Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - a nearly perfect movie

If you saw this film, how did you rate it?

• Total voters
The "don't open the bag just call the boys" paper covered in blood shook me to my core.

Movie wasnt what I expected from the trailers
It was good with lots of unexpected twists but I didnt think it was as great as advertised

the suspected rapist going to harass the mother at her job made no sense, especially if he really didnt do it
Plus the mother was causing way too much chaos to not meet a dark ending herself
Movie woulda been better if she died at the end, with her destruction caused by her own anger

Excellent movie. Stellar casting job and perfect acting from Rockwell, Harrelson and McDorman.

But.

Whoever wrote the ending needs to be pistol whipped and chucked outta window!

It was ok. Maybe I'm not a huge movie buff. I didnt go into it expecting a whole lot after Seven Psychopaths. I really thought that movie was a mess and Colin Farrell was an anxious wreck in parts of it

I may be in the minority here but I thought overall this movie was not good at all.

The writing was all over the place, character development was poor, the only decent character was Woody (but even the way he interacted with his kids was so dumb and out of place), Sam Rockwell was good but his character almost kills a guy by throwing him out a fucking window and just has to turn in his badge?
Also shit that felt very forced, random super hot British wife for Woody? Wtf, why is she there oh and a town little person.
Compared to a movie like Shape of Water this movie sucked

This to me was the same as "Get out", it was a good movie, but I wouldn´t put it in the best movie of the year category. Or at least, if its in that category it means that there aren´t very much great movies at all this year.

Excellent movie. Stellar casting job and perfect acting from Rockwell, Harrelson and McDorman.

But.

Whoever wrote the ending needs to be pistol whipped and chucked outta window!

I loved the ending.

Movie is so overrated. Not even Frances can save this piece of crap film.

Rockwell and Harrelson were the only good parts. The main character was an soul sucking cunt, made the killer (that we never see) look good in comparison.

Out of this year's group of oscar nominated movies that I've seen it was probably the best. But that's not saying much.

Finally caught this at the theater. Glad I didn't have anything spoiled for me, had no idea what it was about going in. Didn't even know Woody was in it, that was a nice surprise.

Excellent performances from Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell, Woody, and pretty much the whole supporting cast all around, all the way down to the bit roles. That's one of the strengths of a playwright who goes into film I think: they tend to understand the importance & art of casting, even better than a lot of filmmakers.

Story-wise, I was a bit pissed off at the movie for the first half, a few nagging cliches were getting in the way for me; but then McDonagh did such a great job throwing twists & subverting expectations in the second half, that by the end of the film, much like the two characters in the final scene, I was just enjoying the ride.

Overall, I rank it above Seven Psychopaths, and below In Bruges, which so far is still McDonagh's finest work for me. Glad I finally got to this, before the Oscars coming up soon, or before anything got spoiled. Very good film.

Definitely a fantastic movie. One of the best of the year. Has my vote for best ensemble acting, no doubt.

But not this year's best.

It was good, but this along with all the other nominees just re -confirms my thoughts that hollywood cinema has fallen off big time. This probably never would have even been nominated back in say 94 or 95

I had to watch unforgiven just to wash manchester by the sea and moonlight outta my brain last year.

Last edited:
What's the year's best?
I'm not done working through every film nominated for an Oscar or Golden Globe (in addition to the rest of on the list below), but I'd take Blade Runner 2049 over anything I've seen.

I'd take Wind River, Logan and even Baby Driver (which is just about as polished and perfect as any Hollywood action Blockbuster gets) over Three Billboards-- as great as it is. I'm chiefly upset over The Disaster Artist's omission from the Best Picture category because it was so obviously political:
Pink = Best Picture Nominee
Blue = Most Upsetting Omissions (for me)

Highest Rated Movies on IMDb 2017
  • (8.7) Coco
  • (8.5) Phantom Thread
  • (8.3) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • (8.3) Call Me By Your Name
  • (8.2) Blade Runner 2049
  • (8.2) Logan
  • (8.2) Paddington 2
  • (8.1) Dunkirk
  • (8.1) Thor: Ragnarok
  • (8.0) The Greatest Showman
  • (7.9) The Shape of Water
  • (7.9) Lady Bird
  • (7.9) Loving Vincent
  • (7.8) Wind River
  • (7.8) The Disaster Artist
  • (7.8) The Florida Project
  • (7.8) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
  • (7.7) Baby Driver
  • (7.7) Get Out
  • (7.7) I, Tonya
  • (7.7) The Big Sick
  • (7.7) Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • (7.6) Wonder Woman
  • (7.6) Molly's Game
  • (7.6) Gifted
  • (7.5) It
  • (7.5) Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • (7.5) John Wick: Chapter 2
  • (7.5) War for the Planet of the Apes
  • (7.5) Mudbound
  • (7.5) The Post
  • (7.4) Darkest Hour
  • (7.4) Good Time
  • (7.4) Foxtrot
  • (7.3) Beauty and the Beast
  • (7.3) T2: Trainspotting
  • (7.2) In the Fade
  • (7.2) American Made
  • (7.2) The Killing of Sacred Deer
  • (7.1) All the Money in the World
  • (7.1) Logan Lucky
  • (7.1) The Foreigner
  • (7.1) Stronger
  • (7.0) Last Flag Flying
  • (6.8) Battle of the Sexes

I'm not done working through every film nominated for an Oscar or Golden Globe (in addition to the rest of on the list below), but I'd take Blade Runner 2049 over anything I've seen.

I'd take Wind River, Logan and even Baby Driver (which is just about as polished and perfect as any Hollywood action Blockbuster gets) over Three Billboards-- as great as it is. I'm chiefly upset over The Disaster Artist's omission from the Best Picture category because it was so obviously political:
Cool. I haven't seen Wind River, Baby Driver, or Blade Runner 2049 yet. My favorite so far is between Logan and Phantom Thread.

Back