Threshold training for BJJ?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by MMouse, Nov 14, 2017.

1. MMouse Brown Belt

MMouse
    Other than rolling, what are some good exercises (sports specific or non specific) for threshold training?

Looking to supplement my BJJ as it's inconsistent getting the same rolling partners and same partners exertion for a specific work:rest ratio to track my progress.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mark Cutting War Ensemble

Mark Cutting
    I've found deadlifts (trap bar), loaded carries, sled work and static hold pull ups on rings, ring fall outs, and some kb work (swings - 100 lbs x 4 sets of 25, goblet squats) have upped my game. A strong grip is vastly overlooked in grappling.

Keep it simple. Too many people needlessly overcomplicate the issue.

ctrlaltdelete and MMouse like this.
  3. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Swimming works well.

Personally I love doing wrestling drills off the fence. Its a grinder, and although its not the primary focus, the conditioning aspect is awesome. You improve skillwork and the conditioning is up there.

MMouse likes this.
  4. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical

Rowing and swimming because your upper body is actually doing something meaningful and i assume for threshold work you want local muscular adaptations. The "left right repeated hip swing/knee slide" warm up drill could also work very specifically if you're smooth enough at it to be able to sustain threshold intensity.

MMouse likes this.
  5. MMouse Brown Belt

MMouse
    Thanks!

Yes looking for local muscular endurance. What about the Endless Rope Pull Machine, would that work as well?

And in regards to the knee slide, are you reffering to knee slide for open guard pass? (If I'm wrong, would you be able to provide a video)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM
  6. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    If you have one, yeah....but the only gym i've ever seen with one is EZA

MMouse likes this.
  7. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    You could also just attach a rope to a prowler probably.

MMouse likes this.
  8. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    [QUOTE="MMou

And in regards to the knee slide, are you reffering to knee slide for open guard pass? (If I'm wrong, would you be able to provide a video)[/QUOTE]

Yes, a lot of his switchy movements could be done for threshold work if you actually use them in your game. The warm up drill usually has you post kneeslide/opposite post opposite knee slide.

MMouse likes this.
  9. MMouse Brown Belt

MMouse
    Yes, a lot of his switchy movements could be done for threshold work if you actually use them in your game. The warm up drill usually has you post kneeslide/opposite post opposite knee slide.[/QUOTE]

Yes ofcourse. Top game/position is were its at.

I'll give it a go. Thanks man.

With muay thai, if I wasnt able to do pads or spar. I would normally do bag work as my threshold training to keep my progress consistent.

Looking to do the same for BJJ. Just a little tricky as I'm not sure which solo drills will drive the HR up as oppose to throwing endless combinations on the bag.

10. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    Yeah unfortunately the best threshold training for BJJ would be partner positional mini games with controlled rest periods, so everything else is a compromise (but with the added bonus of there being no chance of your knee exploding for like....no reason)

11. maximus__ Blue Belt

maximus__
    Partner drills in specific positions or shark tanking from a particular spot. Your training partner needs to provide the required effort to match what you are after.

Sano and MMouse like this.