stand there with both hooks in, you break grips to get your posture straight you weave your legs until you get only one hook under your butt and you sit back. Now you can go for a guard pass

Same thing with De la riva, you can't pass the guy when he has a collar grip, a grip on your heel, a DLR hook and he's pushing inside your thigh. You need to break every threath one by one, make sure they don't just get them back and work to a neutral position.

In closed guard it's all about standing up, open the closed guard, combat base and then work on your passing game

Find out the positions where you are comfortable to make a guard pass, working your way to that position will be your biggest way to avoid sweeps. Just trying to not get swept will get you nowhere against people better than you, they will find a way if you let them work their guard

For me, I'm comfortable in top half guard with a scoop grip on the top leg, in headquarters (sitting on one hook) and with one foot engaged standing up against a supine opponent.
This is really good advice, we’ll said

Remember- when you are in guard, you should be "attacking" by passing, so the person on bottom is focusing on defending the pass.

If you are defending sweeps, then you are losing and will eventually get swept.

Have to be the initiator / attacker when passing guard if you are going to be successful.

Another point for defending the butterfly sweep is if you can time it correctly you can switch your hips mid sweep to end up in a smash pass position. It can be tricky against a really good butterfly player but check it out. Also the best thing for me was from a Lachlan video where he said to lead with your head when posting defending the sweep. So if they are trying to sweep me to my right and I’m hopping with the sweep I bring my head across to my right as well and try to place the top of my head as a post as well as my leg and potentially arm if that makes sense. It works really well. One last tip is an old school one from my coach which is to cross your legs when in kneeling butterfly guard and worried about the sweep. You really can’t attack from there but it makes you very difficult to move

Back