Time to start carrying a gun

You are literally bragging about being a pussy.
You are so scared for your life that you won't go into your own garden without a handgun?

I won't sit and relax around my house, unless I know my house has a working fire extinguisher.

There's absolutely nothing unusual with keeping tools on hand that help mitigate risk.

I’m very aquatinted with guns. I’ve been shooting my whole life. I own several guns. I just don’t carry a gun with me. Had they barged in, they would’ve been killed. I would’ve seen them first & I’m not missing that close. I do see your point though

I hope you're a better shot than this cop.

What hotel and in what town? A couple of masked gunmen pounded on your door and stood outside?

What the hell kind of robbery attempt is that and how did they walk into the hotel wearing masks? No doorman, receptionist, security cameras?

I'm guessing he meant "motel".

If I ever felt the need to carry a gun I would know my country as a society has failed. And I don't have a problem with gun ownership or carrying a gun.
I just wouldn't want to live in a country in which you couldn't live your life free of fear. And have a constant threat of crime or violence/death.
If that is the case I don't really need to be a country might as well go at it by myself.

So over dramatic.

Being a victim of a crime can change your outlook on things. It's not a judgement on the state of the nation to want to feel safe and be able to protect yourself with a gun, after you've been victimized.

So over dramatic.

Being a victim of a crime can change your outlook on things. It's not a judgement on the state of the nation to want to feel safe and be able to protect yourself with a gun, after you've been victimized.

Yes of course it is.
Just look at the countries where people think they need a gun.
Those are all shithole countries in South America and Africa and the US.
Almost no one in Japan, Norway or Germany thinks they need a gun for their daily safety.
Because they have systems in place that fight crimes before they occur.

Yes of course it is.
Almost no one in Japan, Norway or Germany thinks they need a gun for their daily safety.

Dear god.....wow.

Yes of course it is.

You're looking at it from a broad statistical stance.

That doesn't say anything about an individual being victimized and wanting to feel safe afterwords. I'm Canadian and have never felt the need or want to carry a gun. I'm not so pig headed to think that my mind couldn't be changed by somebody sticking a gun in face, and being at their mercy. My mind wouldn't go to (in the most over dramatic voice ever)"My country has failed me!", it would go to, "that's never happening to me again, and I'm going to be prepared next time"

Bad guys with guy can easily kill that gator, or distract it with some bait.

you-dont-say.gif

You're looking at it from a broad statistical stance.

That doesn't say anything about an individual being victimized and wanting to feel safe afterwords. I'm Canadian and have never felt the need or want to carry a gun. I'm not so pig headed to think that my mind couldn't be changed by somebody sticking a gun in face, and being at their mercy. My mind wouldn't go to (in the most over dramatic voice ever)"My country has failed me!", it would go to, "that's never happening to me again, and I'm going to be prepared next time"

Ok, I understand what you mean. If I were to be victimized I might would feel the same way.
But that is not why most people carry a gun. Most people carry a gun because they don't feel safe in their own country without ever personally being victimized. A general feeling of fear in your society is a failure IMO.

Ok, I understand what you mean. If I were to be victimized I might would feel the same way.
But that is not why most people carry a gun. Most people carry a gun because they don't feel safe in their own country without ever personally being victimized. A general feeling of fear in your society is a failure IMO.

We all lock our doors don't we? Is that also a failure of society?

A gun is just a security measure. One that Americans have ingrained in their culture. It doesn't necessarily say anything about fear, or failure of a society. It's just common sense to a certain culture to own a gun. I could argue that given the population, and sheer amount of guns and ammo freely available in the US, that in a weird way it's a success of their society that they aren't at constant war, and the death tolls of gun violence isn't in the millions every year.

We all lock our doors don't we? Is that also a failure of society?

A gun is just a security measure. One that Americans have ingrained in their culture. It doesn't necessarily say anything about fear, or failure of a society. It's just common sense to a certain culture to own a gun. I could argue that given the population, and sheer amount of guns and ammo freely available in the US, that in a weird way it's a success of their society that they aren't at constant war, and the death tolls of gun violence isn't in the millions every year.

