Tips on knowing what type of punch is going to be thrown?

AW9000+

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Recently in sparring, an opponent is circling or closing the distance really close, and I find it difficult to know if he's going to throw a straight or a hook. With some of the opponents I've sparred (we're all amateurs clearly) they would load up their hips slightly different but this one guy just does it the same at a really close distance.

I've kind of dealt with it by just keeping distance with a jab, but I watched some pros like Mayweather and besides hugging the guy out, even when the opponent is close they have good idea most of the time what is going to be thrown.

Are there any subtle tells to know what type of punch is being thrown?

Show them a specific opening. Show them the hook can land and 9 times out of 10 they will throw it, allowing you to counter or evade as you please.

I am not that good but two lessons - heads close to each other they will try a body shot. Hips close to each other - they will try a headshot.

If you've just been hit by a left, it's likely the right is about to come next. And vice versa.

Yes Tyson doubled & trippled up, but most the time the next blow will be the opposite side.

Don't wait for a telegraph that may not come, or might be a feint.

Use distance awareness to base your predictions off of. I think it to be a little more accurate, and safe than picking up on body cues that may be a set up.

dont most guys just throw what you give them? easiest example is have your glove/guard on left of your head, they'll throw something to the right of your head (like a left hook). most people throw straights if you're moving forward/backwards, hooks if they're trying to catch you moving laterally, jabs at longer distance, hooks at shorter distance. so bait them, and if theyre just throwing the opposite punch, either theyre not throwing optimal punch or setting something up which means you worry about the 2nd punch not the 1st :D

I think a lot of it is subconscious. It's not as if you have time to think. If you want to get better at it, put up a high guard and have someone throw hooks and jabs at you while you stare at his chest. Do that a lot and you'll gain a sense of what's coming. There are difference, the elbow is going to flare before a hook whereas a jab is going to start with the shoulder coming straight forward (in terms of upper body motion), but again it's not like you'll have time to notice that consciously when sparring.

Recently in sparring, an opponent is circling or closing the distance really close, and I find it difficult to know if he's going to throw a straight or a hook. With some of the opponents I've sparred (we're all amateurs clearly) they would load up their hips slightly different but this one guy just does it the same at a really close distance.

I've kind of dealt with it by just keeping distance with a jab, but I watched some pros like Mayweather and besides hugging the guy out, even when the opponent is close they have good idea most of the time what is going to be thrown.

Are there any subtle tells to know what type of punch is being thrown?
It's just a matter of experience and mostly works subconsciously. Read "The Sports Gene" by David Epstein, it explains it much better than I can - and aside from the typical American hardon for big black men (which is super creepy and weird from a European view), it's quite a good read.

Use your ears man, a sudden change in air pressure can help you avoid getting hit in blind spots which is what a feint does. It's part of what a sixth sense is and I'm sure it's incorporated in ancient martial arts, the cues are air pressure change and infrared emission that is sensed by the skin (very close range) , don't know if it can be used in a ring with thousands of people and lights but I'm guessing it can be used in a real fight. You also need HIGH spatial awareness. Depending on visuals only can trick you in a fight.

Last edited:
Use your ears man, a sudden change in air pressure can help you avoid getting hit in blind spots which is what a feint does. It's part of what a sixth sense is and I'm sure it's incorporated in ancient martial arts, the cues are air pressure change and infrared emission that is sensed by the skin (very close range) , don't know if it can be used in a ring with thousands of people and lights but I'm guessing it can be used in a real fight. You also need HIGH spatial awareness. Depending on visuals only can trick you in a fight.
<DontBelieve1>

Well, it worked for the Avatar.

Back