Time to start carrying a gun

Where I am from people don't lock their doors. But that's' small town Germany :).
There is nothing wrong with owning a gun. I would do the same thing if I were in the US.
I was just commenting on the fear of having to own a gun and carrying it everywhere. Which I assume this thread is about.
That would be something I would not be comfortable with. That would be a failure of society IMO.
Because society as a whole let it come that far. A good example of that would be South Africa not so much the US.

If it were to come to a situation where I would feel the need to be armed at all times.
I would demand serious changes in society. Because it is possible to not live in a society where its needed to be armed.

Lol @ Germany. You won't need a gun until next time some guy decides to round everyone up and put them in ovens.

Yeah, that is not really gun related anymore. But I think the biggest difference between the US and the rest of the West is that the US is incredibly individualistic. Most Americans are just concerned with how they can use the system for their own gain right now.
While in Europe you still have people that consider society as a whole when making decisions. There is still some kind of loyalty to your fellow man. In the US its all about me and how I can profit right now. If that means everyone else is worse of in 10 years is to no concern.

That's also why the US needs to have very strict laws for everything. There can be no ''gray area'' because everyone would take advantage of those grey areas. That's why you have all those signs and need to sign waivers for everything.
In Europe people still, have a mindset of not bending every rule to their advantage because if everyone would do it the system wouldn't work.

That being said, of course, it is not all Americans but to many.

You are utterly full of shit. The UK has a staggeringly high violent crime rate in their larger cities.

Where you from Thread starter? I agree you can't depend on a cop who is miles away. From what i've learned to agree with is your only in control of about 3 ft of distance from you. Control that or manage it for the safety of yourself and loved ones!

Thank God nothing happened! And yes, carry a gun and be smart about it.

ITT I've learned the best self-defense to a potential break-in is to hunker down and shout out over & over again: "I DEMAND SOCIETAL CHANGE!"

That must have been a crappy hotel you stayed in. I don't think that carrying a gun everywhere is going to solve the problem. It may actually cause more problems. So, if you had a gun and the 2 guys also had guns (assumption) and came into your room, you shoot one guy while the other shoots you. Two dead. Now, the one left alive is pissed off and decides to shoot your girlfriend and daughter. Was that such a good idea? Either way you were outmanned and outgunned. Robbers don't want to kill anyone. They want money and jewelry. Give them what they want. Surprise them with a gun and they will shoot you. Real life is not like a Hollywood movie. Don't have children near loaded guns. A gun can be taken from you and used against you. It will give you a false sense of security. Mr. trigger happy. If you shoot someone and kill them, make sure the law was in your side, otherwise you just won a ticket to life in prison.
Be unarmed and hope for some nice, non-violent armed robbers?

Cool message

Shitty situation. Glad it didn't escalate further TS, and that you and the fam are safe.

I do know of these kinds of attempted robberies--heard about them back in high school. I went to high school in a shitty area, and knew some shitty people. I've heard of guys going to local , cheap motels like Travel Lodge and Ramada Inn on the weekends, they knock on the door, people open up, and then theyd get robbed.

I can see both sides of the gun thing. On one hand, you're completely at their mercy if you have no weapon. But on the other, you having a weapon escalates the stakes. 1 on 3 aren't good odds, especially when you have a family there as well.

Sad state of affairs, but i can understand why people feel like they need to carry.

Consider that if you had a gun you may have been emboldened enough to confront these guys and you and your family could be dead right now instead of safe.

Hotel or motel? Do you think they targeted you and your family specifically, or do you think it had more to do with the location of your room?

Just fucking LOL at the people saying you need military style training to defend your family with a gun. A gun evens the odds with criminal assholes who want to kill you.

What are the Vegas odds of a 93 pound Asia woman versus 3 armed gang members?

She is dead without a gun. She has a chance with a gun. Gun rights give the powerless a chance to live in a violent world filled with people who vote for Democrats.

Cowardly criminals don't want to face gun owners. They want gun free zones and unarmed targets. When they face resistance they fucking flee like cowards.

