Tip culture in hipster cities is overblown.

Straight up. I went to this swanky joint here in town that is new and it was counter service and I ordered $60 in food and the lowest tip percentage was $11.

Them dudes then just walked the food out to the table with no silverware, glasses of water, or napkins. I had to get up and get all of that shit.

Overtures is officially salty about this.
I went to a new barbeque place which does exactly the same thing. They want you to tip before you even get served!

I will tip according to the service provided. Full service and keeps drinks filled gets a solid tip. Coffee shop? Nah man.

Bars are the exception. I will tip at least a dollar per drink regardless of service on the first drink and likely every drink after. You'll get shitty pours and they will ignore you for every other customer possible if they don't like you

Pro tip: in bars just run a tab on your card, when it comes time to pay, just write “cash” in the tip place and leave.

I havnt been in a bar in a long time though, not sure I’d try that again.

Pro tip: in bars just run a tab on your card, when it comes time to pay, just write “cash” in the tip place and leave.

I havnt been in a bar in a long time though, not sure I’d try that again.

Nahh man ewwwww. Not only is that dishonest, it wouldn't work here guaranteed. If I ever lacked cash I would make sure to tell the bartender I got them on tip just so they can have it off their mind. No way could I tell somebody that and then bail on them

Nahh man ewwwww. Not only is that dishonest, it wouldn't work here guaranteed. If I ever lacked cash I would make sure to tell the bartender I got them on tip just so they can have it off their mind. No way could I tell somebody that and then bail on them

It really only works when you’re in a packed bar.

Although it would be hilarious to do it in an upscale swanky barbwhat only had like 4 couples in there.

Good luck getting served timely in a packed bar without cash tips. Shit can be brutal unless your lady is by your side lol

I don’t recall ever really having much of a problem with it. Like I said, it’s been a looong time since I was in that situation. When I was living overseas they didn’t tip anyways so it was never an issue.

I don’t recall ever really having much of a problem with it. Like I said, it’s been a looong time since I was in that situation. When I was living overseas they didn’t tip anyways so it was never an issue.

I'm sure it's different everywhere lol. I also dont really go to bars without my lady, so I'm trying to facilitate a good time and good service. I guess I prefer not to take the chance and i usually get excellent service and heavy pours for my effort

I'm sure it's different everywhere lol. I also dont really go to bars without my lady, so I'm trying to facilitate a good time and good service. I guess I prefer not to take the chance and i usually get excellent service and heavy pours for my effort

Yeah I mean it makes sense, obviously they are going to treat the person dropping the $$$ better. My only point this whole time is that it’s a shitty thing we built, 6 dollar beers 8 dollar drinks and now we’re paying an extra buck per drink. This is why people
Pre game before heading out.

I don’t tip unless I get exceptional service. I’m paying for the food, why do I need to pay to get it brought to me???

Especially at coffee shops, wtf, I just willingly overpaid for a fucking coffee but I’m
An asshole if I don’t pay even more???

I also don’t play into the % game when I do tip, I just round it up or down to make it easy. The funny thing is that there’s lots of dumbass waiters who would call you an asshole for giving a small tip....even though free money is free money.....fucking asshole only gave me 8 bucks for doing the job I’m paid to do...
Tipped workers make dog shit hourly and rely on tips to make up the difference. Yeah you can say it’s their fault for picking that as a profession but at the end of the day you are a dick if you don’t tip. I’ve even heard of tipping mechanics even though they already charge an arm and a leg.

I made my best tips humping furniture. Once got $100 for putting a bed together even though I was already being paid by the company to do so.

I don’t care. If you rely on people giving you free money for doing a job you agreed on then you’re a failure and you’re judgement of me is meaningless.

I mean seriously, get a better job that actually pays minimum wage. It’s really unbelievable too how you should tip more if you spend more....what the fuck, the service is exactly the same if I order a burger or a steak why should I tip more because I ordered the steak???
Waiters and waitresses can make a killing, much much more than a minimum wage job if they are good at it and are at a busy establishment.

You sound like you need your wealth redistributed. Feel the Bern.

Waiters and waitresses can make a killing, much much more than a minimum wage job if they are good at it and are at a busy establishment.

You sound like you need your wealth redistributed. Feel the Bern.

Yes I’m well aware they can make a lot of money which is why it’s ridiculous when a bunch of people cry because some random dude dosent want to tip them.

Tipped workers make dog shit hourly and rely on tips to make up the difference. Yeah you can say it’s their fault for picking that as a profession but at the end of the day you are a dick if you don’t tip. I’ve even heard of tipping mechanics even though they already charge an arm and a leg.

I made my best tips humping furniture. Once got $100 for putting a bed together even though I was already being paid by the company to do so.

I’m a dick, I’m also an asshole. At least I give away my money at my discretion not because some people on the internet said I should give it to every server.

@bushman505 lives in Alaska where tipped workers are paid the full state minimum wage($9.84) before tips so that argument does not apply to him and there is no reason he should feel obligated to pay a tip.

@bushman505 lives in Alaska where tipped workers are paid the full state minimum wage($9.84) before tips so that argument does not apply to him and there is no reason he should feel obligated to pay a tip.

Not only that but pretty much everybody gets paid a lot more up here to adjust for the cost of living however, even with the higher cost of living people still generally make out better than they would elsewhere.

Not only that but pretty much everybody gets paid a lot more up here to adjust for the cost of living however, even with the higher cost of living people still generally make out better than they would elsewhere.
I figured since $9.84 is a pretty decent MW. Your state is actually one of, if not the IIRC, least unequal state in the Union. You guys get mad props from me for that, would even consider living there if I wasn't raised and acclimated to virtually the polar opposite climate.

I figured since $9.84 is a pretty decent MW. Your state is actually one of, if not the IIRC, least unequal state in the Union. You guys get mad props from me for that, would even consider living there if I wasn't raised and acclimated to virtually the polar opposite climate.

My wife and I really enjoy living here, it suits our lifestyles perfectly. We only wish we’d moved here sooner.

You're not supposed to tip at all if it was "god awful" and they did nothing to fix that. If it's "god awful" at a restaurant and they refuse to do anything about it, you should leave immediately without paying and find somewhere better. Don't give out money to people who don't deserve it

actually my eyes glossed when I got about two sentences in when you tried to claim that waiters had actual skills worthy of anything over poverty.

Waiters at good places actually need to know about wine/food combination and a lot of other stuff. You think they are pulling joe bumfuck of the street to serve at places with michelin stars etc? It´s actually an education that takes a couple of years.
But I guess when you can only afford to go to the cheesecake factory that´s not the kind of waiters you see.

You're not supposed to tip at all if it was "god awful" and they did nothing to fix that. If it's "god awful" at a restaurant and they refuse to do anything about it, you should leave immediately without paying and find somewhere better. Don't give out money to people who don't deserve it
I tip a very small amount for bad service and then never go there again. Only a couple of times I can ever remember not leaving a tip, and the service in both those instances was an abomination.

Back