Tiger balm or liniment oil??

Jalalipop

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I recently started to go back to kickboxing, and got kicked lightly to my leg a couple times and I have a light bruise/walk with a limp and kicked leg will buckle if I step wrong :icon_lol: anyway Ive been using tiger balm to rub onto it and it helps a bit but I just ran into the word liniment oil...

so is this stuff better for bruises and such? namman muay thai boxing liniment

muay-thai-boxing-liniment-oil-muscular-pain-relief-60cc.jpg

or would going for this type of oil be better? wood lock
Wood_Lock_Oil.JPG

then doing a little bit more research I heard about "Dit Da Jow", and "blue heat" the later being a liniment oil from Elite FTS.

so I guess what I'm asking is what type of stuff would you guys reccomend, I just dislike not going to train because my little boo boo wont let me move they way I want to :redface:

I use Namman muay thai boxing liniment and it is the best stuff I have ever used. It works really well for muscle pain and bruises. The heat is really intense on some spots you apply it on. I say try a small bottle first and see how it works for you. I plan to get a 450ml so I can refill my 120ml bottles for gym.

Try to get DIT DA JOW
Nothing comes close to this thing.

Home grown authentic Dit Dat Jow is best ! A lot of the dit dat jow sold over the counter is BS.

Still have some from my Grandfather batch, over 35 years old.

Tiger Balm is for muscles (strong version of ben gay) & Liniment oil is for bone pain.

Also check out Zen Gui Shui. Mike Tyson back in 90's used to buy cases on this stuff from us at Kinji san.

Linment doesn't really do much for me. Dit Dow jow is what you need for bruising, especially shin bruising from heavy bags.

Use this website and get the Ho Family Jow, it worked wonders on my bruised shins and took the constant pain away. I would have had it forever if it wasn't for this.

http://www.plumdragonherbs.com/

Get mctarnahans blue horse ligament, that stuff it awesome. If your worried though, Namman is ok, I never thought it was as great as it gets made out to be, never really did much for me.

A lot of people like Tiger Balm, but that stuff always just made me feel like my skin was on fire and in a freezer at the same time--very uncomfortable, and didn't do anything for my muscle pain or bruising. I use Fighter Fix liniment to clear up bruising, and it helps a little bit with muscle pain--I really like it for my shins and forearms. I've never used Dit Da Jow, but I know some other karateka who do (they typically have their own recipes, though) and they definitely like it.

Home grown authentic Dit Dat Jow is best ! A lot of the dit dat jow sold over the counter is BS.

Tiger Balm is for muscles (strong version of ben gay) & Liniment oil is for bone pain.

This. I completely agree.
I have three private recipes: one from my great-granduncle, one from a Malaysian herbalist, and one from a family friend.

Linment doesn't really do much for me. Dit Dow jow is what you need for bruising, especially shin bruising from heavy bags.

Use this website and get the Ho Family Jow, it worked wonders on my bruised shins and took the constant pain away. I would have had it forever if it wasn't for this.

http://www.plumdragonherbs.com/

Do you apply this before or after you train?

Do you apply this before or after you train?

It should only be applied on bruises/contusions. It has no effect when you apply it while uninjured. Also, be careful not to apply it to areas of broken skin (cuts, lacerations, scrapes, etc.), it can irritate the wound and possibly cause infection.

Anyone know whats good for lifting? Like I get my callouses ripped off a lot and its kinda annoying. Is there anything that helps hands recover/prevent that?

Tiger Balm works great for ball pain.

It should only be applied on bruises/contusions. It has no effect when you apply it while uninjured. Also, be careful not to apply it to areas of broken skin (cuts, lacerations, scrapes, etc.), it can irritate the wound and possibly cause infection.

I have bad shin pain that i mostly attribute to jump roping. The gym has a very thin mat with concrete underneath, so i really feel it the most while jump roping. Do you think dit da jow will help with this?

I have bad shin pain that i mostly attribute to jump roping. The gym has a very thin mat with concrete underneath, so i really feel it the most while jump roping. Do you think dit da jow will help with this?

Do you feel swelling around the shaft of your tibia (shin bone) going up from the instep? Is it ruddy or warm to touch? If so, dit da jow might help. Warm up the dit da jow a little bit (microwave is OK, or in a pot if you're old-timey LOL), then dip your fingers in it and massage it into the swollen areas like you're trying to knead them out (but don't cause yourself excessive pain). After you're done applying the dit da jow, ice and elevate the leg if it's swollen.

