Tips for suddenly adjusting to working night shift?

Eat light to start to adjust you eating schedule.

Its a lot easier switching to nights than it is switch back to days!
Everyone I know who's worked nights also gain a lot of weights as you will feel hungry where you are up doing things where you'd normally be asleep.
I...can attest to this.

<DCrying>

Prepare for weight gain, lethargy and drinking beer at judgemental hours to the rest of society.

I worked night shift for years, it's fucking terrible. Look up all the health problems that it causes. Are bodies are meant to be sleeping at night, it's just the way we're programmed. I wouldn't do it again, thankfully I'll never have to.

I worked night shift for years, it's fucking terrible. Look up all the health problems that it causes. Are bodies are meant to be sleeping at night, it's just the way we're programmed. I wouldn't do it again, thankfully I'll never have to.
True!
I did night shifts a few years ago and I have never managed to go back to normal.

Here its illegal to just switch someone to nights without adequate time to adjust. I assume you must have similar laws where you live

Here its illegal to just switch someone to nights without adequate time to adjust. I assume you must have similar laws where you live
Nah. There is no protecting American workers. We are used and abused.

Sleep at work? I suppose it depends on what you do at work. If you are driving, it can be a problem for some people. It never mattered to me when I worked. Night or day is all the same to me.

All the tips you need, my man.

The only real tip I got is to never sit down when you get tired. Especially if the job requires you to be on alert. Because sleeping at a desk is fine the first night, just don't get caught. But if you're watching something, that's when Danny Ocean will sweep through and grab the diamonds.

Just got switched to Night shift. No days to adjust my sleep schedule. It's on. Any pointers? I dont drink coffe, but I may start. Onoy thing I can think of is to chew gun throught the night.

Hand in your notice.

Get a job that doesnt require you to fuck up your existence.

Tell them you are taking a day to adjust. Dont let them dick you around as if your life doesnt matter. They dick you around today and they will never stop dicking around.
Yeah really. I agree with this. Tell them what’s up early or they’ll walk all over you as long as you’re employed.

Coffee during the shift, Tylenol pm and blackout curtains to sleep during the day, you’ll settle in a couple weeks. Weekends are tough, unless you’ve got a drug problem, then you’re all set

I worked from 7 pm to 7 am for a year between my 2nd and 3rd year of college, it blows but was pretty manageable sleepwise at that age - I’d hate to do it now though (creeping up on 40)

I also worked from 3-11 for years, that stopped about 7 years ago but to this day I’m most awake at 11 pm. If I’m asleep before then I’m okay, but if I’m still up at 11 I can count on being up another 2 hours at least - working weird hours really screws up your biological clock

Your body isn't meant for it and it is horrible for your body in the long run. That said, good for you or not, your body can adjust to just about anything.

I remember when working overnights, staying active was really important. After a while of sitting, my eyelids began to weigh a ton. Also, I swore by 5 hour energy shots. Coffee and Monster and crap didn't do jack shit.

Also, when you get home you would probably already have reached the a surge of energy and won't feel tired, but trust meme, you lay down and you'll fall asleep. It'll surprise you.

I never got used to it. Hated it. Time went by extra slow, hard not to fall asleep, etc.

Drink a few sugar free energy drinks, chew gum, find a game or something on your phone that will help pass the time. I was a security guard for about 2 years and had to work night shift for 90% of my time there. Don't think I'll ever accept another night shift in any job i do.

Last edited:
What kind of night shift are we talking?

Unless its graveyard you are being a bitch just do it.

I worked night shift for 1 year. 6-6 Monday through Thursday. Good news was I managed an amazing team. We were number one in the network out of 7 different sites in terms of production.
Bad side: I reached levels of tiredness that were flat out intense. One time I even went in the conference room during my lunch to take a nap (bad idea). My manager ended up showing up and walking in on me. Fortunately, nothing bad really happened. Another is I had a lot of trouble sleeping when I got back home. The black drapes certainly do help though. Lastly, I had a horrible habit of reverting to a night time sleeping schedule on my days off, therefore it usually kicked my butt my first day back to work after the weekend

Back