Thriller in Manila.

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i just watched the thriller in manila documentary yesterday, and i was aware of ali's obnoxious personality, but i never new the true strength of frazier's hatred towards him. that shit was serious, can't say i blame him though. i used to be a massive ali fan, like most people when they first start boxing, but after reading his biography my opinion on him changed a lot.

i just watched the thriller in manila documentary yesterday, and i was aware of ali's obnoxious personality, but i never new the true strength of frazier's hatred towards him. that shit was serious, can't say i blame him though. i used to be a massive ali fan, like most people when they first start boxing, but after reading his biography my opinion on him changed a lot.

Ali did that stuff to sell the fight he played the villain and Mayweather did the same thing.

Smoking Joe Was obsessed with beating Ali and didn't no why people of his own race was believing that he was a uncle tom, just because Ali was calling him one and that made him upset. But Ali was taking the trash talk to far and Joe was getting mad, but Ali wouldn't stop.

Joe didn't understand how people were taking the trash talk seriously. The fans of the boxers were bying into the trash talk like it was real and you know fans of everyone and everything do this.

Fans of boxing that are beefing do this.
Fans of Rappers that are beefing do this.
Fans of singers that are beefing do this______All fans do this, they even start doing death threats and start fighting, even if it's all made up hype.

Ali was really messing with Joe's head to get him out of his fight game plan to rattle him and it worked.

The Many Ways Muhammad Ali Messed With Joe Frazier's Head

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...mad-ali-messed-with-joe-fraziers-head/248091/
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Why+I+Hate+Ali...By+Joe+Frazier.-a061306082

Ali (clutching a gor. doll): All night long, this is what you'll see. Come on, gor. we're in Manila. Come on, gor. this is a thrilla.

Frazier: To hear him talk, I was slower than Buck and Jenny, the pair of mules that used to work our ten acres back on the ranch.

Ali: Joe's gonna come out smokin',

And I ain't gonna be jokin',

I'll be peckin' and pokin',

Pourin' water on his smokin',

This might shock and amaze ya,

But I'll retire Joe Fray-sha.

Ah, the poetry. How we lapped it all up, then, even if its literary merits were decidedly closer to Pam Ayres than to William Wordsworth.

But it grated on Frazier like cheese. He says: "It never ended with this chump. Non-stop bull****.

Joe said Non_stop bull***** Notice that?

Smoking Joe is the type of guy who doesn't play around and is very sensitive to any thing you say. Even if you tell him come on Joe i am just selling the fight by talking trash, Joe is just that type of man.

Ali is more an Alpha Male he doesn't give a dam if Frazier's feelings get hurt, he thinks Joe needed to talk trash back and man up.

Ali,**** I believe in his heart loved and respected Joe, but Ali had a roll to play because he loved theater and the show part of selling their fights.

George Foreman Says Frazier And Ali "Genuinely Loved Each Other"

His thoughts on Joe Frazier:
"The most consistent human being that I've ever met. You wouldn't meet a Joe Frazier down today and then up tomorrow, said hello to big shots then ignore someone on the lower level, he was the most consistent human being. What you see is what you get."

Whether or not his relationship with Frazier went beyond boxing:
"Joe Frazier by the way, his daughter was a boxer and that even recreated our friendship because his daughter and I became very good friends. She's a judge now, a state judge in Pennsylvania and Joe and I would talk all the time and exchange gifts. I'm surprised I didn't know earlier that he was sick. For good reasons, maybe they finally just wanted to keep it as close as possible. He was one of my best friends."

How tough the last two days have been for him since it was announced that Frazier passed away:
"It was kinda rough. You don't just lose a friend like that and then everything is all fine and dandy but then you think about, I had good years with Joe Frazier and I was able to tell him things that ordinarily boxers are not able to tell each other. Like ‘I love you, I miss you, needing the cash,' I was able to do those things and didn't leave any stones unturned if you know what I mean. I sure would've liked to get another six or seven years with him. What a Boogieman. He loved to dance, have fun, a party animal to the end."

What the relationship was like between Frazier and Ali:
"Joe Frazier is from a big family like myself. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier were like two brothers. One that Muhammad Ali always teased the other brother and the other brother is like ‘Oh you teased me again I'm gonna fight you.' These guys genuinely loved each other. They loved each other. I don't know what Muhammad Ali is going to do once he receives that news. He loved that man. Don't let anybody fool you. There was no hate there."

Frazier gets his time to shine
"Nobody has anything but good things to say about Muhammad now," Frazier said. "I'd do anything he needed for me to help.

https://www.si.com/boxing/2009/04/22/frazier

Any man that would stand up for people getting killed that did nothing wrong and lose his job and was ready to go to jail, is not in his heart a evil mean person.

Ali did that very thing gave up his prime, his money he would of made, his dream and said to the government, send me to jail.

To fight for a people, and give up everything and say send me to jail and say, these people did nothing to him or us. Is a American and World Hero****** Not a evil man.

Must of been a difference in opinion on how to sell their fights and a difference in personality's.

That type of man wouldn't just hate someone, just because he's fighting them. Ali was just selling the fight by talking trash and Joe didn't like it and didn't think he needed to do that and took it personal. Because stupid people took it seriously and Joe was telling this to Ali and Ali was telling Joe to don't pay any attention to them and to man up and just take it and talk trash back.

Ali promoted his fights, and he used psychological warfare to get into his opponents heads. That's it.
Unless you're some sort of right-wing Neocon who hates him 'cause he refused to kill some Vietnamese who never attacked the US in the first place (news flash: The Gulf of Tonkin was a lie), there's really no reason to hate the man.

Frankly, Ali did a great service. Otherwise, people might still be getting their asses drafted today. But enough people agreed with Ali that Vietnam was bullshit!

Ali promoted his fights, and he used psychological warfare to get into his opponents heads. That's it.
Unless you're some sort of right-wing Neocon who hates him 'cause he refused to kill some Vietnamese who never attacked the US in the first place (news flash: The Gulf of Tonkin was a lie), there's really no reason to hate the man.

Frankly, Ali did a great service. Otherwise, people might still be getting their asses drafted today. But enough people agreed with Ali that Vietnam was bullshit!
i dislike shit talking clowns in general. call me oversensitive, but one of the main theories i live by is a fast fist shuts a faster mouth. and his talking didn't help against frazier, if anything it made the beatings worse. i believe ali was talking himself up in his own mind and it went far beyond simply promoting fights. i really don't understand when being rude became being confident. i bet people were a lot more polite in the wild west when everybody wore a gun.

i adore ali for the things he did in the ring, i respect him greatly for standing up to the man and not fighting in vietnam, but he should be criticised for how he dealt with frazier. it's one thing to talk shit, it's quite another to humiliate another man well beyond what was necessary.

and talking shit did him no good anyway, frazier would've died sooner than lost the first fight. he just couldn't lose.

i adore ali for the things he did in the ring, i respect him greatly for standing up to the man and not fighting in vietnam, but he should be criticised for how he dealt with frazier. it's one thing to talk shit, it's quite another to humiliate another man well beyond what was necessary.

and talking shit did him no good anyway, frazier would've died sooner than lost the first fight. he just couldn't lose.
i agree completely. nobody is perfect though, and a lot of people gloss over the imperfections in retrospect when talking about ali.

Not many boxers are perfect human beings. Just focus on their boxing.

Back