However, if your leg musculature is sore (especially your anterior tibialis, the muscle that goes from just under your knee on the outside down and across the shinbone to the inside bottom of your instep an into the top of your foot), Tiger Balm might do you better. Also, if your calves and other lower leg muscles are tight, make sure you stretch them and massage them as needed to keep them loose.

If your shin bone feels sore without any swelling (it just feels sore and like it was "rattled"), try Namman Muay liniment.

If symptoms persist or worsen, scale back on skipping rope and see your doctor. What I wrote isn't medical advice, but it's what I'd do for myself if I had the same thing happen to me. Good luck.

Do you feel swelling around the shaft of your tibia (shin bone) going up from the instep? Is it ruddy or warm to touch? If so, dit da jow might help. Warm up the dit da jow a little bit (microwave is OK, or in a pot if you're old-timey LOL), then dip your fingers in it and massage it into the swollen areas like you're trying to knead them out (but don't cause yourself excessive pain). After you're done applying the dit da jow, ice and elevate the leg if it's swollen.

However, if your leg musculature is sore (especially your anterior tibialis, the muscle that goes from just under your knee on the outside down and across the shinbone to the inside bottom of your instep an into the top of your foot), Tiger Balm might do you better. Also, if your calves and other lower leg muscles are tight, make sure you stretch them and massage them as needed to keep them loose.

If your shin bone feels sore without any swelling (it just feels sore and like it was "rattled"), try Namman Muay liniment.

If symptoms persist or worsen, scale back on skipping rope and see your doctor. What I wrote isn't medical advice, but it's what I'd do for myself if I had the same thing happen to me. Good luck.

Sounds like the tiger balm would be my best bet then, i use the liniment but it doesnt really do too much to take the pain away while i jump rope. I just hate that it affects my heavy bag work since i cant blast away at the bag like i used to.
Thank you for all the advice, it was very helpful.

Sounds like the tiger balm would be my best bet then, i use the liniment but it doesnt really do too much to take the pain away while i jump rope. I just hate that it affects my heavy bag work since i cant blast away at the bag like i used to.
Thank you for all the advice, it was very helpful.

Ah, if it's an issue of tight musculature, when you're applying the Tiger Balm, try applying it by running it down the length of the muscle (i.e. in the same direction as the fibers). Put some oomph behind the fingers/palm heel that you're using so that you get a deep massage -- not only does that get the Tiger Balm deep in, but the Tiger Balm also works as a sort of massage oil. If you start catching too much friction but the muscle still feels tight/sore, just add a bit more Tiger Balm. If you hit any tension points, try kneading them out with a roughly circular motion while using the Tiger Balm in the same manner.

Two precautions: 1.) If your skin starts getting irritated or there is a fairly severe icy-hot burning sensation, wipe the Tiger Balm off and stop using it for a while; 2.) Be careful that you're trying to rub out (*snicker*) a muscular strain -- they can feel like tight, sore muscles, but are actually loose to the touch (takes practice to know the difference).

You're very welcome for the advice, I hope it works out well for you. Good luck!

theres also Bai Hua Yo which means White Flower Oil. I use that for shin bruises and muscle pain and it works the same as the liniment oil dit dow jow etc... they all have similar ingredients. the only difference is the amount. dit dow jow translates to kicked in the foot or got kicked in the foot in Chinese lol

theres also Bai Hua Yo which means White Flower Oil. I use that for shin bruises and muscle pain and it works the same as the liniment oil dit dow jow etc... they all have similar ingredients. the only difference is the amount. dit dow jow translates to kicked in the foot or got kicked in the foot in Chinese lol

The only problem with Bai Hua Yo is that it doesn't spread as easily as Namman Muay or Tiger Balm (i.e. it doesn't provide as handy a friction-reducing interface), plus it's expensive considering how small the bottle is. It has good analgesic properties though; I rub it in my nostrils when I do cadaver work or when I treat C. diff. patients -- does wonders covering gross smells (my uncle used to be a cop in Hong Kong, said he used to do that at crime scenes and taught me this trick haha).

Liniment and dit da jow work differently. Liniment doesn't work very well on soft tissue hemorrhaging but is good for muscle tension and bone bruising (analgesic and anti-inflammatory plus a good friction-reducing interface); dit da jow is great for dissipating soft hemorrhages and bone bruising (promotes circulation), but is lousy for muscle tension relief (poor friction-reducing interface). Also, dit da jow (跌打酒) literally translated means "fall strike wine"; nothing to do with feet or kicking haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back