Thoughts on Quintet 1?

Ryo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I hadn't seen any discussion about this at all. Just now got to check out the matches and see the results. What did you guys think of the format of the tournament? Performances etc? I was more entertained by this unconventional tournament then I have been for most others. It was alot of fun. I like the team format and different styles. Inevitably it still favors some styles more over others, but what can you do. Craig Jones was still a leg lock magician even without heel hooks. Judo guys were all completely over the hill past their prime except for Ishii...

Just finished watching this, some observations:

I liked the quintent team format, was interesting.
I didn't like the half round lengths for big weight differences, Barnett vs Gracie was a disappointing match and might have been better with more time.
Craig Jones is great.
Sakuraba is GOAT. (bias)
Sambo team seemed outmatched, would be nice to see this on a bigger scale with a wider range of teams.
The rules were a bit awkward, unclear about the closed guard and jumping guard rule. The warning system wasn't implemented super well IMO.

I look forward to more quintets, I also think fightpass is great value for money.

It was great, Craig Jones is a beast. They probably should get rid of the female commentator and find somebody else. She was more of a spectator rather than a commentator.

The Polaris team were fucking beasts. To bad Barnett’s match was so short. I would have like to see Barnett some more.

I liked it. I see huge potential for this format. It looked like a lot of fun. I had fun watching it. They just need iron out the rules and other small things. I know it can be big.

Craig Jones is a beast. I don’t know what else to say.

This just continues to show that Tokoro is the greatest.

I hate that we didn't get to see Barnett VS Ishii or Barnett VS Jones. The only real problem I have with the rules is the small amount of time allotted for when the weight difference is big. Its just too short. It needs to be changed.

This event could be huge if they handle it right. There is the possibility of having the most interesting grappling matches possibly in this promotion. I'm wondering what the money is like? Also, why the hell was the Judo dream team full of nothing but dudes way past their competitive prime (Ishii being the exception)? Granted those guys were real killers back in their prime... But still... Damn... That was awhile ago.

Also, is it possible to have any gi team matches? The gi is more interesting to me. Also it would make it more fair for the Judoka and Sambo players who likely train much less no-gi than the JJ and wrestling guys.

Also it would make it more fair for the Judoka and Sambo players who likely train much less no-gi than the JJ and wrestling guys.

Isn't any submission oriented contest just horribly unfair for non-BJJ/submission grappling oriented fighters?

Craig Jones is a beast. I don’t know what else to say.
Same here. So I thought he only had 2 matches based on the instagram highlights but I watched his third match where he didn't get the submission. It was probably my favorite one. His passing is awesome and those mounted ezekiel attempts were savage. I really love his passing and top game in general. The Sambo guy just seemed to dig in and do his best to just not get subbed. Craig was running a clinic.

Same here. So I thought he only had 2 matches based on the instagram highlights but I watched his third match where he didn't get the submission. It was probably my favorite one. His passing is awesome and those mounted ezekiel attempts were savage. I really love his passing and top game in general. The Sambo guy just seemed to dig in and do his best to just not get subbed. Craig was running a clinic.
For sure, you cannot question that sambo guys toughness. I thought the sambo guys came in over matched. I guarantee they will get better. If this thing evolves I can see everyone's game evolving.

For sure, you cannot question that sambo guys toughness. I thought the sambo guys came in over matched. I guarantee they will get better. If this thing evolves I can see everyone's game evolving.
Same. Even the Judo guys looked decent even though they sort of got squashed. I was surprised at some of the throws they were able to pull off without the gi and the rule set was definitely running against them. That ezekiel that one of their guys got from inside the other guy's guard was awesome. Without the gi I didn't think that was even possible.

Also how nice was Roberto Satoshi's brother Marcos? That guy's armlocks are insanely good. His reflexes for catching the arm were top shelf quality.

Same. Even the Judo guys looked decent even though they sort of got squashed. I was surprised at some of the throws they were able to pull off without the gi and the rule set was definitely running against them. That ezekiel that one of their guys got from inside the other guy's guard was awesome. Without the gi I didn't think that was even possible.

Those Judo guys were very high level with strong newaza. But they are old AF and past their prime. I do hope that the next Judo dream team will not be guys who's competitive prime was 20 years ago. The Judoka who hit the ezekial was Dong Sik Yoon. High level player years ago, strong newaza. Known for his wicked Juji.

Just finished watching this, some observations:

I liked the quintent team format, was interesting.
I didn't like the half round lengths for big weight differences, Barnett vs Gracie was a disappointing match and might have been better with more time.

Does this help the heavy or the light guy ? lol

I enjoyed the even a lot but found the Polaris team too stacked. I don't think they can maintain the style based teams. If they balance out the teams more I think it would be more fun.

I can't wait for the next few once they start ironing out the wrinkles. This one was awesome, tho

I enjoyed the even a lot but found the Polaris team too stacked. I don't think they can maintain the style based teams. If they balance out the teams more I think it would be more fun.

That's would be one quickest ways to kill the fun and entertainment of this competition... Why make it like every other competition?

I didn't think it was too crazy unbalanced, besides Polaris.

I'm not sure what the team in black even was. Haleo? They had some catch/pro wrestling guys with Josh and Sakuraba. Marcos and Daisuke are BJJ guys.

That's would be one quickest ways to kill the fun and entertainment of this competition... Why make it like every other competition?
Yeah I hear you, the style vs style is very cool, but the Sambo team stood like no chance. The Polaris guys are elite on the current circuit . Maybe if they gave every team at least 1 sambo dude, and 1 brazillian.

Back