Tim Sylvia hespect thread

Would've liked to have seen Tim vs Brock way back. Two guys fighting that are on total opposite sides of the spectrum. Brock a big athletic beast with all the natural talent in the world. Tim Sylvia, a big beast, not athletic explosive at all, not really talented in any one skill too much but found a way to make it work.

Also, Tim caught alot of hate way back because he was an incredibly boring champ and fighter in general, while simultaneously reigning in the weakest HW division ever. Kind of like how Tyrone Woodley gets shit on nowadays, good fighter, but boring as hell and reigning supreme in the WW divisions weakest state in years.

None of you give a shit about Sylvia, you are just trying to hype him up so that Fedor's win over him looks better.

Big Tim doesn't get enough love and hespect around here.

Was a large dude who turned his life around and became one of the most dominant HW UFC champs of all time.

Won the belt through dedication and devotion--he wasn't blessed with god given or natural talent other than his size.

Conducted himself with class and dignity and embodied many championship qualities in and outside the ring (wasn't on tmz or in the news for stupid shit).

And did very well for himself all things considered.

A number of highlight koes, and was disliked by Dayna, but still did rather well for himself.

Hats off to big Tim.

Tim Sylvia after they told him he was banned for taking steroids ...
" I didn't take any stereos" ... thinking he was being busted for stealing car stereos.

"Half this game is 90% mental" - Tim Sylvia

Tim Sylvia after they told him he was banned for taking steroids ...
" I didn't take any stereos" ... thinking he was being busted for stealing car stereos.

"Half this game is 90% mental" - Tim Sylvia

tenor.gif

One of the fights that really got me into the sport was him vs Cabbage. What a beatdown

I remember he shut Brandon Vera down pretty bad. Was also shutting Nog down before the sub, but Nog is Nog.

- shit himself in the cage
- wore his belt EVERYWHERE, including to bed
- put on extremely boring fights after he won the belt
- went on that dating show (I can't even rewatch...it's just too embarrassing)
- got smoked by real HW talent when he finally fought them (Randy, Fedor and Not)
- went on to put on 100+ pounds and get KOd in embarrassing fashion.

Poor Tim. He was legitimate in his day, but he's the definition of getting left behind by show business. Unpleasant physique, kinda ugly, awkward personality, lacked any real athleticism traits. Shit himself.

He made it to the top by using his huge size, a long jab and TDD at a time when there wasn't much competition. At least he made us laugh.

- got smoked by real HW talent when he finally fought them (Randy, Fedor and Not)

Poor Tim. He was legitimate in his day, but he's the definition of getting left behind by show business. Unpleasant physique, kinda ugly, awkward personality, lacked any real athleticism traits. Shit himself.

He made it to the top by using his huge size, a long jab and TDD at a time when there wasn't much competition. At least he made us laugh

i think you are minimizing teh big fellas work ethic.

he wasnt blessed with natural ability, and his success reflects his work ethic, and shows how apt a pupil he was.

i wont lie
that fat goof was somehow entertaining
but tje words sylvia and class dont quite bond, lad

He made it to the top by using his huge size, a long jab and TDD at a time when there wasn't much competition. At least he made us laugh.
A real sherdogger right here folks.

Smoked by Randy lol

Lacked any athleticism, but managed to learn to sprawl despite his height

Ricco was a monster when he beat him. Also beat AA twice.

He was somewhat weird, but let's not rewrite history because we were not fans, like a typical sherdogger.

i think you are minimizing teh big fellas work ethic.

he wasnt blessed with natural ability, and his success reflects his work ethic, and shows how apt a pupil he was.
I didn't mean to sell him short. No doubt he worked hard. No one becomes UFC champ without working hard. He's also gone 5 rounds a couple of times, which for a guy his size, would mean he has to be a workhorse in the gym.

But that's kind of the reality of it - he relied on two tools. In most most fights he relied heavily on a long jab and TDD, which he got very good at and his size assisted greatly. That's no knock on him, but it gave us some horridly boring fights, mainly once he snatched the title.

Then there's this thing about Hughes making him cry in the gym...why someone of Sylvia's size wouldn't just hammer fist Hughes into the ground if he was running his mouth like that instead of breaking down and crying.

I dunno. Sylvia is probably the most misunderstood MMA champ in history. Sherdog had a good article on the big Timmeh a while back.

Won the trilogy against that one scary, hairy dude with the mouthpiece with pointy teeth painted on it.

Respect.

Back