{Thoughts} on this style of lifting *NAME*

BeRGLeZ

Ramenbowl
@purple
Reaction score
I know there's a term for it, and I also know DC training employs this method.. but yeah, here it is:
It's basically what I do for the majority of my lifts =

X weight that I can get 8-10 reps on. 60-90 second rest, followed by another set of as many reps as possible (typically 4-6), another 60-90 seconds rest followed by another set of as many reps as possible (typically 3-5). Basically If I can get a total of 15+ reps for X weight I go up in weight. My goals (like everybody) is as much strength as possible, as long as I'm gaining considerable size (I have a target weight..).

An example of a standard set is as follows:
-------------------------
warmup
8r x 100kg (220lbs)
6r x 100kg (220lbs)
4r x 100kg (220lbs)
-------------------------

In about 6-8 weeks I've gained 13-15lbs, my lifts have continued to grow by about 5lbs a week
Whilst my gains have been decent, you can always do better and I'd like to get some other opinions on this type of lifting.

Cheers

well, as a beginner you're pretty much always going to make gains. If you're eating lots you'll gain weight. If you workout consistently you'll get stronger. But eventually things fail.

In this forum, and in many others, the prime focus is getting stronger. You might want to look into some other set rep schemes. As well as when and why you'd use them. A good way to do this is by using a routine someone else made.

Check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Or search online for his programme. You'll learn a lot about lifting and become familiar with linear periodization by doing it within a well structured programme.

Dan John talks about this set/rep scheme in the "Rapid Ascent" section of this link: http://danjohn.org/bp.pdf

He applies it to the power clean, military press, and front squat. Basically you do 8-6-4 of each of those exercises, and if you manage to complete all the reps, you move up in weight.

I've done alot of different routines before and I'm not exactly new to lifting. It's been an on and off thing for a few years and it's just that now I'm setting some firm goals and desires from my lifting.
My routine at the moment is:

Day 1
Squat
Bench
Barbell Row

Day 2
Deadlift
Pullups
Dips
Military Press

Hmm well I was trying to tread lightly in regards to asking people basically what they thought of the DC training method, though it's not entirely his method Im utilizing, it's just the 'rapid ascent program' as mentioned in that article you gave me.

Back