Tim Kennedy pays Greg Jackson/Jackson's MMA 23% of his earnings

The crazy part to me is he's paying a percentage for gym fees. You should be paying a flat fee for gym fees as they are a specific cost that can be easily budgeted not paying for a talent or skill of a coach. That and the fact that he's paying more for gym fees than he is for the services of a one of MMA's top coaches.

Edit - Just wondering if anyone with knowledge can answer this. Would Jackson taking part of his pay as Gym fees through his business save him taxes in anyway?

A gym fee is a flat fee, not a percentage.

It's more likely that the percentage simply means you take the gym fee divide by Kennedy's total earning.

GYM FEE
TOTAL EARNING

For example, let's say Kennedy makes $10,000 in total earning.
And if the gym fee is $1,300 for the entire training camp, the percentage is:

$1,300 Gym Fee
------------------------- x 100 => 13%
$10,000 Total earning

But... let's say Kennedy makes $20,000 in total earning, then the percentage is:

$1,300 Gym Fee
------------------------- x 100 => 6.5%
$20,000 Total earning

Funny as Jackson were saying in an interview, that he takes no money from the fighters. If they wanted to give something then they could and that was about it.

I saw the same interview. I don't think he's lying as someone alluded to. He could possibly use the pay-what-you-can model for new/poor fighters or maybe they implemented a new fee structure because they simply had too many fighters. Who knows.

A gym fee is a flat fee, not a percentage.

It's more likely that the percentage simply means you take the gym fee divide by Kennedy's total earning.

GYM FEE
TOTAL EARNING

For example, let's say Kennedy makes $10,000 in total earning.
And if the gym fee is $1,300 for the entire training camp, the percentage is:

$1,300 Gym Fee
------------------------- x 100 => 13%
$10,000 Total earning

But... let's say Kennedy makes $20,000 in total earning, then the percentage is:

$1,300 Gym Fee
------------------------- x 100 => 6.5%
$20,000 Total earning

That makes alot more sense thanks.

That makes alot more sense thanks.

You're welcome.

Just thought I help clarify this. The percentage is very misleading and makes it looks like the gym fee goes up as a fighter makes more. (But it doesn't :icon_chee)

So basically Tim Kennedy is not very smart with his money but it doesn't stop him from complaining anyways.

Does he need to pay on top of the 23% for training camps? If he does, that would suck.

Gym FEES should be FEES, like $99/month, not a percentage of your income.

I get giving the trainer a % of your income, the better you do the better they do. But the gym offers the same services to everyone. Same weights, same cage, same electricity, etc. A gym membership costs around $50 a month at the local 24 Hour Fitness, so say it costs twice that for a really good MMA gym. Hell 4 times that. $200/month. I'd still say that's fair. But not 13% of your income. That's not a fee.

But he apparently did agree to it. Greg Jackson's just a lucky fuck, having someone like Jon Jones walk in there one day.

I'm sure that the 10 percent is for management, and the 13 percent is for all the costs that go into training him. Greg can't personally coach everyone on every aspect so he has trainers that do it for him and he has to pay them.

That 10% on top of the 13% is amazing to me, because I assume Tim Kennedy also has an agent he also need to pay another 3% or so.

Maybe this is how it is for combat sports. *shrugs*

Let me look up boxing...

From what one person said (which seemed plausible), a trainer usually makes around 10% of the purse, unless it's a mega pay day, in which case they negotiate down from 10%, but the trainer still...makes it rain. :D

I'm not understanding the percentage fee for the gym though. Did Chris Weidman pay $0 last year since he didn't fight? Did GSP pay $0 for over a year?

While you're right that it is probably a flat fee, you're grossly misrepresenting the facts. Tim Kennedy said 13 % of his total earning are allotted for gym fees before taxes, smart guy. That's about $9000 if Mr. Kennedy is making $70,000 on fight night (if he wins). He gets $55,000 if he doesn't win, which is still $7150 in gym fees.

What?! You're basically assuming that the gym fee is not flat and goes up as Kennedy makes more, which does not make any sense in by itself! Kennedy never said that!

Trainer / manager fee is a percentage, yes.
Gym fee is a flat rate.

If he fights three times a year that's $27,000 or $21,450 on his gym fees alone. This is not including his 10% that goes to Greg Jackson.

Stop making up shit man. Gym fee is a flat rate.

Edit: To see how bullshit your assumption is (no offense), just take this for instance:

Let's say GSP makes $3,000,000 for one fight.

Based on what you said, he will have to pay $339,000 to use the SAME gym equipments that a low level fighter pays for $1,300?

GTFO with this bullshit!

Last edited:
Isn't the real issue here that unlike say a boxing camp you don't get the trainer exclusively for your camp. The way MMA works you can't. Any given camp might have three or more guys on the same card. That's the part that seems to be flawed. If Kennedy got 100 percent of Jackson's time for that 23 percent, or close to it, I think that's fair. Less fair for 20 percent of his time.

Its not up to the UFC to adjust how much their pay is depending on who they train with. He doesn't have to train with Greg Jackson if he doesn't want to pay all that money.

13% is ridiculous. He shouldn't pay any more than a new 17 year old kid using the facilities that's there for the same amount each day. Of course, he should pay more for Jackson's services and a percentage is fine if thats how greg charges.

It cost more to get one on one time with coaches instead of taking a typical MMA class at a gym.

Back