Tim Sylvia hespect thread

In most most fights he relied heavily on a long jab and TDD, which he got very good at and his size assisted greatly. That's no knock on him, but it gave us some horridly boring fights, mainly once he snatched the title.

I do admit that I booed while watching him fight Brandon Vera live. You pay all that money, travel a long distance, and they just clinch and jab for 25 minutes.

He was a dam good fighter though. Knocked a lot of motherfuckers out.

A real sherdogger right here folks.

Smoked by Randy lol

Lacked any athleticism, but managed to learn to sprawl despite his height

Ricco was a monster when he beat him. Also beat AA twice.

He was somewhat weird, but let's not rewrite history because we were not fans, like a typical sherdogger.
What do you mean "smoked by Randy lol". He did get smoked by Randy...how's that a funny or illogical statement?

I'm not rewriting history mate. It is what it is. Big Timmeh did not resonate with fans. He was awkward. He did rely on a jab and TDD in most of his fights. He did lose in embarrassing fashion a lot. He did shit himself in the cage.

I even gave him credit for having good wins. Up until he won the belt, he was a monster. But we can't pretend he was something he wasn't. Ricco and AA are good wins, but he lost to the only top 3 elite HWs he faced after 2005, which is not ideal when you are a 2x UFC champ.

He's underrated around these boards, but let's not pretend he was Cain Velasquez.

Never a Tim Sylvia fan but when he beat up Vera and i think he told him "welcome to the big boys", made me happy and appreciate Timmy.

He's one of the first guys I ever saw fight mma. Hespect

Big Tim doesn't get enough love and hespect around here.

Was a large dude who turned his life around and became one of the most dominant HW UFC champs of all time.

Won the belt through dedication and devotion--he wasn't blessed with god given or natural talent other than his size.

Conducted himself with class and dignity and embodied many championship qualities in and outside the ring (wasn't on tmz or in the news for stupid shit).

And did very well for himself all things considered.

A number of highlight koes, and was disliked by Dayna, but still did rather well for himself.

Hats off to big Tim.
He was good while he was on PEDs. After that he was pretty bad.

He was treated so badly by fans during his title reign. He was always classy. He was always prepared to fight. He did a lot of the right things.

I'm happy for him that he got to experience such a quality run in the UFC

Heh, it got to the point where the mods made a sticky telling posters to stop with the Tim hate.

A lot of people don't like Tim Sylvia is only be chase of his body and because of his fight against Ray mercer.

He had a decent jab, herky-jerky (Jardine-like) movements, and was a legit Top 10 HW in the early-mid 2000s. It would have been awesome to see him fight the Pride dudes in like 2004 (I think he was already on the decline by 2008) but hey, it is what it is.

What do you mean "smoked by Randy lol". He did get smoked by Randy...how's that a funny or illogical statement?

I'm not rewriting history mate. It is what it is. Big Timmeh did not resonate with fans. He was awkward. He did rely on a jab and TDD in most of his fights. He did lose in embarrassing fashion a lot. He did shit himself in the cage.

I even gave him credit for having good wins. Up until he won the belt, he was a monster. But we can't pretend he was something he wasn't. Ricco and AA are good wins, but he lost to the only top 3 elite HWs he faced after 2005, which is not ideal when you are a 2x UFC champ.

He's underrated around these boards, but let's not pretend he was Cain Velasquez.

When you say "let's not pretend he's Cain velasquez" is it because he actually fought more than once every two years, or do you mean he wasn't overhyped and koed on the biggest stage ever, or do you mean Tim actually defended his belt a few times?

Which is it?

Also, head kick ko for someone his height was pretty impressive.

I think it was the telligman man.

