Tiger Schulmann's Karate (TSK).

Maxbear

White Belt
Reaction score
Looking for Feedback on Tiger Schulmann's Karate (TSK).
It appears the name is mis leading - as they have kickboxing, sub grappling, and something called CORE which appears to be basic karate technique...,,,,
looking for MMA type training and want some feedback.
Anyone ever train there or know about the org?

Tiger Schulman's is the ultimate McDojo

They've produced a few good guys but by and large it's just hyper-commercialized cardio kickboxing and MMA with a karate flavor

The place is a joke in my opinion. Who did they produce? and a guy who i know that trains there said you need to be a high ranked belt(i forgot which, i think green or something) before they allow you to actually spar mma style. Save your money, join a judo/sambo/greco roman/freestyle wrestling/bjj/jjj school if you want to grapple..once you get that down cross train in kickboxing or boxing

their grappling programs are for kids (the only reason they score high at tournaments is because they stack the kids and female divisions) ... their striking classes kickboxing and karate are crap and absolutely not mma based

if you want to do mma find a good mma, bjj/wrestling, etc school with reputable instructors

Yeah, mcdojo for sure, you should go to a guy whos well known, or under someone who is trained under someone who is well known, i bet the prices are high and the instruction is not top notch.

Beware ! Do your homework on any school before you join .

didn't they recently change their name to T.S.MMA instead of TSK?

check out the site :

www.tsk.com

they have on close to my house that is a joke. it is the epitome of a mcdojo and i've seen one by my friends house in queens on bell blvd and they've been rolling once in a while. they look like a bunch of guys who bought the best brand new Gis and dont know the first thing about any form of grappling let alone jiu-jitsu. not trying to bash them but i would never go to one of their schools.

I have ALL the info you need on TSK! I used to own one....

What do you want to know? I'll give u the dirt haha

they look like a bunch of guys who bought the best brand new Gis and dont know the first thing about any form of grappling let alone jiu-jitsuQUOTE]

Hmmm they only train No Gi BJJ so I wonder what class you saw!

btw, the school in Bell Blvd has a veryyyyy good Sensei and that Sensei has turned out quite a few very good fighters.

To answer the TS's question...

Their BJJ is mediocre at best! They teach a very very basic form of No Gi BJJ along with Kboxing (MT). It is meant to be a martial art that the masses can do! However they do have classes for advanced students that are taught by Daniel Schulmann at the TSMMA HQ's

You can find out a lot by looking at their site.... www.tsk.com

They havent been doing well the last year or two in MMA (but the 4 years before that they were kicking ass all over the place) but ever since the growing popularity of MMA they have been getting their asses handed to them!

They had ONE guy go on TUF Season 3, his name was Mike Stine. He jumped guard in his first fight and lost to Kalib. That was when after you lost you went to a losers house....so nobody remembers him....he was a decent MMA fighter though.

they look like a bunch of guys who bought the best brand new Gis and dont know the first thing about any form of grappling let alone jiu-jitsuQUOTE]

Hmmm they only train No Gi BJJ so I wonder what class you saw!

btw, the school in Bell Blvd has a veryyyyy good Sensei and that Sensei has turned out quite a few very good fighters.

ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahaha the school on bell blvd in queens is a joke!!!!

Back in early 99 i kicked the fuck out of one of their "instructors" who was supposed to be an olympic level fighter (karate i think)...good os not the term i would use to describe it...unless u like oppressive contracts and BS classes/fees.

ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahaha the school on bell blvd in queens is a joke!!!!

Back in early 99 i kicked the fuck out of one of their "instructors" who was supposed to be an olympic level fighter (karate i think)...good os not the term i would use to describe it...unless u like oppressive contracts and BS classes/fees.

