Thumb Down Jab

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Most gyms I’ve trained at teach to rotate the wrist on the jab so that at the end of the punch it ends with the thumb facing the ground.

I’ve always thrown it that way and one day I asked why? Ive discovered that I’ve gotten different answers depending on who I ask with some even blatantly contradicting others.

So if you’ve been taught the thumb down jab (or you teach the thumb down jab), what’s the explanation you’ve recieved or given?

I punch so that my hand turns at the end of the punch and knuckles end up at a 45 degree angle, ie my thumb isn't fully down

Just feels better when I connect but I am sure someone here has a technical reason for it

so you can get full extension
so your punch has that 'snap'
thats my understanding

it's all about the physics. force generated is all about mass x acceleration. a straight punch is at maximum acceleration about two thirds the way through the motion. this is why you use rotation on any straight punch, it uses circular momentum to keep the punch accelerating until the point of impact.

Most gyms I’ve trained at teach to rotate the wrist on the jab so that at the end of the punch it ends with the thumb facing the ground.

I’ve always thrown it that way and one day I asked why? Ive discovered that I’ve gotten different answers depending on who I ask with some even blatantly contradicting others.

So if you’ve been taught the thumb down jab (or you teach the thumb down jab), what’s the explanation you’ve recieved or given?
there is only ever one reason you rotate punches and it's always the same. acceleration at the end of the punch, this is why you only rotate your fist at the last moment.

Back