Tiger Muay Thai

RouseysCup

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, just spent the month at Tiger Muay Thai, thought I would make a post seeing as there is always a few questions about training in Thailand.

Tiger Muay Thai- Phuket

General-

At Tiger, it's predominately focused on Muay Thai. There are separate BJJ/MMA/Wrestling classes, however I found that a lot of the guys in these classes were definitely more advanced. They roll in a small room, wearing all the gear, and do not look like beginners.

The Muay Thai aspect is the most popular (obviously). No matter what skill set you are, everybody begins in the "beginners" area. This is run in a class format, under the guidance of "Mr Muiyagi" and about 8 Tiger Trainers, all former stadium champs. Classes run Monday to Sunday, morning and arvo. There are usually around 20 people each class. A typical beginners class is as follows;

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: (Sparring focused)

10mins stretching, 10mins running, 30mins group shadow boxing with an instructor on the podium, 3 different leg kick techniques with partner, 3 rounds MT sparring with pads (light), 3 rounds heavy bag, 3 rounds pad work with instructor, 100 knees on bag, 100 kicks to bag, 100 elbows to bag, then finishing with a little more running, situps and stretching. You then shake everybodys hand.

Tuesday/Thursday: (clinch/running focused)

10mins stretching, 25 mins running, shadowboxing, 3 different clinch technique drills with partner, 3 rounds of clinch sparring in ring, 3 rounds heavy bag, 3 rounds pads, 25 mins running, stretching, shake hands.

Saturday;

All of the above minus clinching, more technique. The last 20 mins is practising the Wai Kru.

Each class runs for almost 2HR:40mins.

After a while, If you can make the whole class with good technique and not clagging, you will be invited to the intermediate class, etc.

On top of this, they have optional yoga, body fit and crossfit.

If a beginner, no need to worry, just dont go balls to the wall, pace yourself as its humid. The instructors are great, and not as hardline as you may expect (although if you slack Muiyagi will hit you with a stick in front of the class).

Theres a mad food grill on site, however pretty expensive. The whole street is full of cafes that have fighter menus, don't listen to someone saying a meal is 30 baht, bullshit. Average grilled chicken, broccoli and brown rice runs about 100 baht.

Each week theres usually a fight night somewhere closeby at the stadiums, and if tiger is fighting, they encourage to go along (farang prices haha).

Last Saturday of every month they have BBQ beatdown, where you can sign up to fight. Fun night, have a drink, watch some sloppy striking in the late rounds!

Don't stay at Tiger or get the meal plan either. Meal plan is a rip, and the girls at the canteen aren't very nice, you can find cheaper, easier and better on the street. Dont stay there either, you can get a mad AC'd bungalow with cable for fuck all. Also, dont pay for a month, etc up front. You could get injured, and no refund. I paid daily or by the week.

Heaps of hot chicks, and everybody on the whole street is here for one thing, fitness. Fit slags and There's fitness camps littered with nutritional cafes.

Im here at the moment and a lot of guys are here. A chechnyan UFC fighter, Elias from TUF Canda, couple guys from TUF Australia, Patrick Cote, couple BTT guys and of course, you always run into Roger Huerta and Brian Ebersole. They are available for private pad sessions at about 30 bucks a pop I think.

Overall, great experience, loved it, heaps of fighters here including a womens world Muay Thai champ, and great training.

Any questions let me know!

Cheers

Last edited:
what make you choose TMT over Sinbi or Singpatong?

TS seems to be happy muay thai tourist
enjoying food, party, and hot chicks lol. Maybe Tiger is good for him.

It seems ridiculous, but I kind of see Sinbi/Chang/ etc more of a "fighters gym"...I just finished 6 months travelling the world getting on the piss, no sleep, etc etc

I have boxing training back home in Australia, and because I was so unhealthy travelling the last 6 months, I just wanted to ease back into training in a more own pace environment. I will return more than likely to Sinbi, however aspects of my muay thai are poor i.e.; leg flexibilty etc.

And no this whole month has been training 6 days a week, healthy diet, zero booze and zero pussy.

