Tips for training without an instructor?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by sirtapsalot, Jul 6, 2017.

1. sirtapsalot White Belt

sirtapsalot
    I need some advice, I do not have any free time during the evenings due to work and family but I am more than willing to get up early to train but none of my local clubs have a class early enough so I have decided to advertise for people in a similar situation on gumtree (I think Americans have craigslist). So far I have had a few replies but I don't know what to do next. There will be no instructor to run the sessions so what do I do?

I have downloaded the Gracie Barra fundamentals program as I can remember most of these moves from when I did train and think I can youtube what I don't remember to go over with whoever wants to train. Is this a good approach? would it be better to just follow an instructional dvd/book? would it be better not to try to drill any techniques at all and just roll with whoever shows up?

As for a venue any ideas? I was thinking of just putting some mats in my yard but there must be a better option.

Other people have to be in this situation and all advice is welcome

PS I did not at any point in my advertisement misrepresent my abilities. I am in no way an instructor, as a matter of fact I am probably the worst grappler on the face of the planet, hence my name.

2. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    1) Look up all relevant safety advice for white belts: dangerous submissions, dangerous takedowns, keyword "spazzing," keyword "stalling."

2) Before you start training, make a schedule and have everyone agree to it. Here is a sample:

BJJ Warm Up Drills
    Video
    Drill 7 Minutes
    Video
    Drill 7 Minutes
    Video
    Drill 7 Minutes
    Video
    Drill 7 Minutes
    Roll: 4 Separate 5 Minute Rounds
    Stretching

3) If there is no teacher, that makes you the teacher, so have your materials ready to go. Do not fumble fuck around looking for videos after people get there.

4) Learn the moves as presented in the video and drill them well and exactly. Then try to use them rolling. AFTER - you can think about modifying them for your body and mood. The only exception is if you have to change something for safety.

5) Use the most reputable sites.

6) Take a first aid course so you know what to do when someone gets choked out too hard by a spaz or dropped on their head.

M3t4tr0n, Clinchster, bjjaz and 2 others like this.
  3. Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

Was at Pride GP 2000
    Gracieacademy.com

Sounds like your may have the next Gracie garage

powerBJJ and Edison Carasio like this.
  4. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    Honestly.

Make the time.

Yeah, I understand that work and family commitments are important.

But you have to find a way to give yourself some "myself time".

Otherwise, you just become miserable and ended up doing things like wanting to roll with some strangers at 6 am in your back yard. You just don't have the knowledge and experience for that type of training.

5. sirtapsalot White Belt

sirtapsalot
    Thanks summer striker some really great advice. I especially like your class layout, it gives a really good framework to build a class around. Can you recommend any sites or youtube channels? Was at Pride mentioned Gracie academy but it gets shit on a lot on here. I didn't even think of first aid but luckily I'm already trained in this area as I work in quite a dangerous environment.

6. testycul White Belt

testycul
    You should check out the Grapplers Guide, it's got everything. A great fundamental program and tons of drills both partner & solo.

sirtapsalot and jaysculls like this.
  7. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Gracieacademy is quite good for what you want to do

sirtapsalot and Edison Carasio like this.
  8. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    +1

sirtapsalot and Edison Carasio like this.
  9. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    If you can find people who are like you, and have similar schedule, you can all get together and workout. It is hard to drill BJJ without at least a partner.

10. Gandhi Birdie num nums

Gandhi
    I would recommend the BJJ roadmap, submissions , submission defenses, basic gaurd sweeps all by Stephan Kesting.

I go a gym but also spend a ton of time learning from videos and training with friends in my backyard. Although you really need to find a way to get to a gym on an at least occasional basis.

sirtapsalot likes this.
  11. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    Gracieuniversity.com

You can use it to have a structured road map, lesson plans, find training partners in the same boat as you and have access to instructors to ask questions. IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR GOING TO CLASS. But it will hold you over until you can make it back to class.

Just downloading a program or watching short YouTube vids is not as good as GU.

sirtapsalot likes this.
  12. SubmissionarY White Belt

SubmissionarY
    Just get in street fights bro.

Go 400 and 0 and then share your record with Sherdogs

<{JustBleed}>

13. sirtapsalot White Belt

sirtapsalot
    Really great advice guys thanks a lot. Im going to look at all these resources and see what one suits best.

400-0 I wish, I'm only 399-1 (I didn't understand the rules of a sambo match and it counted as a loss)

Edison Carasio and Gandhi like this.
  14. mattemate Brown Belt

mattemate
    Dude I like summerstriker,.but he's a blue or purple belt last I checked. @lechien is a black belt. He's right on this one. There is no substitute for a good instructor and people that can kick your ass. You know who's not gonna show up to your yard at 6 am? People that can kick your ass, that's who

15. sirtapsalot White Belt

sirtapsalot
    I think you're underestimating my ability to get my ass kicked. Anyway the response to my add was underwhelming, the initial interested parties have disappeared so it looks like my grappling days are over. For now at least.

Thanks a lot to everyone for your suggestions. Except the people who think I should just make time, that wasn't helpful at all (why didn't I think of that!).

mattemate likes this.
  16. sirtapsalot White Belt

sirtapsalot
    An update just in case anybody is interested. I have a group of 4 people (myself included). I have a venue nearby that will charge us £12 (£3 each) for an hours use from 6-7am. The venue is used by a martial arts club in the evenings so it has mats and stuff. And we are going to use summer strikers class structure.

17. carling21 White Belt

carling21
    I was in the same boat as you, except I live in Cumbria UK, so it wasn't that there were no early classes when I started, it was more the fact that there were no gyms at all within 1 1/2 hours of me. I got together with a friend or two and we started messing about with techniques from Gracie fundamentals and Stephan Kesting at his little gym.
    This was a few years ago and i'm now a purple belt, and 5 of the guys I trained with are now blue belts. It's took us longer to get promotions as we were pretty much self taught apart from travelling to the odd seminar. But if you put in the mat time and some hard work you can't help but improve. But if you can rearrange things a little bit to get training from a higher belt you will improve much quicker. Good luck with your training and I hope it works out for you. :)

sirtapsalot likes this.
  18. georgegreece Orange Belt

georgegreece
    Check gracie combatives.

19. sirtapsalot White Belt

sirtapsalot
    Had our first session this morning, wasn't a huge success. Nobody showed. Scrapping the idea, as Homer Simpson says:
    Trying stuff is the first step on the road to failure.

20. Cappy Goodtime White Belt

Cappy Goodtime
    Good prose. I liked your use of "our" to get us thinking there was more than one of you.

sirtapsalot likes this.