Where I am from people don't lock their doors. But that's' small town Germany :).
There is nothing wrong with owning a gun. I would do the same thing if I were in the US.
I was just commenting on the fear of having to own a gun and carrying it everywhere. Which I assume this thread is about.
That would be something I would not be comfortable with. That would be a failure of society IMO.
Because society as a whole let it come that far. A good example of that would be South Africa not so much the US.

If it were to come to a situation where I would feel the need to be armed at all times.
I would demand serious changes in society. Because it is possible to not live in a society where its needed to be armed.

I would have just setup claymores at the entrance.

Where I am from people don't lock their doors. But that's' small town Germany :).
There is nothing wrong with owning a gun. I would do the same thing if I were in the US.
I was just commenting on the fear of having to own a gun and carrying it everywhere. Which I assume this thread is about.
That would be something I would not be comfortable with. That would be a failure of society IMO.
Because society as a whole let it come that far. A good example of that would be South Africa not so much the US.

If it were to come to a situation where I would feel the need to be armed at all times.
I would demand serious changes in society. Because it is possible to not live in a society where its needed to be armed.

I've spent some time in Munich. It's wayyyy more civilized that major American cities, so I'd guess even most big towns in Germany are superior for civility than American cities (INB4 rapeugee bots).

Despite all our total riches, American society is largely just pigs at a trough dying to get fed. Like you know when a farmer comes and throws a bunch of slop on the floor, a bunch of pigs go banging up against each other to get to the slop and wolf it down. Just picture the opening of the doors to Walmart on Black Friday and how people leave their dignity at the door for a discount.

Same thing when I spent time in Spain. You can go to the pub, have a great conversation, and have people actually bring you food (not nuts and popcorn, good food) on the house.

I can hardly picture that concept working here; you know what would happen under such a paradigm. It would be a bunch of shitheads talking shit, ordering a single beer, and harping on staff to bring out more free food, then leaving no tip, cuz you know, tipping is stupid.... Then maybe a carjacking on your way out; followed by going online about how bad it is in other countries where people don't have guns everywhere.

What hotel and in what town? A couple of masked gunmen pounded on your door and stood outside?

What the hell kind of robbery attempt is that and how did they walk into the hotel wearing masks? No doorman, receptionist, security cameras?
Sorry sounds like BS. TS fell asleep playing Xbox in his moms basement and dreamed he actually had a GF

I won't sit and relax around my house, unless I know my house has a working fire extinguisher.

There's absolutely nothing unusual with keeping tools on hand that help mitigate risk.
That's a bit different isn't it.
I personally do not have a fire extinguisher at home, but I can certainly imagine someone wanting one/feeling more secure at home with one, especially if they have children. It's a fairly logical thought in my eyes.
Thinking "I can't mow my lawn without a gun in the holster" just sounds like the delusional thoughts of a paranoid pussy to me.

I just faced a scary situation & learned a lesson. Don’t ever get caught without a gun.

So me, my girlfriend & my daughter are in a hotel. At 2am we heard pounding on our door. I look though the peep hole & can see two guys in black hoodies with bandanas on their faces standing off to the side of the door. They think they’re hidden from view but I can clearly see them. I think they were hoping we would open the door looking to see who it was & then they would barge in. They were there for about 5 minutes. After awhile one of them put their ear up to the door to listen in & then the other covered up the peep hole. Finally they left.

During all of this my girlfriend went into the bathroom & called 911. About 20-30 minutes later two cops finally showed up. Had the guys forced their way into our room, they could’ve done whatever they intended & been long gone by the time the cops came. I felt completely helpless knowing I was up against two guys who I’m sure had guns. That’s not a good feeling when you’re in charge of protecting your girlfriend & daughter. It’s one thing when it’s just you, it’s completely different when your girlfriend & 10 month baby are in the room.

I’m no where near the anti gun type nor was I the type who felt the need to carry a gun for protection. That was until I faced this situation & realized carrying a gun is absolutely necessary. It only takes one time like this to learn that lesson.

Yup. A shotgun would have turned this situation entirely in your favor. They kick in the door, boom boom boom, face full of buckshot for both these assholes.

Did they go down the hall and try other rooms? Seems weird they would randomly pick you and then just leave.

