Thoughts on Ray Cooper III?

Danespina

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
After yesterday's main event I had to do some research.

Ray Cooper III has KO wins at

- 0:34 of 1st
- 0:27 of 1st
- 0:18 of 1st <--- YESTERDAY
- 0:12 of 1st
- 0:08 of 1st
- 0:04 of 1st

Plus every win was a finish. Here's some GIFs.

vs. Adrian Bartee
giphy.gif

vs. Charles Bennett
giphy.gif

vs. Jake Shields
giphy.gif

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Always good to see Shields lose. I hadn’t seen Cooper fight before, but am a fan now.

He finished Shields in half the time that it took him to put away Charles Bennett.

Edit: Wrong

Last edited:
He is a powerful guy as the record shows. Undersized for a ww 5’7” but he can ko bigger guys. Not sure about his ground game, although he took down shields twice

first time seeing him so I need more of a sample size, but he looked damn good last night.

Unheralded island boy with no big show experience did what GSP, Lawler, Hendo couldn't. Damaged old man Shields repeatedly until the finish. He knows you have to throw strikes in order to land strikes. Nice of him to get takedowns too. I wonder if he studied Shields vs Sexyama.

Shields sure does look extremely awkward as if you'd never guess he was a pro fighter.

Dude is a fucking bomber and he fought a smart fight. Was pleasantly surprised for sure

Avenging your father with a brutal KO is some anime shit.

Hope he takes the million.

Looks like he would be naturally a 160-165er.

Instant fan after Thursday night.

It’s hard not to be a fan of fighter with a 0:04 second knockout on their professional record.

Wouldn't get too hyped up on him yet. PFL/WSOF has a history full of one-hit wonders (Josh Burkman, Smealinho Rama, Steve Carl, Luis Palomino, etc).

However, I don't think just any fighter on the PFL roster would have done that to Jake Shields, even if he is 39 years old. He railed the consensus #1 WW in the promotion like it was nothing.

Welterweight is probably the deepest class in the PFL. I wanna see how he does against Kusch, Nurmagomedov, Story, and Magomedkerimov.

It’s hard not to be a fan of fighter with a 0:04 second knockout on their professional record.

4 Second KO Below:
I had to look hard for this clip so no complaining about the quality (the guy recorded it off his laptop lol).

giphy.gif

4 Second KO Below:
I had to look hard for this clip so no complaining about the quality (the guy recorded it off his laptop lol).

giphy.gif
You, sir, are the man! Thanks for posting. This dudes a BEAST.

Between Shields losing and Khabibs cousin losing PFL lost the 2 guys that they wanted to build that tournament around. Main and Co-main event, matched specifically to win, and both got finished.

Between Shields losing and Khabibs cousin losing PFL lost the 2 guys that they wanted to build that tournament around. Main and Co-main event, matched specifically to win, and both got finished.
I feel like Cooper winning is better for PFL than Shields doing his normal 3 round dominance. We already had that with Andre Harrison and Will Brooks and most thought they were the worst parts of PFL 1 and 2.

Also Shields and Nurmagomedov can still make the playoffs if they have a good showing their next time around. Or maybe you put them together to try and force at least one through.

Last edited:
Back