Everybody thinks Tiger is a holiday camp, for people to "wear the muay thai tshirt", but really, you can make it what it is. Theres a reason why a lot of fighters from Tiger are dominating the local circuit, and well know fighters go to train there. Sure, the group classes aren't the reason, however you can 1 on 1 train with stadium champs to your hearts content.......

Very informative post, thanks. Mind if I ask how much MT privates with the Thai trainers run there, or do you know? Also, are accommodations and healthy food cheaper the farther away from that area you get?

Roussy's post is spot-on. I'm wrapping up my month-long training here this Saturday. Below are some details about the training and costs.

All-inclusive training: 4000 Baht (Weekly) / 12,500 (Monthly) / 33,500 (3 Months)
Muay Thai Only: 3,000 / 10,000 / 27,000
Muay Thai/MMA: 3,500 / 11,500 / 31,000
Fitness training: 3,500 / 11,500 / 31,000

Drop in rate (1 class only): 400 baht
10-class pack: 3,750 baht

Muay Thai/Boxing/Sparring 1-on-1 (1 hour): 600 baht
Muay Thai 10-hour pack: 5,500 baht
UFC Veteran (MMA/Wrestling): 2,500 baht

Standard Meal Plan: 3,000 (W) / 12,000 (M) / 32,000 (3M)
  • 2 Meals/Day
  • 2 Small fruit plates/Day
  • 2 Water Bottle Refills/Day

Meal Plan Plus: 3,250 / 13,000 / 34,500
  • 2 Meals/Day
  • 2 Small Fruit Plates/Day
  • Unlimited Water Bottle Refills/Day

Those are the prices.

Here are some of my thoughts, most of which are the same as Roussy's:
  1. Don't buy their meal plans. Buy your own water bottles cheaply at any of the shops/stands along the street. Piece together your own meals from any of the restaurants/stands along the street. It's cheaper and you'll enjoy the diversity more.
  2. Don't stay at their accommodations. I did for the first week because I didn't know any better. It's way expensive, kind of shitty, and I was much happier when I moved off site, got way better digs, and paid 40% less for it.
  3. Don't buy their gear. Unless you HAVE to show everybody you trained at Tiger, you'll save more by buying from Phuket Fight Store or somewhere else.
  4. Tiger's Beginners Muay Thai is very cardio-centric. Lots of running and pushups. After about a week or so, your trainer will let you know you're ready to move up to Intermediate. From that point onward, it becomes more about techniques.
  5. TMT is too expensive if you just want to learn MT. It is ideal for the intermediate to expert level fighters who are interested in not just MT but MMA/BJJ as you may very well be training alongside actual UFC athletes.
  6. I'll backup what Roussy said about the girls here...wow. Lot of talent from Nordic countries, Australia, Canada, and the occasional American. You'll see fitness trainer Ocean Bloom teaching yoga/fitness classes here too. Google her.

Roussy, I've always been curious about this, and maybe you know more than I do about this: For some of the guys training here long-term (3 months-1 year) who are not sponsored athletes, how do they afford to do it? What kinds of jobs are they working that gives them so much time off?

Roussy's post is spot-on. I'm wrapping up my month-long training here this Saturday. Below are some details about the training and costs.

All-inclusive training: 4000 Baht (Weekly) / 12,500 (Monthly) / 33,500 (3 Months)
Muay Thai Only: 3,000 / 10,000 / 27,000
Muay Thai/MMA: 3,500 / 11,500 / 31,000
Fitness training: 3,500 / 11,500 / 31,000

Drop in rate (1 class only): 400 baht
10-class pack: 3,750 baht

Muay Thai/Boxing/Sparring 1-on-1 (1 hour): 600 baht
Muay Thai 10-hour pack: 5,500 baht
UFC Veteran (MMA/Wrestling): 2,500 baht

Standard Meal Plan: 3,000 (W) / 12,000 (M) / 32,000 (3M)
  • 2 Meals/Day
  • 2 Small fruit plates/Day
  • 2 Water Bottle Refills/Day

Meal Plan Plus: 3,250 / 13,000 / 34,500
  • 2 Meals/Day
  • 2 Small Fruit Plates/Day
  • Unlimited Water Bottle Refills/Day

Those are the prices.

