Tips on avoiding getting in lockdown in the first place

sakfjgadsyukgf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes..... another lockdown thread. I'm a new blue belt and have a few tricks up my sleeve as far as passing lockdown (though if someone has another good one I'm always up for new options). It's the really the bane of my existence from top half as a shorter pressure passer, and almost everyone at my gym plays lockdown in no gi. I respect strong bottom players who can generate sweeps with it, but I get annoyed at the people in my gym who basically use it to stall and force me to work to pass while they chill out and save energy. (What is the point of stalling in practice?)

It seems like it'd be more efficient to avoid getting caught in lockdown to begin with, rather than having to spend time and effort passing it. An ounce of prevention versus the pound of cure etc. The only real trick I have is curling my right leg and keeping my foot on my butt, for lack of a better description (I always always pass left), but the foot seems to get away from there as I go through the motions of passing. Does anyone have any good suggestions for avoiding getting in caught in lockdown in the first place?

If you really want to avoid getting stuck in the lockdown, you have to change your base. Bernardo shows how to hide the foot in this video:

Honestly though, it is easy to get out of, and most people are terrible at using it for anything besides stalling. I've been doing BJJ for a long time, and I can't think of a single person who has actually threatened with a sweep from there. I even train with some 10th Planet guys occasionally.

Paul Schreiner's Pressure Passing DVD, and Shawn William's nearside underhook DVD have some techniques for dealing with the lockdown that are pretty effective. I don't even worry about it anymore.

If I know I am up against a training partner who likes to use lockdown, as soon (or sooner) as I am in half guard, I put my right leg at 90 degrees to my opponent.

If you really want to avoid getting stuck in the lockdown, you have to change your base. Bernardo shows how to hide the foot in this video:

Honestly though, it is easy to get out of, and most people are terrible at using it for anything besides stalling. I've been doing BJJ for a long time, and I can't think of a single person who has actually threatened with a sweep from there. I even train with some 10th Planet guys occasionally.

Paul Schreiner's Pressure Passing DVD, and Shawn William's nearside underhook DVD have some techniques for dealing with the lockdown that are pretty effective. I don't even worry about it anymore.

The merely fact that you haven't encounter someone who's good at doesn't mean it's not effective when used by people who are really good at it.

Fucking royler Gracie got swept like 3 times by Eddie, I kind of have a feeling that he's quite better than you.. Just hunch.

On topic, that vid you just posted is gold, I'm a lockdown player, i give hell to a lot of people with it, part of the use of the lockdown is to save energy while stalling make your opponent tired and frustrated and then when you feel you can attack to sweep or at least regain full guard.

I've seen lots of instructionals on how to get out, this seems to be the simplest one, go down, untie the lockdown and change your base.

Tx for the vid

Those 2 instructionals made me want people to put in lockdown. Gives me mount

Not passing from your knees helps a ton...But if I do get caught in that little game with a lockdown player, I use a lot of reverse half guard passes (or whatever that position is called). Faria kind of ends up there in that vid.

@Gerbiljiujitsu has a great vid about that pass.

The merely fact that you haven't encounter someone who's good at doesn't mean it's not effective when used by people who are really good at it.

Fucking royler Gracie got swept like 3 times by Eddie, I kind of have a feeling that he's quite better than you.. Just hunch.

On topic, that vid you just posted is gold, I'm a lockdown player, i give hell to a lot of people with it, part of the use of the lockdown is to save energy while stalling make your opponent tired and frustrated and then when you feel you can attack to sweep or at least regain full guard.

I've seen lots of instructionals on how to get out, this seems to be the simplest one, go down, untie the lockdown and change your base.

Tx for the vid

This.

If no one is trying to sweep you from lockdown then your probably not grappling anyone with a decent half guard. I train at a 10th planet and everyone knows sweeps from the lockdown. I'm not sure how experienced you are but if you roll with 10th planet purple belts they are going to be sweeping your ass all over the mat from lockdown, they certainly won't be using it to stall unless you have some monster top game.

The Marcelo Garcia rolling video with Eddie Bravo is a good to watch for both lockdown players and defenders. Eddie said Marcelo dealt with the lockdown better than anyone but it still visibly caused Marcelo problems.

This.

If no one is trying to sweep you from lockdown then your probably not grappling anyone with a decent half guard. I train at a 10th planet and everyone knows sweeps from the lockdown. I'm not sure how experienced you are but if you roll with 10th planet purple belts they are going to be sweeping your ass all over the mat from lockdown, they certainly won't be using it to stall unless you have some monster top game.

