Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - a nearly perfect movie

If you saw this film, how did you rate it?

• Total voters
Despite a really strong performance from Woody Harrelson, this movie was total garbage. The dialogue was often absurd and had an overt political agenda (no sense of innuendo). The acting was often campy, and the characters consistently made bad decisions.

"F-"

I’ve been meaning to watch this and In Bruges

But when I think of that movie I always think of Dr evil

65370373.jpg

Ok, I watched this last night. I really enjoyed the movie, however, I don't know if it's multiple Oscar nods worthy.

People in rural areas are not the same and definitely do not think/behave the same as people in more densely populated areas. Things often go unreported when it comes to physical altercations. The law is not held to the same standards either all the time, especially if they're acting in a manner that most of the town agrees with.

All in all, I thought it was a very well made and acted film and I don't regret watching it in the least. The story definitely took turns that I wasn't anticipating and that made it interesting even though I was often hoping for different outcomes in various situations.

As I said above, I don't know if it merits quite the critical acclaim it's garnishing, but on the same hand, I don't believe it was a sub-par movie in any way.

This and Wind River were my favourite movies of 2017

Saw this tonight and thought it was quite good. Probably a Top 5 movie of the year.

It was a strange film, though. Tonally I found it inconsistent, veering from the fairly lighthearted tone of a dark comedy to suddenly taking itself REALLY seriously.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out why Rockwell's character wasn't arrested on attempted murder charges. I mean, he just beat the shit out of a guy and threw him out of a second-story window--right in front of the new chief of police--but all that happens is he loses his job?

All in all though I found it to be an excellent film, entirely unique and original, and very Coen-esque even though the Coens weren't involved.

I figured it was a small town 'boys will be boys' kind of attitude and it seemed like the guy didn't press charges, even forgave him in the end.

Crash is kind of in the same league. That movie had campy as fuck acting too and got all kinds of undue critical acclaim.

What did you think of the acting in Get Out? That's got multiple nominations as well including best actor and I think 3 Billboards blows it out the water.

Looks out of place alongside those greats Denzel, Oldman and DDL.

nW6NIEU.png

Have you seen Wilson yet?

I watched it recently. Had never heard of it. It is incredibly amusing and yet emotional. Woody just portrayed his character with such care emotion and intellectual self awareness that I couldn't stop watching (having just randomly flipped it on). The prison part was my favorite, but overall I was just fully engaged by his script delivery.

What did you think of the acting in Get Out? That's got multiple nominations as well including best actor and I think 3 Billboards blows it out the water.

nW6NIEU.png
Get Out got huge critical acclaim and was the biggest box office hit among the movies nominated for best picture. Its not in my top 10 but I can see why it got the nominations because of the combination of both critic and audience approval

nW6NIEU.png

I have never seen Get Out, so I can't comment.

Good to hear. I really have great expectations for this movie and been waiting for a while.
Planning on watching it next week.

I don't know, maybe movies will be written differently in the future, but right now this movie is a damn fine example of a possibly-outdated story convention.

I can feel you on that, just because "white people being racist toward black people" being a trope in pretty much every film set anywhere near the South gets old.

But the way the article is written, it mostly sounds like damned if you do, damned if you don't. The only way the writer would've been happy is if the whole movie was about how mean and evil and beyond redemption Sam Rockwell's character is.

I think the whole point of Dixon was to make a despicable guy and having him change his ways and find redemption in the end. His whole character changed in the end because of Willoughby's letter and the Billboard agency guy forgiving him even after being beat up by Dixon
The complaint isn't whether Dixon's a good character or whether his arc is valid -- it's more about whether it's okay to use delicate and super serious social matters to paint fiction.

I don't say that to stop you right where you are in your tracks, but rather to wind us back to the meat of dissent. I feel it's often the case that people diverge from the topic and it's nothing but confusion where no one's wrong but no one knows what else to say so we start every response with, "Well if you read what I already said ...." in all caps.

Adding one's own perspective without gaining new perspective makes for a very challenging discussion, so often these super serious social matters never feel as though they can ever be resolved. And of course they can't -- that's the wrong way to look at it. While racism, misogyny, bullying, the war on terror, etc., will never ever go away* -- it is the individual people who can engage in teachable moments, and it is by each individual that progress is attained.

Be that as it may, this article serves two purposes. The PRETEND purpose is co-opting THREE BILLBOARDS and using it as a platform to discuss depictions of race and the sensibilities therein. But the REAL purpose is to continue buzz for THREE BILLBOARDS during Oscar season.

* And something that definitely won't never ever never never go away? Using super serious social matters as a shortcut to tell story.

Ive been meaning to watch this for a MINUTE. The reviews have been incredible. Maybe tonight. Im going to leave this thread now before I accidentally see spoilers

I finally watched this not long ago and really enjoyed it. I like the mother, I wanna be a tough ass snippy bitch like her lol.

I can feel you on that, just because "white people being racist toward black people" being a trope in pretty much every film set anywhere near the South gets old.

But the way the article is written, it mostly sounds like damned if you do, damned if you don't. The only way the writer would've been happy is if the whole movie was about how mean and evil and beyond redemption Sam Rockwell's character is.
I get what they're saying, in that his character *should* in all purposes be the main antagonist after awhile, and some people are going to bitch about that. But I think the absurdity and outlandishness of his character is what pushes the film into the black/dark comedy territory. The whole film isn't *totally* serious, although it's subject matter is.

But I can see why some don't find the humor in an overtly racist torturer throwing people through two story windows and ending up with a redemption. I thought it was fucking hilarious.

The movie was the best imitation of a Coen flick I've seen.

Ive been meaning to watch this for a MINUTE. The reviews have been incredible. Maybe tonight. Im going to leave this thread now before I accidentally see spoilers
finally saw it. really good movie, but left something to be desired. not sure what. 8/10

Back