Did he pass all of his drug test? I was just curious because I have heard people who fail test are cheaters and not many people respect cheating especially when people can get badly injured as a result. I am not the one who said this but it makes sense

He got dinged for dieuretics during his UFC career.

its a real shame he had that ray mercer fight. he coulda had some exciting fights if he came back to the ufc.

the arlovski win was by far his best, much better than people realize but he went downhill rather quickly

When you say "let's not pretend he's Cain velasquez" is it because he actually fought more than once every two years, or do you mean he wasn't overhyped and koed on the biggest stage ever, or do you mean Tim actually defended his belt a few times?

Which is it?
LOL...I see what you did there ;)

Cain is an injury machine and never fights. We all know that. Cain was never overhyped however, and getting KO'd by JDS is far from the same embarrassment as Sylvia getting KO'd by the likes of Mercer, if it''s the JDS KO that you're alluding to there. Cain also defended his belt twice, and from memory, Tim only defended twice as well, and they were exceptionally uneventful fights. So I'm not getting what parallels you are trying to draw with those comments.

I meant Tim was no Cain Valasquez in the sense that he lacked a lot of the athletic traits that Cain and a lot of modern day elite HW's have. You think I'm shitting on Tim (no pun intended) exclusively, but I have given him the props he deserves, but he was a very one dimensional fighter who relied on his size to impose his limited skills. So that's what I mean by the comparison. It's not exactly debatable, either.

I put him in the same basket as someone like Forrest Griffin: a hard worker, good output and utilized an effective gameplan and physical size to overcome their lack of athletic attributes. The key difference being that Forrest had charisma and a self-deprecating attitude that resonated with fans. Tim was about as fan repellent as they come.

Also, head kick ko for someone his height was pretty impressive.

I think it was the telligman man.
There was a rumor circulating for years that Telligman actually died from that head kick and the UFC covered it up.

I do admit that I booed while watching him fight Brandon Vera live. You pay all that money, travel a long distance, and they just clinch and jab for 25 minutes.

He was a dam good fighter though. Knocked a lot of motherfuckers out.
True, but I don't remember him looking THAT bad in the Vera fight. I thought Vera had the worse performance of the two (didn't he break his hand or something early on?). I actually thought his Monson and AA II fights were worse. He literally just jabbed and sprawled his way to completely uneventful wins in those defenses.

Ironically, he looked pretty good against Big Nog before getting subbed. Tim always looked his best when he didn't have the belt. Of course, his entire career went to shit after the Nog fight, but that was a fight that surprised me. I thought Nog would have out-boxed him on the feet like Couture did.

LOL...I see what you did there ;)

Cain is an injury machine and never fights. We all know that. Cain was never overhyped however, and getting KO'd by JDS is far from the same embarrassment as Sylvia getting KO'd by the likes of Mercer, if it''s the JDS KO that you're alluding to there. Cain also defended his belt twice, and from memory, Tim only defended twice as well, and they were exceptionally uneventful fights. So I'm not getting what parallels you are trying to draw with those comments.

I meant Tim was no Cain Valasquez in the sense that he lacked a lot of the athletic traits that Cain and a lot of modern day elite HW's have. You think I'm shitting on Tim (no pun intended) exclusively, but I have given him the props he deserves, but he was a very one dimensional fighter who relied on his size to impose his limited skills. So that's what I mean by the comparison. It's not exactly debatable, either.

I put him in the same basket as someone like Forrest Griffin: a hard worker, good output and utilized an effective gameplan and physical size to overcome their lack of athletic attributes. The key difference being that Forrest had charisma and a self-deprecating attitude that resonated with fans. Tim was about as fan repellent as they come.

I agree, getting koed by one of the most powerful boxers ever is far worse than getting koed by jds.

I agree, getting koed by one of the most powerful boxers ever is far worse than getting koed by jds.
Ray Mercer was literally in his 50's. JDS was in his prime, the #1 UFC contender and the heaviest hitter in the sport.

Are you seriously arguing that Cain losing to JDS in their first fight was more embarrassing than Sylvia losing to Mercer?

I think we are done here, Carl.

Back