The Marcelo Garcia rolling video with Eddie Bravo is a good to watch for both lockdown players and defenders. Eddie said Marcelo dealt with the lockdown better than anyone but it still visibly caused Marcelo problems.
The lockdown get a lot of shit and is looked as an inferior technique mostly because is not something Brazilians use, oh and the whole locking up your hips. Ir really hurts my eyes when I see people holding their Hg for dear life just trying to stop the person from freeing his trapped leg (who's using a tripod pass) with a regular triangle on the leg... why wouldn't you switch to a much better "stalling" technique (in that case your main objective is to hold the Hf) if you are looking to just stall for a while (when you are just holding on, that's what your doing). Most of the times, the passer clears the leg. I simply don't understand why is it that people have such resistance to such a wonderful technique (I'm mostly talkjng about no gi/ Mma here)

Last edited:

Yeesh. I'm not saying that there are not people who are lockdown ninjas. Obviously, Eddie savages people from there, but they are few and far between. The thing about the lockdown is, that it is not a sweeping position by itself. You need the lockdown + an underhook or some other advantageous grip, which means the person on top has already made a non-lockdown-related mistake.

Most people ask about defending against lockdown in the context of a bad half guard bottom player using it to stall. Usually the person on bottom is flat on their back and has no underhooks. My defense here is to grab the nearside underhook, and start working a combination of the techniques Paul Schreiner and Shawn Williams show on their DVDs. I'm not claiming to be a master at defending the position, but it worked well against the last 10th Planet guy I rolled with, who I think was a blue belt based on his rash guard. Maybe a purple belt would have caught me. I don't know.

Yeesh. I'm not saying that there are not people who are lockdown ninjas. Obviously, Eddie savages people from there, but they are few and far between. The thing about the lockdown is, that it is not a sweeping position by itself. You need the lockdown + an underhook or some other advantageous grip, which means the person on top has already made a non-lockdown-related mistake.

Most people ask about defending against lockdown in the context of a bad half guard bottom player using it to stall. Usually the person on bottom is flat on their back and has no underhooks. My defense here is to grab the nearside underhook, and start working a combination of the techniques Paul Schreiner and Shawn Williams show on their DVDs. I'm not claiming to be a master at defending the position, but it worked well against the last 10th Planet guy I rolled with, who I think was a blue belt based on his rash guard. Maybe a purple belt would have caught me. I don't know.

thats the problem, you are basing your opinion on the position from your experience vs one or several dudes on your gym. You get the lockdown and is time to start fighting for underhooks, there are several ways to get them, all while not getting passed. You may be flat on your back for a while, and thats ok as long as you keep the lockdown, when you are ready to attack you should get on your side.

thats the problem, you are basing your opinion on the position from your experience vs one or several dudes on your gym. You get the lockdown and is time to start fighting for underhooks, there are several ways to get them, all while not getting passed. You may be flat on your back for a while, and thats ok as long as you keep the lockdown, when you are ready to attack you should get on your side.

Honestly, our gym is pretty big. We have lots of super high level visitors from all over the world, and there is a 10th Planet gym not too far away. Those guys come and train sometimes too. There just are not that many high level lock down half guard players in the world. This isn't a commentary on the effectiveness of the position, just a commentary on how many people are using it effectively.

Honestly, our gym is pretty big. We have lots of super high level visitors from all over the world, and there is a 10th Planet gym not too far away. Those guys come and train sometimes too. There just are not that many high level lock down half guard players in the world. This isn't a commentary on the effectiveness of the position, just a commentary on how many people are using it effectively.

bro you just said the 10th planet guy is a blue belt.

like I stated in my post above, the lockdown is not a very commun position, not very communly use by brazilians, so even if your gym is quite big and you get lots of brazilians, it wouldnt matter because most of the dont use lockdown.

whats your rank by the way? just out of curiosity, not tryint to be disrespectful or anything...

bro you just said the 10th planet guy is a blue belt.

like I stated in my post above, the lockdown is not a very commun position, not very communly use by brazilians, so even if your gym is quite big and you get lots of brazilians, it wouldnt matter because most of the dont use lockdown.

whats your rank by the way? just out of curiosity, not tryint to be disrespectful or anything...

I'm a purple belt. FYI, Denny Prokopos used to occasionally stop by to train, but I never had a chance to roll with him. I'm sure he would wreck me from lock down and everywhere else.

Thanks man! I'll try that Bernardo technique tomorrow night. I have seen guys get sweeps with it, of course they do need the underhook and to get up on one side- kind of easier for them to do the latter when they have one of your legs immobilized. But yeah, it seems to be mostly a stalling thing, which annoys me to no end in the gym

A while ago I made a post about passing and getting rid of the lockdown, I guess it would be useful here too so I am just gonna copy it here in case someone finds it helpful.

Ok, so here goes my opinion on this.

The lockdown is, at first glance, very annoying to deal with because the whole point of the position is to really immobilize your leg and keep you stuck. It accomplishes this very well. What it also does however, which is bad for the person on bottom, is that it really immobilizes their hips as well. You commit both your legs to keep him trapped and therefore have no free leg to either bridge or shrimp with. This is usually what you can use against them.

