Time to settle this once and for all: the oxford comma - do you use it?

Which crew do you belong to?

• Oxford crew checking in

• Non-Oxford crew checking in

• Pitbull the rapper crew checking in

Results are only viewable after voting.
While technically it wasn't a rule in the AP style book, it was accepted that writing be as simple and clean as possible and that people didn't want to have to pause over it while reading a news story.

But if it makes you feel any better John Wang, I think it's a great Vampire Weekend song.

I've never used it. I was taught that it's not needed. But then again, I'm American. After looking at the orange juice toast, it's kind of making me want to use it. But then again, if orange juice and toast makes you think of orange juice soaked toast, then you need help. I refuse to be a snobby Euro. Everything about them, from their dress attire, to food, to vocabulary, to grammar and even to punctuation. It's not needed and nothing but a nuance.

4075967-lql-laughing-quite-8or63y.jpg

I've been leaning away from the Oxford comma after spending most of my life being intimate with it. Not sure why, it's just looking weirder now. Plus I just don't have time for it with the influx of poon these days.

I'm not going to say that every person dumber than me doesn't use the Oxford comma. However, I will say that everyone who doesn't use the Oxford comma is dumber than me.

I am a member of the Oxford Comma Using Master Race Crew.. what about you??

Oxford brahs
enhanced-buzz-19599-1389811749-10.jpg

oxford-comma-examples.jpg

OR

Non-Oxford brahs
2b5.jpg
The last meme makes no sense. The point of the Oxford comma is to establish that each item in the set is independent of one another. If theres a comma separating the rhino and Wahington, that in no way implies they represent the same entity.

The last meme makes no sense. The point of the Oxford comma is to establish that each item in the set is independent of one another. If theres a comma separating the rhino and Wahington, that in no way implies they represent the same entity.
Amen to that!!

Only if I'm listing more than 3 items. If it's only 3 items, no. Of course, there are exceptions. But I'm a total comma whore already. I don't need to be using any more of them.

I usually won't use it, but it really depends on my audience and the context.

Last edited:
I use it
can't remember exactly but I think it's preferred in APA style of writing, which both my Master's were in.
Undergrad used Univ of Chicago mostly, can't remember.

But I've always used it

In journalism school it was a big no no. So I don't use it.

i was so confused
was taught this as a kid BUT
when moved to UK was told NO
i still use it to chagrin
but fuck em

never even heard of the oxford comma until that Vampire Weekend song came out. I've used it ever since

Waiting for the emoji equivalent

Back