Crime Three American Tourists Subdue Terrorist on French Train

French Train Attack: Prosecutor Opens Terror Investigation, Dismisses Robbery Claim

French authorities on Tuesday formally opened a terror investigation into the armed attack on a high-speed Paris-bound train, dismissing the suspect's claim to be a simple robber as a "fantasy."

Paris' chief prosecutor said the suspect, Ayoub El-Khazzani, had watched a jihadi video on his cellphone just prior to the "premeditated" attack.

Morocco-born Khazzani, 25, emerged from a train restroom armed with an assault rifle, a pistol and a knife on Friday night.

He was carrying more than 270 rounds of ammunition for the automatic rifle, Fran

I was in teh TA(Brit version of the National Guard, only much smaller and poorer)about a million and one years ago. We were doing a Section Attack in a woodland training area. This being a British Army unit, we were only issued 5 blank rounds each. Two minutes into the SA, everyone had fired off their rounds and was reduced to pointing empty SLR's at each other and shouting "Bang!"

"Bang! Bang! You're dead!"

"No I'm not! I shot you first!"

"Sarge! I shot him but he's not playing dead!":icon_lol:

Believe it or not, that's a common experience in the Marines as well. Our budget is basically whatever the Navy has left over. It's minuscule compared to the other branches

Believe it or not, that's a common experience in the Marines as well. Our budget is basically whatever the Navy has left over. It's minuscule compared to the other branches

That's surprising; I always thought the USMC would have been issued with as much weapons, ammo and kit as they could carry. Which being Marines would quite a lot.:icon_chee

Really amazing what they were able to do and they deserve all the attention they're getting. Just as a thought experiment, I'm curious what they would have prevented in a "Sliders" alternate universe. 270 rounds... man good thing they stopped him.

Really amazing what they were able to do and they deserve all the attention they're getting. Just as a thought experiment, I'm curious what they would have prevented in a "Sliders" alternate universe. 270 rounds... man good thing they stopped him.

Consider how lax train security is in Europe, as well as the general aversion to implementing airport-level security checks (such as metal detectors and random searches), this wouldn't be the last time a jihadist boards a train with an arsenal in his bag, and there is a limit as to how many vacationing American soldiers are on each train.

Consider that the radicalized Europeans returning from the Middle East are now numbering in the tens of thousands, you wouldn't have a be curious for long, we will see this again one day, and the headlines probably wouldn't be as warm and fuzzy.

chucknorris.jpg

Earlier Tuesday, Khazzani's father, Mohammed, expressed shock at the terrorism allegations and insisted his son was "just like others his age, having fun, going to the beach, working."

I must have stumbled into "You Rage You Lose" unknowingly...

Thanks to America. These Americans did a great job and are true heroes.

Pretty much everyone has said the same thing: the Americans and those who helped them are heroes. The courage they showed in that situation is humbling.

But by Christ we were lucky. Courage on it's own doesn't stop rounds. If the AK hadn't jammed, anyone who tried to stop the terrorist would almost certainly have been cut to pieces before they could reach him. And he would have gone on to carry out a massacre that would have gone down in history alongside 9/11, 7/7, the Charlie Hasbro Attacks etc.

Unfortunately, as the IRA said after they tried to kill Margret Thatcher during the Brighton Bombing,

"Today you were lucky. But you have to be lucky all the time. We only have to be lucky once."

Train attack suspect confesses after revelations in academic journal
By Paul Cruickshank, CNN
December 19, 2016

150824024140-france-train-suspect-tease-exlarge-169.jpg

The alleged ISIS terrorist charged with launching a gun attack on a high-speed train last year that was thwarted by three Americans has finally started cooperating with French authorities, a source close to the investigation tells CNN.

Ayoub el-Khazzani, an alleged Moroccan ISIS recruit, was taken into custody after being restrained by a vacationing US airman, a US National Guardsman and their friend on a Thalys train travelingbetween Amsterdam and Paris on August 21, 2015. He began speaking openly to French investigators last week, the source told CNN.

150823123011-01-france-attack-heroes-0823-large-169.jpg

The Hungarian counterterrorism center TEK had already established that Abaaoud and el-Khazzani traveled to Europe together just weeks before the train attack, arriving in Hungary on August 1, according to a detailed report published last month in the terrorism studies journal CTC Sentinel. Those revelations were featured on the front page of Le Monde and other French newspapers.

According to Le Monde, it was this media coverage that probably prompted el-Khazzani to open up to authorities last week.

But in an extraordinary sign of the slow pace of intelligence sharing between European agencies, French investigators had not yet been sent the Hungarian file at the time of these disclosures, despite requesting the information.

After the CTC Sentinel study was published its co-author Jean-Charles Brisard, the director of the Center for the Analysis of Terrorism in Paris, shared the documents with French authorities, after he learned they had not yet received them from the Hungarian government, he told CNN.

In his confession, el-Khazzani said he spent just six days in Syria in May 2015, during which time he spent time in a training camp learning to handle a Kalashnikov after being persuaded to return to Europe to launch an attack by a masked fighter, the source close to the investigation told CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/19/europe/isis-train-attack-suspect-confession/

Clint Eastwood Plans Movie on Thwarted Terrorist Train Attack
10:49 AM PDT 4/20/2017 by Mia Galuppo
clint_eastwood_getty_h_2016.jpg

The Warner Bros. project is based on the book 'The 15:17 to Paris: The True Story of a Terrorist, a Train, and Three American Heroes.'

