Times you've clapped in theater?

Have you seen the scene I'm talking about? It's the same, where Darth Vader throws the emperor in the pit but he's saying "no...no..." beforehand. Terrible.
Not that I recall, think I saw the ANH special edition and said "Fuck all that".
I've seen a clip of the added scream as Luke throws himself down the shaft, rejecting Vader.
Perfect.
Then Lucas added the scream as though Luke was suddenly afraid of the fall he had chosen.

I don't think Lucas understood SW entirely.

Hathaway pulled me out of every scene. She was absolutely awful, especially her speech about love traveling across dimensions or some shit. It was atrocious.

I really liked McConaughey though and imo it was Hans Zimmer's best score. The docking scene had me on edge all the way through. Overall I really liked it
What took me out of the film, and it starts compounding on the narrative flow early, is plot conveniences, absurd ones.

Oh, (whatever contrivance got them in the truck) leads him to the remnants of NASA and they need a pilot, you say? Well, what do you know.

I don't think Lucas understood SW entirely.

I disagree. He is an idea man but not the greatest director or writer. He understands the core, though. The new star wars movies are less star warsy than the prequels. Force Awakens was alright but it wasn't star wars. It was Star Trek with star wars charecters. They should have let Lucas build the sandbox.

I disagree. He is an idea man but not the greatest director or writer. He understands the core, though. The new star wars movies are less star warsy than the prequels. Force Awakens was alright but it wasn't star wars. It was Star Trek with star wars charecters. They should have let Lucas build the sandbox.
TFA had compelling, likeable characters with good dialogue and a building, if recycled, story. I gave a shit about what happened to the characters because we got to know them a little.

The prequels had to overcome the fact that we already knew much of the plot points going in, and Lucas wrote uninteresting, flat characterization to support it:, we're told in boring dialogue instead of being shown on screen. It's a cardinal rule of filmmaking if you want your audience invested: show, don't tell.

Is clapping purely an American thing?
Ive always thought the practice was frankly,pretty retarded. It would only make sense to do if the actors or makers of the film were in the room, otherwise, what's the point?
It's especially annoying when people clap DURING scenes of the movie. Knock that shit out, Yanks. Have some hespect for your homo-sapien neighbors.
<DisgustingHHH>

I remember watching the 1st Transformers, and when Optimus first transforms into his robot form, it got applause, and a guy a few seats away from me literally screamed "omg it's Optimus fucking Primeeeee"
I wanted to reach over and be like...

Nothing wrong with laughing at a funny scene. Ive laughed plenty of times in the theater.
Never clapped. I could see it being fitting during a movie like...Fast and the Furious..or some sort of comedy that's kind of built on audience response, but otherwise it would be distracting and take me out of the movie.

Entrapment, Catherine Zeta Jones lazer scene. Keep in mind this was 1999 before every other woman on the internet or tv had a great ass.

17m030krk85zrjpg.jpg

Before high resolution could expose laser threads too apparently. lol

Wait... you mean all those times I clapped after a movie, the writers and producers weren’t sitting behind the screen sitting on those cool high chairs?

clapping for everything is so American. we don't do it in Europe that much.

in germany, they knock on tables lol. i remember visiting my german friend way back when, and in her class after someone gave a presentation, everyone started knocking on their tables, and i was legitimately freaked out lol, like wtf are they doing. ehh, to each their own.

I've seen other people say this. It's always interesting when people think they understand another person's creation better than the creator does.
I think he forgot what made star wars good in the almost thirty years between films. He forgot the characters, how to write a coherent story, etc.

But then, so the legend goes, he filmed ANH, the first cut was awful, and it was fixed by others in editing.

Empire was the film he had least to do with creatively and the best film of the whole series, probably one of the best films ever made.

Return, like I said, in the final act, everybody cheered. Though it was a bit dead leading up to it.

There's no denying the prequels are awful shit and seem written by a team of confused children who have seen SW but don't really remember it, they're all describing it to each other.
"And there's light sabers and tie fighters and cantinas and the force, robots anxd x wings..."

I've laughed at plenty of movies, never clapped. I don't understand the reasoning behind clapping at a screen.

I clap when reading posts I enjoy.

I remember seeing Terminator 2 the first day it came out in one of those huge movie theaters with the curved screens. The place was packed, every seat filled from corner to corner. The audience was totally into the movie, laughing, clapping, etc. The scene when Arnold is riding the Harley, shooting fence locks, chasing down and saving John Conner from getting squished by the semi- the audience was cheering and clapping, it was fucking awesome.

This was back in the day before everything got played out in nano seconds on the internet and everybody became too cool to be entertained.

There was that one time I never did it.

If I could go back to being a little kid, I might have clapped at the end of 'the naked gun.'

Myfuture self has clapped and cheered during the Infinity war movie.

I'd like to think that's what my future self will be doing. The reality is my right arm will be dead from all the fapping I did during the movie.

Back