Tips For Throwing Harder/Faster Jabs?

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
New to boxing. Short, powerful heavyweight. Can already throw a decent hook. Cross is shaky at best, and needs a lot of work.

Jab seems alright, but I want a damn jab that can knock guys on their butts when I put power behind it. Think Golovkin.

Any tips or techniques for developing great jab power and speed? I want to punish the orthodox fighters that don't respect my jab (I'm a southpaw).

New to boxing. Short, powerful heavyweight. Can already throw a decent hook. Cross is shaky at best, and needs a lot of work.

Jab seems alright, but I want a damn jab that can knock guys on their butts when I put power behind it. Think Golovkin.

Any tips or techniques for developing great jab power and speed? I want to punish the orthodox fighters that don't respect my jab (I'm a southpaw).
are you stepping in with the jab?

The more you try to muscle the jab the weaker it's going to be. It's a fast punch and the power comes from your body falling on them. Don't use any arm muscles though, just flick it out there.

are you stepping in with the jab?
Sometimes. Using hard hip extension and shoulder pop, almost like a cross. Hits pretty hard already, but I want guys fearing my hard jab.

Sometimes. Using hard hip extension and shoulder pop, almost like a cross. Hits pretty hard already, but I want guys fearing my hard jab.
yea well my advice is allways take a little step when you punch. just a tiny little step, and that forward motion will give power to your jab. also try to throw more jabs and alternate the power used. When the don't know when the power is coming, that will intimidate people, which is what you want.

yea well my advice is allways take a little step when you punch. just a tiny little step, and that forward motion will give power to your jab. also try to throw more jabs and alternate the power used. When the don't know when the power is coming, that will intimidate people, which is what you want.
This.

@PCP319

Shift the weight forward into your step, and it's usually alot nastier. Use your range to get the full extention, but the weight will really put force behind it.

This.

@PCP319

Shift the weight forward into your step, and it's usually alot nastier. Use your range to get the full extention, but the weight will really put force behind it.
That's a lot of weight. 280 pounds lol

Well the entire idea behind strikes is with weight. Arm punches are frowned due to lack of weight compared to technical strikes as they can put most, if not all your weight behind it. Of course, for the safety of your partners you can chill on it, but get the idea right

extend your arm fully with a slight twist and about a fist away from your opponent/partner. That's your range. When you jab, step in to jab, while twisting and pushing your range as far as you can go without your head going past your knee. That's the sweet spot.

Last edited:
you mentioned golovkin. I can't recall him ever knocking anyone down with jab(not saying he didnt I just dont remember.) Kovalev is someone who i have seen do it though. look at this vid and how he steps and lunges in with the jab. Thats part of why he has so much power besides his natural gifts. with your weight you are sure to get some great power just by stepping in.

Lennox Lewis showing Deontay Wilder how to jab

that works great for a person with a long reach. I would like to make this work as a guy with shorter arms like me. As I said before to TS, look how he steps with the jab. His whole body is going into the punch. Stepping gives it power, holding your hand out cuts down the time it takes to get the punch out there.

In that case, they'll start fearing it when you can start landing it on the regular.

Stepping with the jab can be legit but if you do it every time you will be countered on it because its a form of telegraphing.

Stepping with the jab can be legit but if you do it every time you will be countered on it because its a form of telegraphing.
Yeah. A big problem I'm having is with the angles affecting my accuracy. The trainers want me to be really, really sideways, and it just feels so awkward, and I feel like I can't get any power into the jab. I mean, I'm a short heavyweight (5'10.5"), I don't need to be completely square, but I'm n going to be playing jab games with 6'4" behemoths.

I understand the jab is more about speed, but I do want to have power behind my jabs. I don't want it to just be a setup or a distraction, I want it to be a lethal weapon.

http://cagecraft.net/index.php/2017/02/07/using-the-jab-in-mma/ all credit to @a guy

Weight on the rear hip, push off the back foot, roll onto the ball of front foot (make it a subtle step if more comfortable, but like you're stepping on a bug), keep the head back on the rear hip, your knees are flexed throughout. You can adjust range while keeping the head safe by simply stepping further forward with the lead foot, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah. A big problem I'm having is with the angles affecting my accuracy. The trainers want me to be really, really sideways, and it just feels so awkward, and I feel like I can't get any power into the jab. I mean, I'm a short heavyweight (5'10.5"), I don't need to be completely square, but I'm n going to be playing jab games with 6'4" behemoths.

I understand the jab is more about speed, but I do want to have power behind my jabs. I don't want it to just be a setup or a distraction, I want it to be a lethal weapon.

A jab being a lethal weapon is a little much to ask for. That's what the other punches are for.

The jab is to mess their balance and disrupt their movement or ability to defend for long enough to use one of your money punches. It hurts them maybe a tiny bit and disrupts their thinking for a split second. The only way a jab is a lethal weapon is if the guy comes running right into it with his face or you're fighting someone 80+ lbs less than you

You sound hard.............hard to train, that is.

You sound hard.............hard to train, that is.
I was told you can stand more square if you are shorter, like mike tyson. but i agree, when in doubt listen to your coach.

Last edited:
Standing "like" Mayweather or Tyson only makes sense when you know why they're standing like that.

Do that and you'll be a better boxer than you are now.

Back