Here are some of my thoughts, most of which are the same as Roussy's:
  1. Don't buy their meal plans. Buy your own water bottles cheaply at any of the shops/stands along the street. Piece together your own meals from any of the restaurants/stands along the street. It's cheaper and you'll enjoy the diversity more.
  2. Don't stay at their accommodations. I did for the first week because I didn't know any better. It's way expensive, kind of shitty, and I was much happier when I moved off site, got way better digs, and paid 40% less for it.
  3. Don't buy their gear. Unless you HAVE to show everybody you trained at Tiger, you'll save more by buying from Phuket Fight Store or somewhere else.
  4. Tiger's Beginners Muay Thai is very cardio-centric. Lots of running and pushups. After about a week or so, your trainer will let you know you're ready to move up to Intermediate. From that point onward, it becomes more about techniques.
  5. TMT is too expensive if you just want to learn MT. It is ideal for the intermediate to expert level fighters who are interested in not just MT but MMA/BJJ as you may very well be training alongside actual UFC athletes.
  6. I'll backup what Roussy said about the girls here...wow. Lot of talent from Nordic countries, Australia, Canada, and the occasional American. You'll see fitness trainer Ocean Bloom teaching yoga/fitness classes here too. Google her.

Roussy, I've always been curious about this, and maybe you know more than I do about this: For some of the guys training here long-term (3 months-1 year) who are not sponsored athletes, how do they afford to do it? What kinds of jobs are they working that gives them so much time off?

Hey mate, perfect add on.

Like you said yeah beginners is very cardio based, a lot of people cut it in the first week because they think thats all it is... Their just sharpening your cardio so it wont be an issue when you learn more technique etc.

About long term guys man, basically I'm aussie and I know this is what myself and alot of Aussies do. Many of us work in the mining/construction industries, so after a long project, we get paid well and recieve a generous severance pay, and have to wait to the next project.. A few guys I met here were in the same industry.

Basically, I finished a job on a gas pipeline in September 2013, and Ive been travelling the world since on my redundancy until my next job. About 15 blokes from my old project are doing the same, so I know thats how many do it.

It sucks if you work a normal 9-5 office job, with your 4 weeks annual leave a year, hard to train long term here....Mate some of those chicks in the fitness classes, slammmmmmm....Box gaps galore

Also, met Elias Theodorou a fair bit he was staying where I was.

Totally different from the show man, all round good bloke.

And there's a gun training here sponsored by Tiger, won his UFC debut and is lined up for another fight in a month or two, a Chechan Mairbek Taisumov, name to look out for!

Also, met Elias Theodorou a fair bit he was staying where I was.

Totally different from the show man, all round good bloke.

And there's a gun training here sponsored by Tiger, won his UFC debut and is lined up for another fight in a month or two, a Chechan Mairbek Taisumov, name to look out for!

Yep, I know Ebersole is here on and off and I saw Taisumov's fight at UFC Singapore a few months back and was impressed. He's solid on all fronts: striking, takedowns, ground control, etc... and i know he's got big things headed his way.

Like you said yeah beginners is very cardio based, a lot of people cut it in the first week because they think thats all it is... Their just sharpening your cardio so it wont be an issue when you learn more technique etc.

About long term guys man, basically I'm aussie and I know this is what myself and alot of Aussies do. Many of us work in the mining/construction industries, so after a long project, we get paid well and recieve a generous severance pay, and have to wait to the next project.. A few guys I met here were in the same industry.

Basically, I finished a job on a gas pipeline in September 2013, and Ive been travelling the world since on my redundancy until my next job. About 15 blokes from my old project are doing the same, so I know thats how many do it.

It sucks if you work a normal 9-5 office job, with your 4 weeks annual leave a year, hard to train long term here....Mate some of those chicks in the fitness classes, slammmmmmm....Box gaps galore

Lol, you Aussies ever think about just colonizing Phuket? might as well, given how many of you are here.