First things first, you have to think about stabilization and prevention before you think about passing. Learn to make yourself comfortable in that position and make your opponent uncomfortable. Ask yourself; what can he do to me from this position, what do I need to watch out for? The main thing your opponent will be looking for is at least one underhook, and often both underhooks. He can do this by pummeling and also by using a technique called the "whip down" (Eddie Bravo/10th planet name) to use the lockdown to rock your base enough for you to post a hand, thus enabling him to get an underhook and get to his side, where the lockdown really begins to be dangerous.

Goal number one? Don't give him the underhook and don't let him get up to his side. Easier said than done when someone is good at it, but let me give you a few tips.

Don't try to force conventional half guard passing on the lockdown. It's built and designed to combat the traditional way of half guard passing, and you will often get countered. When I play lockdown (used to a lot before, play it a lot less now) I really love it when people try to "smash me" with the traditional head and underhook grip. Even when they are a lot heavier. Since I do only no-gi (luta livre), it's sweaty enough where I can almost always get the underhook aftar a brief stuggle. Don't let him do it. Instead, flow into passes that completely shut down the underhook and prevent him from using the lockdown the way it is supposed to be used (underhook + side)

There are a lot of passes which negate these two things. I could suggest not even letting him get into the half guard, but you'd probably tell me to shut the fuck up and keep to the question of actually fighting the lockdown. So be it !

The first thing you have to get a hang of is this one. People call it a lot of names. The hip switch pass, twister pass, reverse sit pass etc. It's a favorite of Demian Maia. And Demian Maia is awesome. So really study this one:

Lovato goes into great detail so make sure you are paying attention.

If you like to really get close when passing, squeeze a lot and keep constant pressure, you could try this, even though it isn't my go to pass against the lockdown, it works really well if you get good at it:

The idea here is simple. Get low a low enough grip on his butt/hips (like a double leg somewhat) and sprawl really hard. This breaks the lockdown apart because it puts a lot of pressure on his feet and will force him to open it as a natural reaction, especially against people that are not flexible. From there I like to do a back-step and pass to side control. If he pushes your head down so you can't pass, just switch to the other side. No problem.

With these two clips, you already have a lot of homework. Work on preventing him from getting the underhook and from grabbing behind your leg. This is what he needs for the electric chair, which is a high % sweep from the lockdown. Prevent those two things, and his lockdown will be useless. If he's smart, he'll disentangle himself and play something else. If he's not, he's really open to any of these two passes. If he is able to grab behing your leg, sprawl immediately and reset. If he manages to get an underhook, do a very strong whizzer (I like to throw an overhook where I"m actually putting my fist on the floor. So imagine it like this: he get's the underhook and manages to get on his side. Don't waste time, just put your fist on the floor right next to his hips (this will make the overhook very strong and will put pressure on his arm) and then simply use your free hand to push his face away. Be rough, don't be gentle when you are defending a sweep. Once you push his face away, his underhook will be useless and open. Proceed to pummel your arm back into your own underhook and continue passing.

One last pass, the one I use the most these days is the near-side underhook one.

This one. Very good explanation.

So now you are wondering; how do I do this versus the lockdown?

I can't find a clip of this one youtube, so I'll try my best to explain it by text.

You do everthing like you would in this pass, but you have to untagle his lockdown first. So let's say he has your right leg leg in the lockdown. Do everything like he says in this clip, and once you establish the nearside underhook and are about to put your head on the other side of his head, use your left leg to untagle the lockdown. Find a partner and try it out. Just take your left leg and try to pry the lockdown open. It will feel natural and you will actually establish a grapevine on his right leg. Use this to eliminate his bridge, and just continue passing to mount like you would normally.

Hope this helps, if you need anything else explained, just ask.

Cheers and good luck in training :)

Also, the lockdown is a useful tool. At blue belt, it was literally the only half guard I would play. After I got my purple belt and got the chance to train with Seph Smith, (who is Ryan Hall's first black belt) he basically explained why Ryan hates it and proceeded to demolish me with pressure to show me the error of my ways. Since then, I've stopped playing it and have been better off for it.

A few things:

No, the lockdown is not useless or easy to counter, If someone is good at fighting on the inside from half guard, using the lockdown is 10x better than the traditional triangle half guard, which is probably the shittiest guard in existence, even worse than the quarter guard, which can at least generate some torque on the leg, Lucas Leites Style.

The main problem with the lockdown is that it locks your hips down and commits both legs. You keep him in place, and it can be used for sweeps, but if someone is really really good at pressure you are basically fucked. Seph was a lot lighter than me and I could't move even a bit, which made the lockdown useless. Playing open, bridging with the non trapping leg, playing half butterfly to threaten sweeps, open up underhooks or attack leglocks made my game a lot better against higher level sparring partners.

Moral of the story, if lockdown is your shit, nothing wrong with playing it. Just be realistic about it's drawbacks, don't overhype the positives, learn how to counter the most dangerous stuff, and you'll be fine. Eddie violated Royler, and Royler is preeeeeeeeeeeeetty good.

Back