Im not gonna argue with you bc....well I really dont care enough to defend TSK's reputation but what do you mean by the school being a joke? DO you mean the ciriculum? the instructor? the students? etc

As far as you supposedly kicking the fuck out of one of there instructors who was an Olympic level fighter....Im confused by that!
Im confused bc we never trained anyone to be an Olympic fighter so I dont know where that bullshit came from?

I will say this....the head instructor there is LEGIT! You arent kicking the fuck out of him!
The other instructors that were there are now over in Carle Place and Rego Park - and they are good stand up fighters but not great grapplers. If you are talking about Chris Ivarone, he is about 5 foot 5 inches tall.... so CONGRATS on your win back in 99 when he was 18yrs old...your a real bad ass!

Not every martial arts school is looking to turn out UFC fighters remember that!!

If FightFinder is accurate and these two got the majority of their training at TSK: Laura D'Auguste (8-0-1) and Elvis Garcia (5-1-0).

Laura was a battered wife who ran away from her husband came to NY, she took an intro at TSK....5 years later she was considered the best female MMA fighter at her weight in the world! She was unbelievable!

Garcia was a good fighter that had injuries....he kinda lost his drive to fight and just ran his school

Shennan Maceo is the best fighter to come out of TSK! This guy would give Uriah Faber a run for his money! He is an AMAZING MT kickboxer!! He has beaten guys from Japan that came here to fight him...he was asked to fight in K-1 but the pay was SHIT so he said no!

There best boxer is probably Will Hamilton and their best female is probably Munah Holland

They have a handful of a few good boxers, a few decentttttttt MMA fighters (nobody that is great) and a few very good grapplers. They have a lot of very talented Sensei's but those guys have no desire to compete....they just run there schools!

i've seen them before with gis it was about a year ago i just got back from living in spain for quite some time so it might have changed and sorry to discredit anyone you trained with and alsoe for leaving room for people making up stories.

I'm not sure exactly where you are located but I train on Long Island at Combat Judo in Massapequa.

The training is based on Judo. (Mon-Wed-Sat) is full Gi Judo

Tues-Thurs are Gi Optional BJJ. The school is also hosting clinincs in kickboxing, wrestling and other martial arts on Fri and Sat/Sun

The head Sensei is a Judo Black Belt with a 2007 USA Judo National championship at the MAsters HW and Open Weight divisions. He is also an NAGA champion grappler, a purple belt under Matt Serra an amateur MMA fighter and a member of the Serra/Renzo Competition Team.

We have two other head Sensei who are black belts in Judo. One has learned throughout the world and in Japan. Learning under some really high level black belts.

As our sensei is a Serra student, we have recently hooked up with Joe Scarola BJJ. Joe will be teaching some of the BJJ classes at the dojo.

Tuition is $105 a month for unlimited classes

All information and the full background of each instructor can be found here www.combatjudo.us or at www.combatjudo.blogspot.com

I'm not sure exactly where you are located but I train on Long Island at Combat Judo in Massapequa.

The training is based on Judo. (Mon-Wed-Sat) is full Gi Judo

Tues-Thurs are Gi Optional BJJ. The school is also hosting clinincs in kickboxing, wrestling and other martial arts on Fri and Sat/Sun

The head Sensei is a Judo Black Belt with a 2007 USA Judo National championship at the MAsters HW and Open Weight divisions. He is also an NAGA champion grappler, a purple belt under Matt Serra an amateur MMA fighter and a member of the Serra/Renzo Competition Team.

We have two other head Sensei who are black belts in Judo. One has learned throughout the world and in Japan. Learning under some really high level black belts.

As our sensei is a Serra student, we have recently hooked up with Joe Scarola BJJ. Joe will be teaching some of the BJJ classes at the dojo.

Tuition is $105 a month for unlimited classes

All information and the full background of each instructor can be found here www.combatjudo.us or at www.combatjudo.blogspot.com

Yeah, if you're near massapequa this is definitely a good call. I'm going to be there from time to time myself now that we're both hooked up with Scarola.

Stay away from TSK, IMHO

Back