Tiger Schulmann's Karate (TSK).

Shennen Maceo is a badass, I never felt more helpless in standup against him.

Im not gonna argue with you bc....well I really dont care enough to defend TSK's reputation but what do you mean by the school being a joke? DO you mean the ciriculum? the instructor? the students? etc

As far as you supposedly kicking the fuck out of one of there instructors who was an Olympic level fighter....Im confused by that!
Im confused bc we never trained anyone to be an Olympic fighter so I dont know where that bullshit came from?

I will say this....the head instructor there is LEGIT! You arent kicking the fuck out of him!
The other instructors that were there are now over in Carle Place and Rego Park - and they are good stand up fighters but not great grapplers. If you are talking about Chris Ivarone, he is about 5 foot 5 inches tall.... so CONGRATS on your win back in 99 when he was 18yrs old...your a real bad ass!

Not every martial arts school is looking to turn out UFC fighters remember that!!

I dont know his name. For the record, I was 16 at the time. The guy went around like a badass telling people off. Then again, this was around the time that TSK was actually considered a legit school (rex kwon do-ish in retrospect.)

As far as TSK is concerned. It is without a doubt a McDojo. You can find MUCH MUCH better instruction elsewhere for less then 50% of the cost.

TSK is overpriced and the instruction in 95% of the places is crap. Their main headquarters, with a facility that rivals American Top Team's, is run by an MMA fighter with a 1-4 record who hasn't fought since 2004, and that's the upper elcehon of their instruction. Most of their schools are tiny McDojos in strip malls that think having a row of Thai pads with the TSK logo on them makes them badass.

Please, if you're on Long Island, there's so much good BJJ (We have Serra, D'Arc, a guy with a freaking choke named after him for Pete's sake, plus the Kioto system and RedBoy to name a few) that going to Tiger for submission grappling is idiotic. It'd be like going to McDonalds for fine dining when Emrill is cooking next door.

I've got friends that roll at Combat Judo. Good group.

I don't know if they are the McDojo that everyone else is claiming, but they have a lot of AM MMA guys in all of the NJ & DE events and they do just as good as any other camp I have seen with regards to winning.

It is complete dogshit.

Do not even step in there.

It is for kiddie classes and women's self defense crap.

It is complete dogshit.

Do not even step in there.

It is for kiddie classes and women's self defense crap.

I don't know...I've always wanted to train with this guy:

kip-with-sai.jpg

Their guys do well in local shows, and that's mostly because they have such a ginormous talent pool to draw from, a talent pool that more often than not, is matched up against mediocre competition.

Ex- Schulman's nephew, Nissim Levy, fought his pro debut in Ring of Combat (which TSK sponsors) against an undersized pracitioner of "Estacada" (whatever the hell that is) and won.

The same Levy fought in an IFL prelim and lost.

I don't know if they are the McDojo that everyone else is claiming, but they have a lot of AM MMA guys in all of the NJ & DE events and they do just as good as any other camp I have seen with regards to winning.

A lot of those fighters have been "SPONSORED" by TSK and therefore fight for TSK, but from my understanding not many of them were trained at TSK, until recently at least.

That would explain a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their top MT guys ended up being students at Sitan or the Wat who took the sponsorship cash to wear the TSK fight shorts.

A lot of those fighters have been "SPONSORED" by TSK and therefore fight for TSK, but from my understanding not many of them were trained at TSK, until recently at least.
Okay. Thanks for the clarification Mike.

I never been to tsk but it always looked like a joked. They have these commercials with people in head gear doing triangles, armbars... they talk about fighting yet mma is illegal in nyc. I say take a yr of sambo training and you can take out any of there students

Their guys do well in local shows, and that's mostly because they have such a ginormous talent pool to draw from, a talent pool that more often than not, is matched up against mediocre competition.

Ex- Schulman's nephew, Nissim Levy, fought his pro debut in Ring of Combat (which TSK sponsors) against an undersized pracitioner of "Estacada" (whatever the hell that is) and won.

The same Levy fought in an IFL prelim and lost.

Estacada is a martial art from what I have seen has throws and punchs/kicks. there is a place here in Queens where they teach it. The guy also teaches ju jitsu not bjj, but he does lots of subs...

They have some decent guys wearing their shorts at some of the grappling tourney's I've been to. Their kids divisions seem to do well at the NAGA's, whatever that means.

I went to one of their schools last year when I was visiting my family (x-mas '06). It was in Rockland county, (Nanuet I think). the Instruction was HORRIBLE. I don't know if it was not the normal instructor b/c it was Christmas time or what, but the 17-20 people that were there that had been doing BJJ " for about a year or so" and were . . . well . . . pathetic. Although their stand up looked decent from what I saw.

Take from that what you want.

wow...i dont think I'll ever tire of shitting on Tiger Schulmann's Karate!!

Anyone notice that the name is "Tiger Schulmann's Karate"...they are telling you that its not a bjj/grappling school in the NAME!!!

That's like someone opening a "Rocco School of type writer maintenence" and then teaching airplane design there.

wow. I just went to tsk.com, and couldn't help but laugh.

Oh, and does anybody know why Chill Dog get banned?

Estacada is a martial art from what I have seen has throws and punchs/kicks. there is a place here in Queens where they teach it. The guy also teaches ju jitsu not bjj, but he does lots of subs...

Thank you for that info.

I think the earlier posters are all right in their assumptions. When it comes to LI, we're still building the MMA scene, but dammit, WE'VE GOT JITS. Some examples...

Kioto- Master Mansour recieved his black belt from the Alpha and Omega of BJJ himself, Helio Gracie. He's rather popular with cross-trainers from traditional arts because of his (alleged) more traditional approach to BJJ training.

Redboy- Mikey Triangles trains out of here and he's always had good things to say about them.

Matt Serra- ...Do I really need to spell this one out? :icon_neut

D'Arce- The guy has a freaking choke named after him for crying out loud! Plus all the competition victories (He and his students won numerous grappling tournament, and D'Arce's MMA loss was to current top 10 Middleweight and stern lecturer Kazuo Misaki) and the like.

Vamos BJJ- Two D'Arce brown belts with their own distinguished competition careers.

With all that, why would you even bother with Tiger Schulman's?

Edit- Expanding on the IFL thing, TSK was lobbying to get an IFL team to boost their visibility. As a sponsor, they were able to send two of their fighters into the prelims. Both lost I believe, the IFL didn't give Tiger his franchise, and he had to settle for a team in the craptacular World Combat League.

Edit- Expanding on the IFL thing, TSK was lobbying to get an IFL team to boost their visibility. As a sponsor, they were able to send two of their fighters into the prelims. Both lost I believe, the IFL didn't give Tiger his franchise, and he had to settle for a team in the craptacular World Combat League.

Actually, 1 tsk guy won Lyman Good. He beat Mike Dolce from Matt Lindlands Wolfpack team, but Dolce fought him in the prelim. Good is the best fighter tsk right now, I think if he trained with another school and more BJJ he would have a shot at fighter in bigger organizations.

Actually, one tsk guy won, Lyman Good. He beat Mike Dolce from Matt Lindlands Wolfpack team, but they fought in the prelim. Good is the best fighter tsk has right now, his stand up is pretty damn good and a 6-0 record. I think if he trained with another school and more BJJ he would have a shot at fighting in bigger organizations.

Back