Your gig sounds pretty solid man, lots of time in-between projects to train. I like most Aussies, meet tons of them in Bali when I go to surf and many of them work a FIFO job somewhere in WA. My only issue is that a lot of you spend your hard earned money getting hammered every night and buying hookers. I've always wondered why so many of you travel outside of Australia? What's wrong with the place? You got beaches, good weather, good salaries.

You ever walk down the road and pass that one outdoor gym, Unit 27? The girls training in there...my lord. I drop in for classes there and it's always full of hot, busty, in-shape Swedish girls. Cool friendly guys there too. I always chat up this one dude everytime I go there and find out just a few days ago, he's a professional rugby player from Australia. He runs a protein-shake bar/restaurant further down the road called Muscle Bar.

Lol, you Aussies ever think about just colonizing Phuket? might as well, given how many of you are here.

Your gig sounds pretty solid man, lots of time in-between projects to train. I like most Aussies, meet tons of them in Bali when I go to surf and many of them work a FIFO job somewhere in WA. My only issue is that a lot of you spend your hard earned money getting hammered every night and buying hookers. I've always wondered why so many of you travel outside of Australia? What's wrong with the place? You got beaches, good weather, good salaries.

You ever walk down the road and pass that one outdoor gym, Unit 27? The girls training in there...my lord. I drop in for classes there and it's always full of hot, busty, in-shape Swedish girls. Cool friendly guys there too. I always chat up this one dude everytime I go there and find out just a few days ago, he's a professional rugby player from Australia. He runs a protein-shake bar/restaurant further down the road called Muscle Bar.

haha yeah bro Sandor Earl? He got done for PED's man, waiting fro clearance to play again he's currently banned. Awesome player though and good bloke.

mate on all my travels around the states, people couldnt believe aussies travel so much. You guys do school, college job, house, family...Its an aussie right of passage to travel. Everybody does it, it would be unAustralian if you haven't been outside Australia!

Yeah mate some of them sheilas at that joint are great looking. You coming back?

i have never been more sure about not going to a gym in thailand.. :)

haha yeah bro Sandor Earl? He got done for PED's man, waiting fro clearance to play again he's currently banned. Awesome player though and good bloke.

mate on all my travels around the states, people couldnt believe aussies travel so much. You guys do school, college job, house, family...Its an aussie right of passage to travel. Everybody does it, it would be unAustralian if you haven't been outside Australia!

Yeah mate some of them sheilas at that joint are great looking. You coming back?

Yea Sandor, he's a cool dude. Sucks what happened to him, but ASADA's looking to make a public example out of someone to show they mean business.

My last day of training is tomorrow (Saturday). I haven't touched anything alcoholic/fried/processed for a month so i'm going to Patong tomorrow night to party, cut loose, eat what i want, then heading out of here Sunday. I won't be back for at least a few months, but if I do come back, I'm going to look into other options besides TMT. I'm just not at the level where I can take full advantage of the high-level training from UFC instructors or the BJJ/MMA classes.

What I like about Chalong is that it's generally quiet at night with not much going on. That's very conducive to taking your training seriously. We had one dude in our beginners group who was staying in Patong but commuted all the way to Chalong for training because he wanted to live on the beach and party each night and he always gassed out quickly during sparring. His strikes also lacked any real power even though he was in decent physical shape.

That being said, I've heard great things about the girls (especially Scandinavian chicks) vacationing in Patong. I'll post up details about it after I visit.

4 weeks? lol...try 1 week paid (if you're lucky) in America.

How do you mean?

Frode likes to train seriously so it's probably not a gym for him is what I'm guessing. also, I think he's from a Scandinavian country already so that's probably not a good reason for him to go to TMT.

Currently looking into going to Thailand next year to train. Thanks for all the info.

Last edited:
How do you mean?

just not a place for my taste in training. if i am going all the way to thailand for training. then i want a simple but hardcore gym.

but i have no problem with people who enjoy tiger muay thai.

different people different needs.

Back