If you’re not already acquainted with firearms please just take classes and learn about firearm safety regarding everything from handling to cleaning to storage. If you don’t you and your family will absolutely be less safe with the gun around than without.

And two guys with guns in this scenario would still outgun you. Keeping your family safe wouldn’t necessarily include being a trigger happy “hero” as it didn’t this time. You played it cool and smart and you guys were safe.

I'll take 1 pump action shotgun over 2 pistols in that situation all day. Especially if I'm behind cover and they're coming down a narrow hallway towards me.

I've spent some time in Munich. It's wayyyy more civilized that major American cities, so I'd guess even most big towns in Germany are superior for civility than American cities (INB4 rapeugee bots).

Despite all our total riches, American society is largely just pigs at a trough dying to get fed. Like you know when a farmer comes and throws a bunch of slop on the floor, a bunch of pigs go banging up against each other to get to the slop and wolf it down. Just picture the opening of the doors to Walmart on Black Friday and how people leave their dignity at the door for a discount.

Same thing when I spent time in Spain. You can go to the pub, have a great conversation, and have people actually bring you food (not nuts and popcorn, good food) on the house.

I can hardly picture that concept working here; you know what would happen under such a paradigm. It would be a bunch of shitheads talking shit, ordering a single beer, and harping on staff to bring out more free food, then leaving no tip, cuz you know, tipping is stupid.... Then maybe a carjacking on your way out; followed by going online about how bad it is in other countries where people don't have guns everywhere.

Yeah, that is not really gun related anymore. But I think the biggest difference between the US and the rest of the West is that the US is incredibly individualistic. Most Americans are just concerned with how they can use the system for their own gain right now.
While in Europe you still have people that consider society as a whole when making decisions. There is still some kind of loyalty to your fellow man. In the US its all about me and how I can profit right now. If that means everyone else is worse of in 10 years is to no concern.

That's also why the US needs to have very strict laws for everything. There can be no ''gray area'' because everyone would take advantage of those grey areas. That's why you have all those signs and need to sign waivers for everything.
In Europe people still, have a mindset of not bending every rule to their advantage because if everyone would do it the system wouldn't work.

That being said, of course, it is not all Americans but to many.

That must have been a crappy hotel you stayed in. I don't think that carrying a gun everywhere is going to solve the problem. It may actually cause more problems. So, if you had a gun and the 2 guys also had guns (assumption) and came into your room, you shoot one guy while the other shoots you. Two dead. Now, the one left alive is pissed off and decides to shoot your girlfriend and daughter. Was that such a good idea? Either way you were outmanned and outgunned. Robbers don't want to kill anyone. They want money and jewelry. Give them what they want. Surprise them with a gun and they will shoot you. Real life is not like a Hollywood movie. Don't have children near loaded guns. A gun can be taken from you and used against you. It will give you a false sense of security. Mr. trigger happy. If you shoot someone and kill them, make sure the law was in your side, otherwise you just won a ticket to life in prison.

More likely they open door, he fires and they run away. They weren't looking to get into a gun fight. You sound 12.

I just faced a scary situation & learned a lesson. Don’t ever get caught without a gun.

So me, my girlfriend & my daughter are in a hotel. At 2am we heard pounding on our door. I look though the peep hole & can see two guys in black hoodies with bandanas on their faces standing off to the side of the door. They think they’re hidden from view but I can clearly see them. I think they were hoping we would open the door looking to see who it was & then they would barge in. They were there for about 5 minutes. After awhile one of them put their ear up to the door to listen in & then the other covered up the peep hole. Finally they left.

During all of this my girlfriend went into the bathroom & called 911. About 20-30 minutes later two cops finally showed up. Had the guys forced their way into our room, they could’ve done whatever they intended & been long gone by the time the cops came. I felt completely helpless knowing I was up against two guys who I’m sure had guns. That’s not a good feeling when you’re in charge of protecting your girlfriend & daughter. It’s one thing when it’s just you, it’s completely different when your girlfriend & 10 month baby are in the room.

I’m no where near the anti gun type nor was I the type who felt the need to carry a gun for protection. That was until I faced this situation & realized carrying a gun is absolutely necessary. It only takes one time like this to learn that lesson.

Here's the real lesson: Don't go into debt with your drug dealers.

Back