Tim Kennedy Shares His Thoughts on Anti-Depressants

As someone clean from anti depressants for about a year now. I've tried them all mostly. Lexapro, Zoloft, Paxil, cymbalta..They are not without their side effects. The best is a good diet, exercise stuff like that. It's a crutch and I wish they weren't used as long term solutions. I'm not against them. It's complicated.

Exactly.

Drugs just mask the problem.

Personnaly, anti-depression drugs (Cipralex) helped me a lot so I cannot advocate against it. That said, exercise, the sun and healthy food are also great remedies, they just take more time to take effect and hard habbit to take when you are in a deep depression.

Sure there are people taking anti depressants who dont really need and benefit from them them just like there are people taking benzodiazepines, opiates etc but at the same time there are seriously mentally ill people who need those kind of medication. Saying everybody who is depressed should just get out on the sun and find a girlfriend is stupid and ignorant. But its kennedy so not really surprised. Did he find hitler yet?

Tim may be onto something. Around here, we treat depression as a deficiency of a pill. Of course sometimes they work, but big Pharma makes a lot of money selling these drugs. I do not believe they are doing as much help as we have been lead to believe.

As a guy diagnosed with Major depression, it's both, Skills and pills. Mindset and lifestyle play a big role, but tell someone who was diagnosed with cancer at 24 that all they have to do is exercise and be positive, I'm waiting.

I agree

I was on antidepressants years ago, they made me emotionless i was also depressed if i went off and then would ponder while on them wondering if i were still human i remember cutting my arm while on them to see if i still feel pain. When i went off it was weird for the first few weeks it was scary super depressive stare, i fought it out thinking and psyching my mind, and no longer use them, the mind is powerful if you are weak minded dweller you are pretty muched fucked because antidepressents just make you an emotionless zombie, its all part of the capitalist way sell drugs to keep people come back to rely on it, its the legalized drug dealing.

People dont realize how powerful and dangerous these meds are

As a guy diagnosed with Major depression, it's both, Skills and pills. Mindset and lifestyle play a big role, but tell someone who was diagnosed with cancer at 24 that all they have to do is exercise and be positive, I'm waiting.

Why bring up cancer? This has to do with mental depression lol two totaly different medicines.

Mindset and lifestyle play a big role, but tell someone who was diagnosed with cancer at 24 that all they have to do is exercise and be positive, I'm waiting.

Exactly. Nobody would tell someone who broke his feet to not take pain medication but when it comes to mental illness people with zero knowledge think they are some kind of expert.

Why bring up cancer? This has to do with mental depression lol two totaly different medicines.

I fell into major depression after having a CAT scan of my abdomen return back and being diagnosed with Stage 2 Colon cancer. I had to be placed in patient for 2 weeks and off work for 1 month because of what I was considering doing to myself due to the lifestyle change and pain I am suffering from everyday. If someone told me that that the simple solution was to Exercise, be with friends and enjoy sunshine when my body is dying on me when I am only 24 years old I would consider them to be ignorant of what depression can result from and how serious an issue it is.

Why are so many people even depressed. There is so much shit to do. You can literally make shit up and make a life out of it. We live in a time where you can learn anything, go anywhere. See anything. Create anything. I feel like if you go to far into the realm of “what’s the point of anything?” You start to lose your presence, and enjoyment of life suffers. Fuck a meaning, let’s have some fun, have great relationships and remind each other we aren’t alone and there are people who want to have fun with us
Some people are depressed for the same reason that some people think the CIA is talking to them through their teeth. Their brains are broken. Just like working out and getting sunlight wouldn't cure schizophrenia, it also doesn't cure real depression.

It's like saying that lifting weights makes a a normal person more muscular. So, a person with a muscle wasting disease should just lift weights to get more muscle. o_O

Depression is not a real illness. It was only made one to benefit big pharma. Depressed people generally have real reasons to be depressed, mainly their shitty life. Also, this suicide increase is almost entirely due to males. The end of respectable blue collar work coupled with increasing number of females no needing or wanting to settle down has made a demographic of men completely obsolete.

Exercise, sex, sunlight, healthy diet, the ocean and friendships didn't seem to work as a cure for Bourdain, though. I'm pretty sure the guy had all of it.

Not sold on the effects of anti-depressants, either.

Screenshot_20180612-233411_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20180612-233438_Instagram.jpg

What people fail to realize is that when you're depressed you don't even want to get out of the bed.
Let alone taking a walking outside, talking to family and friends and experiencing life.

What antidepressants really do is taking you out of this stationary condition.

It makes your mood a little better so you can start to not feeling like shit anymore.

The real problem imo is the overdiagnoses of depression.
Many times a person is just getting trough a rough time and they put you in antidepressants meds.

But please, do not make crusades against antidepressants.
Most of the times that's the only hope AND solution that someone suffering from depression has.
Take someone's hope away and they might suicide.

If you suffering from depression, go see a doctor. Take the meds if needed.
Meds didn't work? Try a different one.
Also didn't work?
Try another doctor, another medication.
Rise and repeat.
Don't give up.

I know what I'm saying.
I've been dealing with depression for 15 years and I've tried alot of different medication.
I was about to give up until I finally found the right medication.

Just don't linger the problem like I did.
You don't want 15 years dealing with depression, trust me.

I don’t disagree wirh the main point. The reason I don’t take pills is they don’t fix any problems and they make the user dependent on them to where depression is worse without them. They sell you addiction and even more reasons to be depressed...and anybody can qualify for them. Everybody gets depressed sometimes.

Tim makes It sound too simple though

Depression is the result of a chemical imbalance in the brain,, while living the good life and enjoying stuff might help mild cases,, it doesnt address the chemical imbalance.. Suggesting that one can "do something fun" to make it better is playing a dangerous game.. Diabetics take medicine to treat their ailment or suffer the consequences,, the worse the diabetic,, the bigger the stakes,, depression is NO DIFFERENT,, the worse it is,, the bigger the stakes

Anti-depressants and big pharma companies are a load of shit, any level headed adult should be able to realize this.

Kennedy isn’t some genius for pointing it out.
Interesting, after my career ending injury in college wrestling I took them for 6 months, life saver. Now I take nothing and work a great job and I'm in great shape. Plus the whole "Big pharma is BS" argument is stupid. People like to blame things other than themselves for poor health and being losers.

Btw let's see some citations that anti-depressants don't work.

This. My mom died 4 months ago from Leptomenengial Disease. She was on Ativan and an SSRI (can't remember). They played a huge role in quality of life in her last few months. I'd also love to see the alma matters of everyone against anti depressants (not saying they're perfect but when used properly are huge). I'm guessing they stayed FAR away from the STEM fields.

Back