Tip culture in hipster cities is overblown.

O

Overtures

Tip culture is bullshit in general. I waited tables for like seven years, and I fucking hated people who were rude. That was the worst part of the job. If you were cool and tipped 12-18 percent, you made my day. So I say that to point out that the worst part of the service industry is putting up with the people, not the pay. Generally, you balance out good tips with bad tips and still average more than other unskilled positions.

Still, that doesn't mean that poor tipping is okay. I never tip less than 20 percent even if the service is so so. If it's god awful I'll do 10 - 15 percent, but that has only happened twice in ten years.

That being said, there are a wave of new restaurants/coffee shops that are not full service that use ipad registers that prompt you with a twenty percent tip. And that's total bullshit. It's just a way for the company not to pay their employees. If your making drinks, you get no more than a dollar on a check. Not 20 percent. Secondly, if you're just ringing in orders, you don't get to add a 20 percent auto gratuity.

Yeah a place near my work that I go to did that. It's kindof annoying and comes across as a way to pressure people to tip more (cash grab). It isn't like there are waiters or waitresses at this place, yet they default the tip on the machine

Yeah a place near my work that I go to did that. It's kindof annoying and comes across as a way to pressure people to tip more (cash grab). It isn't like there are waiters or waitresses at this place, yet they default the tip on the machine

Straight up. I went to this swanky joint here in town that is new and it was counter service and I ordered $60 in food and the lowest tip percentage was $11.

Them dudes then just walked the food out to the table with no silverware, glasses of water, or napkins. I had to get up and get all of that shit.

Overtures is officially salty about this.

I worked at a cafe and even though we had a tip jar we still got paid $11 an hour regardless of how full that thing got. Fuck that guy, an extra couple bucks an hour would've made a huge difference in my life at the time.

I don't mind.

Young people and the underclasses subtly asking for my benefits is fine by me.

I just continue on, or if in the mood, make a donation.

I don’t tip unless I get exceptional service. I’m paying for the food, why do I need to pay to get it brought to me???

Especially at coffee shops, wtf, I just willingly overpaid for a fucking coffee but I’m
An asshole if I don’t pay even more???

I also don’t play into the % game when I do tip, I just round it up or down to make it easy. The funny thing is that there’s lots of dumbass waiters who would call you an asshole for giving a small tip....even though free money is free money.....fucking asshole only gave me 8 bucks for doing the job I’m paid to do...

Tip culture is bullshit in general. I waited tables for like seven years, and I fucking hated people who were rude. That was the worst part of the job. If you were cool and tipped 12-18 percent, you made my day. So I say that to point out that the worst part of the service industry is putting up with the people, not the pay. Generally, you balance out good tips with bad tips and still average more than other unskilled positions.

Still, that doesn't mean that poor tipping is okay. I never tip less than 20 percent even if the service is so so. If it's god awful I'll do 10 - 15 percent, but that has only happened twice in ten years.

That being said, there are a wave of new restaurants/coffee shops that are not full service that use ipad registers that prompt you with a twenty percent tip. And that's total bullshit. It's just a way for the company not to pay their employees. If your making drinks, you get no more than a dollar on a check. Not 20 percent. Secondly, if you're just ringing in orders, you don't get to add a 20 percent auto gratuity.

I waited tables for 7 days. By the 5th day I stopped talking to the customers and just stood their with my notepad looking at them. Nobody seemed to mind and I didn't notice a tip difference.

I don’t tip unless I get exceptional service. I’m paying for the food, why do I need to pay to get it brought to me???

Especially at coffee shops, wtf, I just willingly overpaid for a fucking coffee but I’m
An asshole if I don’t pay even more???

I also don’t play into the % game when I do tip, I just round it up or down to make it easy. The funny thing is that there’s lots of dumbass waiters who would call you an asshole for giving a small tip....even though free money is free money.....fucking asshole only gave me 8 bucks for doing the job I’m paid to do...

Well you are the person everyone who is making less than minimum wage and relying on tips hates. Well done.

I waited tables for 7 days. By the 5th day I stopped talking to the customers and just stood their with my notepad looking at them. Nobody seemed to mind and I didn't notice a tip difference.

well you did only work that job for two more days so maybe something did change but yes generally i would just stand there too and look at people

Well you are the person everyone who is making less than minimum wage and relying on tips hates. Well done.

I don’t care. If you rely on people giving you free money for doing a job you agreed on then you’re a failure and you’re judgement of me is meaningless.

I mean seriously, get a better job that actually pays minimum wage. It’s really unbelievable too how you should tip more if you spend more....what the fuck, the service is exactly the same if I order a burger or a steak why should I tip more because I ordered the steak???

I’d prefer if all waiters did that, I fucking hate when those peons try to talk to me. I don’t want to talk to you, know anything about you or how your day is going. Bring me the food I ordered and leave me to the conversation I’m having with whomever I happen to be eating with.

I don't understand all the passion for giving/not giving a dollar or two to an indentured food servant...

They deserve it or they do not, my passions are perhaps better off focused on other things?

I don’t care. If you rely on people giving you free money for doing a job you agreed on then you’re a failure and you’re judgement of me is meaningless.

I mean seriously, get a better job that actually pays minimum wage. It’s really unbelievable too how you should tip more if you spend more....what the fuck, the service is exactly the same if I order a burger or a steak why should I tip more because I ordered the steak???

You are dumb.

Or a troll.

Which is it?

I’d prefer if all waiters did that, I fucking hate when those peons try to talk to me. I don’t want to talk to you, know anything about you or how your day is going. Bring me the food I ordered and leave me to the conversation I’m having with whomever I happen to be eating with.

that's the thing. You would be delighted to talk to me and have been deprived of that opportunity.

You are dumb.

Or a troll.

Which is it?

I don’t believe people should feel obligated to pay extra $$$ for simply spending their money. The price of the item is listed, why should I feel obligated to pay more than the agreed upon price??? It’s not my responsibility to pay the wages of the employees and if they don’t feel like they are being paid fairly then they should get a different job. An extra buck for opening a beer for me???? Nope. A few bucks in the jar for handing me a coffee that I paid 4 bucks for??? Nope.

Tip culture is stupid. After living overseas for a long time, I got out of the habit and I’ll jever get back into it. It’s stupid.

I went to dominos to pick up a pizza the other day....carry out....they asked me if I wanted to leave a tip....no.

If that makes me dumb, so be it. If you ask me, waiters are dumb and have no right to complain when people don’t give them free money.

that's the thing. You would be delighted to talk to me and have been deprived of that opportunity.

I’ve actually told servers that I didn’t want to have a conversation with them. I give zero fucks about the underclass.

I’d be delighted to be served the food I ordered and left the hell alone and not be pressured into paying money for nothing.

Asking customers to tip is retarded, just calculate the waiter/waitresses salary into the cost of the food like how ever other industry passes the cost of employees indirectly on to the paying customers.

Back