Those are all shithole countries in South America and Africa and the US.

Which countries in the US? Detroit?

Ok, I understand what you mean. If I were to be victimized I might would feel the same way.
But that is not why most people carry a gun. Most people carry a gun because they don't feel safe in their own country without ever personally being victimized. A general feeling of fear in your society is a failure IMO.

How do you know why most people who carry a gun here carry it? My take is it's mostly a matter of feeling prepared than walking around frightened. But go ahead and show me to be wrong.

You Germans got a military? If so, is it because you're a bunch of cowardly cunts scared that some other nation's gonna beat you up? Asking for a friend. :D

I've spent some time in Munich. It's wayyyy more civilized that major American cities, so I'd guess even most big towns in Germany are superior for civility than American cities (INB4 rapeugee bots).

Despite all our total riches, American society is largely just pigs at a trough dying to get fed. Like you know when a farmer comes and throws a bunch of slop on the floor, a bunch of pigs go banging up against each other to get to the slop and wolf it down. Just picture the opening of the doors to Walmart on Black Friday and how people leave their dignity at the door for a discount.

Same thing when I spent time in Spain. You can go to the pub, have a great conversation, and have people actually bring you food (not nuts and popcorn, good food) on the house.

I can hardly picture that concept working here; you know what would happen under such a paradigm. It would be a bunch of shitheads talking shit, ordering a single beer, and harping on staff to bring out more free food, then leaving no tip, cuz you know, tipping is stupid.... Then maybe a carjacking on your way out; followed by going online about how bad it is in other countries where people don't have guns everywhere.

LOL. You sound like you have autism. And you are shitting on the US about tipping and implying that it is better in Europe?

And pubs give free food in Europe? I guess that is why millions of 'refugees' are invading. Free food with the purchase of a beer!

How do you know why most people who carry a gun here carry it? My take is it's mostly a matter of feeling prepared than walking around frightened. But go ahead and show me to be wrong.

You Germans got a military? If so, is it because you're a bunch of cowardly cunts scared that some other nation's gonna beat you up? Asking for a friend. :D

Yeah, I made a mistake there because I got a bit off track from my original point.
The feeling of the TS was that he needs a gun because it is too dangerous to go with his family anywhere.
That feeling would be unacceptable to me. Carrying a gun because you want to be prepared is a bit different.
You would still go anywhere without your gun you just prefer to take it.
Same with having a gun in your home. Having a gun to protect your house just in case would be a good thing.
I understand there is a fine line between the points I am trying to make.

Yeah, Germany doesn't really have a military anymore. We had more combat ready aircraft in May 1945 than in May 2018 :).

I just faced a scary situation & learned a lesson. Don’t ever get caught without a gun.

So me, my girlfriend & my daughter are in a hotel. At 2am we heard pounding on our door. I look though the peep hole & can see two guys in black hoodies with bandanas on their faces standing off to the side of the door. They think they’re hidden from view but I can clearly see them. I think they were hoping we would open the door looking to see who it was & then they would barge in. They were there for about 5 minutes. After awhile one of them put their ear up to the door to listen in & then the other covered up the peep hole. Finally they left.

During all of this my girlfriend went into the bathroom & called 911. About 20-30 minutes later two cops finally showed up. Had the guys forced their way into our room, they could’ve done whatever they intended & been long gone by the time the cops came. I felt completely helpless knowing I was up against two guys who I’m sure had guns. That’s not a good feeling when you’re in charge of protecting your girlfriend & daughter. It’s one thing when it’s just you, it’s completely different when your girlfriend & 10 month baby are in the room.

I’m no where near the anti gun type nor was I the type who felt the need to carry a gun for protection. That was until I faced this situation & realized carrying a gun is absolutely necessary. It only takes one time like this to learn that lesson.
Yes, God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal. If you're responsible enough it's a great idea to carry whenever it's legal to do so. 30 minutes is an eternity to wait. You need to be able to defend yourself.

Back