Thoughts on the UFC bloated roster? good or bad(not talking about FW)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BEATDOWNS, Nov 8, 2018.

1. BEATDOWNS

BEATDOWNS Black Belt

I personally think they have way to many fighters under contract. This is what seems to be a pretty recent list of all fighters under contract: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/29/3928296/ufc-roster-current-list-fighters

Do you think it is fine the way it is or have any ideas on how to make it better?

I think they need their own version of a " WWE Smackdown" type of format (real fighting of course) a feeder league of some sort. Top 25 fighters in each class in "Big UFC" and all the rest in the feeder league.

3 wins in the feeder and you move up and 3 losses you go down , something like that.

?

2. Sansnom

Sansnom Silver Belt

572 is not too many fighters. Having more is even better.

3. JoshTehV

JoshTehV Orange Belt

I think they could use all the fighters and talent they can get , what I think they should do is revamp the matchmaking system or fire whoever replaced Joe Silva.

Exarch01 and Devilton like this.
  4. Reach4theSky

Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

If they got rid of wmma, the roster size would be perfect..

5. cambo78

cambo78 Silver Belt

I've always felt there are way too many fighters under UFC contract. The UFC is supposedly the pinnacle of mma for the elite of the elite. More than half of the roster are C/D level fighters that could easily be in regional circuits.

BEATDOWNS likes this.
  6. Russie

Russie Black Belt

The number is probably where it needs to be given the number of cards they want to run. Looking at some of the names and you see guys that always seem to be injured or have been inactive for other reasons. Even with that number of fighters there are still issues with making some fights. Guys only wanting to fight up and not down. Not wanting to fight in so and so city or on so and so card. Some guys want to fight often where as some don't. Of course the larger percentage of names are guys used to pad cards and be regulars on prelims. That's why they are on the roster. Hard to say what the right number should be. Ideally a shorter roster with fewer cards should make for overall better fight cards. It doesn't appear the UFC will ever go back in that direction.

7. Only Here for Attachments

Only Here for Attachments Free from yellow thanks to my state's congress

I think they need to cut 300-350 fighters

BEATDOWNS likes this.
  8. Koimpact

Koimpact Brown Belt

I wish they hadn't shut down WSOF. I think it'd be beneficial to have an A league and B league

BEATDOWNS likes this.
  9. awymore

awymore Brown Belt

My only criteria for this would be if fighters are getting to fight when they want to fight. If there are fighters having to wait months for a fight because there's no room on cards, then that's an issue.

doomrider7 and BEATDOWNS like this.
  10. BEATDOWNS

BEATDOWNS Black Belt

that is almost 1/3 of the entire NFL roster. lol

11. Allingtonskates

Allingtonskates i do this shit with no effort

with the amount of events nowadays they could probably do with more.

12. BEATDOWNS

BEATDOWNS Black Belt

watered down events is the problem here.

Have fight nights be top 20-10
    PPV's top ten only

and the rest would work their way up through the feeder league

Allingtonskates likes this.
  13. neil_totally

neil_totally Purple Belt

I think the Smackdown and NXT comparisons are good, with this many fighters on the roster they clearly are just trying to get up and comers under their umbrella as early in the fighters career as possible.

The problem lies in how they’ve branded their non ppv events. Fight pass exclusive fights/events/shows, and most of the Fox cards are basically regional/feeder shows, just like NXT is to WWE’s main roster. The proble is that they’re not presented as such, they’re presented as high end cards and events, which ultimately leads to disappointment because you tune in and end up watched a bunch of ok fights featuring fighters you’ve never heard of. If they rebranded the Fight Pass and smaller Fox/ESPN+ cards to push them as “check out these killer exciting new fighters on their way to the top” or whatever, everyone would be happier

BEATDOWNS and doomrider7 like this.
  14. Wolfbrigade

Wolfbrigade Orange Belt

Without Women's Featherweigt and Men's Flyweight there are 10 divisions in UFC. That means that on average there are 50 fighters per division. Keep in mind that it's just theory. 155 and 170 surely are deeper, and divisions on the extereme ends on weight spectrum are shallower.

That being said, they could benefit from cuting 10-15% of the roster. Having so many fighters also calls for introduction of new divisions. 165 for sure, and maybe even 195. Bumping welterweights to 175 is also a good idea. Bald goof saying that 165 will thin out the neighbouring divisions is just bollocks. There is plenty of talent in that spot.

15. dhole

dhole Orange Belt

Dude only exists to disagree with people. Doesn't matter the topic.

I think 570 is a ridiculous amount of fighters to be on the roster.
    I actually like your idea of the losses relegating to the lower tier kinda like English soccer.

BEATDOWNS likes this.
  16. Sansnom

Sansnom Silver Belt

So??

The more fighters under contract the more potential for future contenders.

17. BEATDOWNS

BEATDOWNS Black Belt

This is exactly what i was trying to say and you've done a much better job, thank you!

- Keeping in mind that this new "Show/league" would still be UFC branded just on a smaller scale.

18. Guffman

Guffman White Belt

The problem with such a big roster is I can't possibly know most of these fighters enough to even have an opinion of them when I see them on the prelim cards. Without that, I have no compelling reason to watch.

I'd like to see a limited number of fighters in each division, and have them fight more often. I'm sure most would be happy with the opportunity. The bottom third of some divisions is minor league stuff. Does the premium MMA organization want to present that sort of product over and over?

BEATDOWNS likes this.
  19. BEATDOWNS

BEATDOWNS Black Belt

2017 join date and is a red belt nuff said. lol

dhole likes this.