Time between sets.

BACKDOG

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
There is a gym at my work, albeit it's pretty basic but still gives me the opportunity to lift. I realise the most beneficial rest time between sets would be 1-3 mins. But, could I space my workout over a complete day? I'm at the office for around 10-11 hours a day. My idea was to focus on one lift per day, do a heavy set of 5-7 reps, then 2 hours later do another set, completing 5 sets over the course of the day. My boss won't care if I duck up to the gym for 5-10 mins at a time throughout the day, as most of my colleagues would be going for a cigarette break periodically anyway. Would I still enjoy the strength gains this way, or would it be better just to devote a complete hour block to working out?

You'll be cold between sets, so I probably wouldn't go heavier than "what I can confidently nail every time with no warmup". But programs like Dan John's easy strength work just fine with that, and you'll be recovered AF

If you lift heavy you should warm up a few minutes before, do some mobility, etc. I dont think it is a great idea if you are going really heavy.

Dont you have a lunch break? I used to go to the gym and then eat in my desk after. It all depends on where you work and if it is allowed.

Back