Tim Elliot is pretty pissed off at the UFC, feels like they "spit in his face"

Easy math.
Show up on weight = Get show money
Win = Get win money

He only did one of these, he had the chance to get extra money but he passed that up.

I can almost guarantee that he just secured a spot on the MMA Hour next week. Ariel wouldn't miss a chance to shit on the UFC.

images

He fought John. Fucking. Dodson. As much as I like John, saying he was number 1 in the world is idiotic.

They gave you the opportunity to win 6 figures, train with some of the best fighters in your weight class, and some of the best coaches in the sport. Yeah, it had to have been stressful, but they offered you the opportunity. You could've turned it down and kept defending the title you had just won.

The guy has had a mediocre run in the promotion with brief flashes of brilliance (Nearly pulling off a crotch ripper on Joe-B, for example.) Its been said time and time again, its a ruthless sport. Not being paid your win money in a situation like this should not be surprising. Look at the run around they gave Ferguson on the eve of 209. A fight with much higher stakes, yet he still only got paid his show money.

I can see why he's angry. He just bought a house and he has a daughter he needs to feed. But, when he's falsifying events in an attempt to make his point, its hard to take him seriously.

The 6 figure contract is such trash lol

It’s like 100k over 6 fights.

Lol! Wtf does that even mean? UFC is a business, not charity...

Let me put it to simple terms so kids like u can understand, u booked an anniversary dinner at restaurant UFC with ur gf a month prior, u "allocated" $1000 from ur savings so u will have a good time, a flood came and restaurant shut down, now do u still pay the restaurant because money is already allocated?

Dumbest thing I've heard
I like the example, you should do another.

It’s Dana and co. is anyone truly surprised anymore? It’s their modus operandi...
kH9mO.gif

He did give MM his toughest fight in my opinion. I at least respect him for that.

It's true that the UFC needs fighters, but the fighter doesn't need to be Tim Elliot. The UFC could cut him and sign Adriano Moraes or whoever. Who'd care?

He does need them though. For all his bitching about the UFC the alternative is fighting for pennies without insurance or access to the Performance Center.

Titan FC isn't going to give him jackshit if his opponent misses weight and they don't fight.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

It would be unwise to hire local jabronis to fight on televised events for a partner paying you tens of millions for the rights fees. The entire premise of Fox paying the UFC is predicated on them getting premium MMA.

There is without doubt a finite number of elite, professional trained and prepared flyweights on planet earth, right now. Tim Elliot is one of them. The UFC hired him for that reason.

So it is a reciprocal relationship. They literally need each other. Fox wouldn't need to pay the UFC if they could acquire regional talent rights at a fraction of the cost - that isn't what they want.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

It would be unwise to hire local jabronis to fight on televised events for a partner paying you tens of millions for the rights fees. The entire premise of Fox paying the UFC is predicated on them getting premium MMA.

There is without doubt a finite number of elite, professional trained and prepared flyweights on planet earth, right now. Tim Elliot is one of them. The UFC hired him for that reason.

So it is a reciprocal relationship. They literally need each other. Fox wouldn't need to pay the UFC if they could acquire regional talent rights at a fraction of the cost - that isn't what they want.

Good point.

It's easy to say "Yeah he needs the UFC, they could cut him and no one would care". While there's some truth to that, in the grander scheme of things of course the UFC NEED fighters, and good ones like Tim. As Georgie boy said, with no fighters the UFC is just three letters of the alphabet ;)

Show money, yes. Win money, no . You don't get an automatic win on your record just for showing up anymore than you get a loss on your record for not showing up. It's the life you chose my son. ;)

That is an inequitable relationship. If the UFC didn't need him, why would they hire him in the first place?

A more reasonable description of the relationship is that they need each other. The UFC is contractually obligated to provide cards to Fox, and you can't do that without fighters. Since we can all agree it is not safe or wise to let jabronis off the street show up to compete, the UFC hires suitably trained and prepared professional fighters.

Elliot is a suitably trained and prepared professional, and wants to be treated like a professional athlete. I don't find that outrageous. Through no fault of his own, he's losing out tens of thousands of dollars, that only comes around a few times a year. His gripe is legitimate.

It should be a more reciprocal relationship.
I agree with what you say except the part about missing out on tens of thousands of dollars, that money isn't guaranteed, it's a win bonus and if you don't fight you don't win, though I would absolutely give him his reebok money because that is guaranteed. How far do you go? Win bonus? What about FOTN? POTN?
You can't dish out on Coulda shoulda woulda.

Yes, you'd pay the UFC restaurant the $1000 coz if the flood hadn't have come and the UFC restaurant hadn't shut down then you would have paid them the $1000 anyway because you had it booked.
Haha Nooo you wouldn't, if I don't taste a $1000 ufc steak, I ain't paying for a $1000 ufc steak, flood isn't my fault.

Just fucking fight him then if it's that much of a deal.

A simple analogy is this, I'm a mechanic, if I get a road call to a break down you get charged for the call out and the repair, if for whatever reason I get there and your car or truck has started I'm not going to charge you for repair, just the call out fee.
Elliot turned up, was offered catch weight plus 20% of opponents purse, said no. Fucking shut up then.

To fight a guy who was five pounds bigger, half a weight class.

Yeah Lamas is a badass for still taking Oliviera and beating him anyway but I dont blame Tim for saying no. He signed on to fight at 125 and suffered to make the weight. Why should he be olbligated to fight at a disadvantage for 20% of a new signees show money, probably like 2k.

That said I think the only thing he didnt get that he should be entitled to is the Reebok money. Yeah i know thats probably only like 5k or something but that could still be a big difference for someone with trying to pay off a house and raise his kid.
But that's 5 lbs weigh in, that gap can close on rehydration and 5 lbs ain't shit anyway, you could put 5 lbs on and still use the same hole in your belt, for 20% of the other fighters purse, potential fight bonuses I'd happily fight that cunt...particularly with the mortgage and two year old child.

Show money, yes. Win money, no . You don't get an automatic win on your record just for showing up anymore than you get a loss on your record for not showing up. It's the life you chose my son. ;)

Lets think this all the way through.

Elliot was denied his opportunity to earn his win pay, threw no fault of his own. So he spent the money on his camp and a suitable amount of time training, usually several months of preparation.

If he showed up to fight, tripped and twisted his ankle walking up to the Octagon, I would say sure, he doesn't deserve his win money. That is common sense and logical. If he showed up like a professional, and made weight like a professional, then was told to take a hike because his opponent wasn't professional, where do we land?

Maybe something in the middle would make sense, eg, 25% of his win money?

These guys are fighting for peanuts and the UFC is raising money at a 5 billion valuation and shopping around to networks they deserve a multi-hundred million dollar rights fee increase. The only thing the UFC has to license rights fees for are fights, and Tim Elliot is literally their product.

Haha Nooo you wouldn't, if I don't taste a $1000 ufc steak, I ain't paying for a $1000 ufc steak, flood isn't my fault.

Lol. I was fucking around, bro.

UFC Steak hahaha fuck.

Back