Post Sully and America Sniper, Clint Eastwood will continue his streak of moviemaking about regular guys who turn into unexpected heroes.

The director has set his next project at Warner Bros. based on the story of Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos and Spencer Stone, three Americans traveling in Europe who found themselves on a train from Brussels to Paris, where they thwarted an attempted terrorist attack by overpowering the man armed with an AK-47.

The story was heavily covered on cable news, where the friends, one of which was in the Oregon National Guard and the other in the U.S. Air Force, were lauded for their bravery.

The feature will be based on the book The 15:17 to Paris: The True Story of a Terrorist, a Train, and Three American Heroes written by Sadler, Skarlatos, Stone and Jeffrey E. Stern.

Dorothy Blyskal adapted the book for the feature, which will be produced by Eastwood, Tim Moore, Kristina Rivera and Jessica Meier.

As of late, the seasoned actor-director has found considerable success in the thrust-upon hero genre. Sully, which starred Tom Hanks as "Miracle on the Hudson" pilot Sully Sullenberger, grossed nearly $240 million at the global box office, while American Sniper earned an impressive $547 million and six Oscar nominations, including one for best picture.

Eastwood is attached as a producer to the Warner Bros. remake of A Star Is Born, which is the directorial debut of his American Sniper lead Bradley Cooper. He also is working with the studio on Impossible Odds,the true story of aid worker Jessica Buchanan, who was kidnapped by Somali pirates.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-movie-thwarted-terrorist-train-attack-995862

This should just be an occupation. Foreign governments could hire Americans to come hang out in their countries and deal with terrorists while the Euros watch and beat off.

The Warner Bros. project is based on the book 'The 15:17 to Paris: The True Story of a Terrorist, a Train, and Three American Heroes.'

Post Sully and America Sniper, Clint Eastwood will continue his streak of moviemaking about regular guys who turn into unexpected heroes.

The director has set his next project at Warner Bros. based on the story of Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos and Spencer Stone, three Americans traveling in Europe who found themselves on a train from Brussels to Paris, where they thwarted an attempted terrorist attack by overpowering the man armed with an AK-47.

The story was heavily covered on cable news, where the friends, one of which was in the Oregon National Guard and the other in the U.S. Air Force, were lauded for their bravery.

The feature will be based on the book The 15:17 to Paris: The True Story of a Terrorist, a Train, and Three American Heroes written by Sadler, Skarlatos, Stone and Jeffrey E. Stern.

Dorothy Blyskal adapted the book for the feature, which will be produced by Eastwood, Tim Moore, Kristina Rivera and Jessica Meier.

As of late, the seasoned actor-director has found considerable success in the thrust-upon hero genre. Sully, which starred Tom Hanks as "Miracle on the Hudson" pilot Sully Sullenberger, grossed nearly $240 million at the global box office, while American Sniper earned an impressive $547 million and six Oscar nominations, including one for best picture.

Eastwood is attached as a producer to the Warner Bros. remake of A Star Is Born, which is the directorial debut of his American Sniper lead Bradley Cooper. He also is working with the studio on Impossible Odds,the true story of aid worker Jessica Buchanan, who was kidnapped by Somali pirates.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-movie-thwarted-terrorist-train-attack-995862

On the one hand, it's good to see these guys get some more recognition, I always thought that was an under-reported story from that year. Those guys really are heroes.

As a film fan, normally I would be suspect of how they can squeeze two hours of drama out of what is essentially one scuffle on a train; however, after the surprise that was last year's underrated Sully, I won't question Eastwood as a director anymore. He's still got it.

I think about this thwarted attack every time France gets hit with a terrorist attack and how the number of people who have died via terrorism in France could have been MUCH higher if it had not been for these heroes involved. All of them deserve adulation, every last one of them.

One the one hand, it's good to see these guys get some more recognition, I always thought that was an under-reported story from that year. Those guys really are heroes.

As a film fan, normally I would be suspect of how they can squeeze two hours of drama out of what is essentially one scuffle on a train; however, after the surprise that was last year's underrated Sully, I won't question Eastwood as a director anymore. He's still got it.

I think the uncut version of this movie could easily be more than two hours, consider that there are 3 main characters instead of just Sully, and many more supporting actors on the train instead of just the co-captain, and the backdrop of the story involves multiple countries instead of an enclosed plane :)

Ayoub's confessions came after the book was released, and not much was talked about his pathetic life once he'd in the slammer, so I'm looking forward to see that in the film.

PS: I don't imagine many French-American actors are clamoring for the roles of the cowardice catering employees on the train who locked themselves in and refuses to open the doors to hand over the first-aid kit :D

One the one hand, it's good to see these guys get some more recognition, I always thought that was an under-reported story from that year. Those guys really are heroes.

I was thinking the same, but they managed to get enough material to write a book, so no reason why it can't be adapted into a film.

lmfao of course ameriburgers would do this way to keep the stereotype alive clint

Back